What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dauer, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

An American In Paris starring Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Louis Jourdan and several actors from that era. I brought pasta for everyone (got several compliments along with vocalizations of gratitude for my contribution [there was overly greasy/salty popcorn, Hawaiian Punch, overdone cookies and overly-sweet cake as well].)

John Q is planned for next week, but I'm not going.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

2. stranger

stranger wolfwing, a feral angel

Clara, a science fiction movie I saw recently. Suspend belief, just let the love story come through. Absolutely gorgeous, heartbreaking, bittersweet.

(By the way, let the humans keep their almighty critiques, I'll take my fantasy over their bullcrap reviews any day. Elf uni earthbound blowhards.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  3. stranger

The movie Joe, perhaps Nicholas Cage's best work (along with Moonstruck). This one is very intense, fragile hearts please keep away. However if your heart can take a lot of pain you might find it rewarding. I was told a man who is no longer with us now cried when he watched this movie.

4. Arif Ghamiq

Arif Ghamiq Well-Known Member

We watched "Knowing" last night with Nicholas Cage - it's pretty good - sorta puts forth the whole Angel/Alien idea as well as determinism

stranger likes this.
  5. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Moderator

A "Do Not Watch Before Bed" horror film from South Korea, Train to Busan along with Parasite. I prefer "foreign" horror over "American" horror because they're more often filled with "competant" characters instead of "characatures" surrounding the main character.

I'm grateful that I had Korean-style barbecue "chicken" tacos to eat.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

juantoo3 likes this.
  6. juantoo3

juantoo3 ....whys guy.... ʎʇıɹoɥʇnɐ uoıʇsǝnb

Recently (re)watched A Man called Horse, Return of a Man called Horse, and Triumph of a Man called Horse

(Dumbledore was an adopted Native American long before he was headmaster at Hogwarts, and he was King Arthur before that)

Man called Horse is still a classic

Return of a Man called Horse loses a bit as sequels usually do, but still well worth watching

Triumph of a Man called Horse means well but quickly sidetracks and if missed, no great loss. But if bored, beats a lot of more recent "erunam."

The movies claim basis in history, but I have not been able to confirm the biography of John Morgan circa 1820-1850.

7. stranger

I saw parasite last night on youtube. Very well done, and not what I was expecting. A thinking man/woman's movie.

8. RabbiO

RabbiO הרב יונה בן זכריה

Considering that the original movie is based on a short story about an unnamed man (not John Morgan) from Boston (not England) who is captured by the Crow (not the Sioux) who is able, in the end, to return home, I’m not surprised you haven’t found anything.

juantoo3 likes this.
  9. stranger

Last night I watched "Nightmare Alley". I would classify it as psychological horror. Very, very intense and brilliantly acted film noir. Not a feel good movie and not for the kids, but this all-star cast just killed it. Directed by Guillermo de Toro.

A mysterious man finds work at a carnival, and in doing so, ends up finding the purpose he was made for.