Black President In The Usa? Are We Ready?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by YO-ELEVEN-11, Jan 30, 2007.

1. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

Is Obama the Front-runner?

Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2007 By PERRY BACON JR./WASHINGTON
    [​IMG]
    Enlarge Photo
    U.S. Senator Barack Obama speaks to the congregation at St. Mark Cathedral Family Church on January 15, 2007 in Harvey, Illinois.
    Jeff Haynes / AFP / Getty

Illinois Senator Barack Obama made official today what has been evident for more than two months: he's deciding whether to run for President. But in reality, his announcement that he's forming an exploratory committee means that the exploring is over.
    For the last several months, Obama, 45, has been making phone calls to prominent Democrats, meeting with labor activists, fundraisers and members of Congress and figuring out how to organize a presidential campaign staff. Last month he went to New Hampshire, where he was given a reception that veteran political observers there said was practically unprecedented, with tickets for a party fundraiser sold out days in advance. Now, having lined up several top-level Democrats to work for him, he is slated to announce his candidacy officially on Feb. 10 in Springfield, Ill., the hometown of Abraham Lincoln.
    He'll join a field that already includes Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack, Senators Chris Dodd of Connecticut and Joe Biden of Delaware, former Vice Presidential nominee John Edwards, and Cleveland Congressman Dennis Kucinich. And then, of course, there is Hillary Clinton, who has already hired a number of key staffers and may also become an official candidate by the end of this month.
    Obama starts out with a level of grassroots enthusiasm that few contenders in recent history have enjoyed. An Internet-based Draft Obama movement has picked up 15,000 signatures, and run ads in New Hampshire and Iowa promoting his candidacy and begging him to run. Donna Brazile, a Democratic strategist who is not officially working for Obama, has been getting resumes from people eager to work for the Senator's presidential campaign. Party operatives without any affiliation to Obama say they're getting cold calls from fundraisers, offering to raise $100,000 on his behalf. His book The Audacity of Hope has been a best-seller for months.
    And he will begin his campaign with some major advantages over Clinton. It will be hard, for one thing, for Clinton to dominate Obama in fundraising the way she might the other candidates. Some Democratic moneymen have already dumped other candidates to raise money for Obama. He's beloved by the Netroots activists, who can help him raise money easily over the Internet. Many liberal activists in the party, who will provide much of the energy and money for any Democratic candidate, are strongly opposed to the war, a position Obama adopted before the the conflict started — unlike Clinton, who has in the last few weeks started to distance herself from the decision to invade Iraq, saying she would not have cast the same vote she did in 2002.
    The fact that a man who has served only two years in the U.S. Senate is being embraced by so many Democrats is a sign of the party's doubts about their other contenders. In particular his candidacy has helped highlight a question that dogs Clinton constantly: even if she wins the nomination, can she win a general election? In fact, it's Obama, not Clinton, who seems to have struck the most fear in potential Presidential rivals: Edwards' staff has watched the Obama boomlet rise with particular trepidation, and it's a safe bet that the enthusiasm Obama drew in New Hampshire helped seal Indiana Senator Evan Bayh's decision not to run.
    Of course, Obama also starts out with expectations that may come back to haunt him. Because of his inclusive rhetoric, he's been embraced by liberals, moderates and even some Republicans and evangelical Christians. But no matter how many videos his campaign staff puts out showing his 2004 convention speech in which he talked about getting beyond those divides, a presidential campaign will force him to stake out clearer positions that will inevitably alienate some. Moderates and conservatives will learn that Obama has a more liberal voting record than Clinton, according to congressional voting rankings, while liberals will find that he's not in favor of pulling troops out of Iraq as fast as many would like.
    And an Obama win would have to be the ultimate triumph of hope over experience. One close adviser said the long lines at his book signings helped convince him to consider running for President this year, rather than waiting. "I certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position a year ago," Obama said in a speech on his Web site that accompanied his announcement. "But as I've spoken to many of you in my travels across the states these past months; as I've read your emails and read your letters; I've been struck by how hungry we all are for a different kind of politics."
    As a Senator for just two years, Obama has a thin record. And those who have counseled him about running have wondered if he can handle the attacks that will inevitably come in a difficult race, especially since he's never run a campaign of anything close to this intensity. "Barack is an inspiring candidate, but inspiration is not enough," says Marilyn Katz, an anti-war activist in Chicago and longtime Obama ally. "They have to transform that inspiration into organization." And there is one final issue that hovers over the Obama candidacy: race. Only a handful of African-Americans have even won statewide office in the last decade. That's why Robert Ford, a black state senator from South Carolina who is an Obama fan, says he'll back Edwards or Hillary Clinton. "Obama would need 43% in some states of the white vote to win, and that's humanly impossible," Ford says. "We in the South don't believe America is ready to elect a black President." That's not a view all civil rights activists have; Jesse Jackson, for example, all but endorsed Obama in a speech yesterday. For the moment at least, Obama enters the primary contest in a position any contender would envy — even Hillary Clinton.

I PERSONALLY FEEL THAT HIS PRESIDENTIAL FATE IS IN THE HANDS OF WHITE FEMALE VOTERS.

ANY THOUGHTS?

2. Vajradhara

Vajradhara One of Many

Namaste,

well.. with only 2 years of legistlative experience at a state level sentate post, i would think that most voters wouldn't be convinced that he would have the necessary experience to execute the duties of the President.

as for a black person being the President? I couldn't care less :) it's all about the positions they take on the issues...even though i know that, more often than not, those positions change under the pressure of special interest groups and the inevitable re-election campagin that starts 2 years into the term.

metta,

~v

3. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

Are you ready or not?

What difference does the tone of the person make? I would maybe of expected this from a white person.... But then again if a white person said that I guess it would be classed as racism... So it's ok that you pick up on his colour..... Heh.

4. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Despite the fact that we promote 'Democracy' in the world...we are a Republic, a democratic Republic...and to add to matters we have this electoral college system for electing Presidents.

The bottom line is it is more of a cat and mouse game then a political race or popularity contest. It is a matter of who can pull which states...the swing states in particular.

Sure the horse in the race matters, it also matters how beat up they are from the preliminary races. Depending on how much dirt gets slung between all the candidates early on...we'll find out how much potential our 'black' candidate or our 'female' candidates have. Will the two of them weather the storm after all the skeletons are rattled? And if one of them makes it to the finals...will the other party be able to parlay those issues or will our short attention span prevail?

Yes in this country both a black and/or female candidate will have an uphill battle in my mind...we are still a fairly predjudice nation...

5. Virtual_Cliff

Virtual_Cliff New Member

My guess from this side of the pond is that there are still too many "I'll be deep in the cold cold earth"ers to let him anywhere near the presidency. A pity since he strikes me as a dignified thoughtful man.

The question is, do the Democrats want to make a heroic statement or do they want to win?

6. Francis king

Francis king New Member

yeah, he's not black, he's a malteser... I think the fact he's a xtian will swing it more than his skin colour...

7. 17th Angel

17th Angel לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות

lol... You allowed to say that?

8. Francis king

Francis king New Member

sorry if that offends anyone... I would have edited it, but I cant...

9. InLove

InLove at peace

I think this is the main concern for me. If it isn't, then it really does say something about our country that causes me even more concern.

It's a pity that it can't be both. Personally, I'd like to see where a Clinton/Obama ticket would go....I know, right down the toilet. Too risky. Might as well hand the election over. I hate to say it, but maybe wil is right--this country just won't do it.

InPeace,
    InLove

10. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

I am with you on that.

11. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

Now thats funny. Quite frankly, in this country ,he is considered a black male, because of the way he looks. It would be funny to see someone in the press not represent him as a black man.

12. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

It was not just me.
    If somone white said that, I really do not see much back lash from that.
    Then again, in America you can always expect the unexpected.
    :rolleyes:

13. sara[h]ng

sara[h]ng New Member

Why white female voters in particular?

14. Francis king

Francis king New Member

lol, that his fate would be in the hands of white female voters.. I'm assuming yoeleven11 said this because he's a white female, and fancies Obama... u know what they say about black men... they have big feet... and u know what they say about big feet...lol... he's a handsome chap, I have to admit, but I dont think voters take much notice of handsomeness in their candidates...

it would be a shame though if he was a good egg and didnt get the gig purely because he was black... but hey, it is america we're talking about ere...

15. China Cat Sunflower

China Cat Sunflower Nimrod

Obama's getting pulled down into the mud pit by Hillary. He needs to stay on message and above the fray. Election day is a long, long time from now. There's no way he's going to be able to avoid slugging it out, but taking the bait this early just shows what a political novice he is. I don't believe Obama can win the Presidency. There's too much latent racism and bigotry in this country. Just handicapping the horses.

Chris

16. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

Pshhhhhhaw. Kucinich in 08.

Out of Iraq. No war on Iran. Out of Afghanistan. Establish a Department of Peace. Live Peace. Promote Peace. Stop backing Israel's apartheid agenda.

Tall order. If Barak Obama is up for it, great! We need more people on the Peace ballot. If not, Kucinich.

Probably Kucinich.

17. China Cat Sunflower

China Cat Sunflower Nimrod

I like Kucinich, but he doesn't have a wife. You gotta have a first lady, the people demand it. Plus, Kucinich looks too much like Eddy Munster all grown up.

Obama's got a hottie of a wife! Two good looking kids too.

Oh please lord, let Rudy be the Republican nominee. I'll never ask for anything else...ever. Amen

Chris

18. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

Naw, he's a newlywed, I guess. I heard his wife interviewed on a radio program called Sprouts recenty. Well worth a listen if you've got 30 minutes.

19. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

Sorry for the late response.

Well, the reason I say white female voters, because studies show that the "swing" vote is generally among that particular demographic group.

20. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Rudy has a chance....Obama and Hillary don't...44% of the country says it won't vote for Hillary no matter what....those odds are hard to overcome.

The dems paraded out a herd of candidates the last couple times and the leaders were injured in the fray...appears they are lining up for the same thing again....appears the public is actually losing out now that the real selections aren't made behind closed doors in smokefilled rooms...

It is all about electoral college votes..who can get the totals, Obama's count is disasterous...as is Hillary's...Now Lieberman....the Dems won't nominate him...but the Republicans might.. Could you see a Lieberman/Mckane ticket more Dems would vote cross party lines than ever before...and it would be the only way Mckane would get on a ticket....but that combination is probably to old to get the nod...

Truly our best chance for a black President was Colin Powell or Condi Rice...