Black President In The Usa? Are We Ready?

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by YO-ELEVEN-11, Jan 30, 2007.

1. China Cat Sunflower

China Cat Sunflower Nimrod

Yeah, Colin...

Condi is a lesbian, so that ain't gonna work.

Really interesting isn't it? McCain is the new Bob Dole. Rudy has a lot of skeletons in his closet. Who's that Mormon guy from Mass.?

I'm looking for the dark horse. Who's it gonna be? Some governor...not Bill Richardson. Vilsach quit. Hmm...

Hegel. If Hegel got he nomination I'd vote for him. I don't think he's running though, is he?

Don't like Hillary. Obama is a light weight. I'd vote for Russ Feingold, but he isn't running.

Still handicapping the horses.

Chris

2. flowperson

flowperson Oannes

Al Gore anyone ? Wouldn't it be refreshing to have a "pudgy" for our President... just like we are ? William Howard Taft retro time anyone ?

AL THE PAL, AL THE PAL, AL THE PAL !!!

Actually I think that they may amend the Constitution as Sen. Orrin Hatch suggested sometime ago so that Governator Arnold can run. What a trip that would be, at least he's married to a Kennedy.

flow....:p

3. wil

wil UNeyeR1

There is actually discussion that Arnold can run do to a loophole, an interpretation of the reading...it would end up at the supreme court should he try...beyond that, should he try he would be elected.

Name recognition is overly powerful. And especially when we have a guy we know can save the world, we've seen him do it numerous times in movies, doh!

Al is in trouble with his carbon footprint, no amount of spin or attempt at justifying can get him out of this one...that and the Occidental stock he manages for his family....half a billion at the last election...the increase in value of his oil stock and the amount he spends on utility bills are enough to backslide his environmental stance...

4. InLove

InLove at peace

wil, you really are bursting my bubble. But sometimes my bubble needs....yikes--I'm not even gonna say that. It might be taken out of context. :D :eek:

Anyone see the Oscars?

InPeace,
    InLove

5. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

Haha, this is funny--in the way of those things that you have to laugh at to keep from crying. Funny because it is true. Like this whole Anna Nicole Smith death thing. What the hell is that? People die every second. Many of them from starvation, bombs, sleeping land mines that suddenly wake up and do the only thing they can--explode. So a Playboy Playmate is going to be buried in the Bahamas, is it? I'm ashamed to know that.

Things to do today:
    1. Paint my TV screen opaque.
    2. Take recyclables, return movies, get more movies.
    3. Wait--I painted the TV screen opaque. Return movies.
    4. Paint.
    5. Make lunch, eat lunch.
    6. Write poetry.
    7. Read Noam Chomsky, ponder linguistics.
    8. Play with the dog. Pet my cat. (yes, and ::meow::)
    9. Eat dinner. Wash dishes.
    10. Go to meditation. Let chakras bloom.
    As far as the election goes, it's still quite a ways off--fortunately. Hopefully in the next year, rapid changes in consciousness will cause Americans to create entirely new political parties, turn off Desperate Housewives and 24 and MTV, and hold intelligent presidential debates with many candidates well versed in many issues.

I know it's a tall order, so failing that, I hope we can all go have a good laugh at the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie and be inspired to create something. ON second thought, going to the movie is totally optional, more like a remedial exercise to get people thinking just a little bit outside of and behind the box.

Wait--what was I talking about?

I'm hungry.

6. InLove

InLove at peace

You aren't thinking of painting the theatre screens are you? I have some extra canvas available, Pathless....and there's food. :)

InPeace,
    InLove

7. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Anna Nicole Smith.

I was in an airport headed to Colorado Springs...

CNN Breaking News, Anna Nicole Smith Collapses taken to hospital.

I'm there, "How is this breaking news? How is it news?"

Then people, men, women, 20's -60's are on their cell phones calling friends...like Kennedy just got shot! "Didja hear...." and then they hang up as they get one to head to their TV and they CALL ANOTHER!!

Then the news really breaks...she's announced dead. Now we've litterally gone from 10-20% of the folks making calls to 40-70% with cell phones in their ears excitedly talking, watching the screens and making calls to friends so everyone is aware...I couldn't take it, I walked away...

Every gate, every TV set I saw the same thing....folks talking about or calling friends and talking about Anna Nicole Smith!!

How does this relate to the original post??

It proves we are not ready!

Oh and the judge awarded her remains to her newborn child to make the decision.....

The question is, are we ready for ANYTHING??

8. InLove

InLove at peace

Anna Nicole Smith was a little girl who wanted to be like Marilyn. Only recently, she stated that she would give up this idea just to be at home and have babies. I am rooting for her mother. I guess. Don't know her mother.

The judge involved--I really hope he has some purpose for the way he is handling things.

This is a person we are talking about. Anna Nicole, Marilyn, JFK, Tu Pac Shakur, John Lennon, James Brown, FDR, Princess Diana, Bill and Monica--and Hillary. Brittany Spears. Jimmy and Janis. They are real people, and what do we do to them? Forget what they do to themselves. What do we do to them?

And what have they somehow done for others?

InPeace,
    InLove

9. flowperson

flowperson Oannes

Of course you all are brilliantly right in that today we are compelled to identify more with dead people as heros rather than with the living who fight on against the darkness in solitude and sorrow. And in case you haven't realized it all yet, Anna Nicole is going to be the new Marilyn. She finally got her wish, in death, the wages of sin.

flow....:rolleyes:

10. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

True, but things happen all the time to turn the election.

Maybe, or maybe not. its all relative.

Electoral college is (IMHO) a way to keep " The powers that be" in charge and at the same time saving the face of "Democracy".

Liberman/Mckane ticket. Sounds like the show "The odd couple" to me. could be a good thing, but not without its really large diagreements.

I would love to see a a Male/Female ticket myself. Maybe Obama/Clinton ticket. Now that would really rock the boat. :D

Colin would not get my vote. Conid, I would vote for, only because she can be influenced. Still do not know why she does not have a "man" though.
    :p

11. Prober

Prober Give Us This Day...

Andrew Young?

12. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

Could be good, but not enough press. Had to google him to find out who he was.

13. sara[h]ng

sara[h]ng New Member

I didn't know that white fems were considered the swing vote. It's nice to feel important! (Until I remember how the electoral college fits into it all...)

Anywho, wil, and anyone who doubts Obama's potential in the run for the presidency, the support that he has at this moment, this far before the actual election - as determined by things like the head counts at his public appearances (20,000 showed up in the rain at a recent rally in Texas) and the numbers of grassroots volunteer organizations (thousands and thousands - no exaggeration) - is unheard of.

While it is speculated that color could be an issue, I've never heard of that stopping anyone from liking him (though I'm curious how southern black society views him seeing as how a well-informed friend of mine who is a member of that group told me that many don't like Condi because they believe she has turned her back on her culture in order to succeed...) (and another tangent here, when Obama was on the cover of Time a month or so ago, the picture was severely bleached - which I can only imagine to be an intentional downplaying of his heritage...). The two biggest problems, as it seems to me, are his short time in national office and the fact that while so many varied people are attracted to him because of his encompassing speeches, not so many of them are going to continue to adore him when he makes his very left-leaning ideals more public - and they are going to become disillusioned.

And not that I'm influenced by southern black views of Condoleeza Rice (that's another discussion entirely), but I do believe she's a tool and who wants another one of those in office?

I watched the Senate's Foreign Relations Committee hearing with her, after el Presidente's January Iraq address, and one thing that she said simply shocked me. Kerry was the one questioning her and he asked, "What happens if the President's plan fails? What's our plan B?" And Condi, somewhat disgusted, said, "Why are you thinking about a plan B? If you want plan A to succeed, you put all your energy towards THAT one!" (all paraphrased, of course) Which is ridiculous and there's no way that an intelligent woman like her actually believes that... Anyway. I'm off my soapbox now. :D She's a tool.

14. YO-ELEVEN-11

YO-ELEVEN-11 Watcher

15. dauer

dauer Active Member

My mom's a white female and likes Obama over Hillary. Imo though we will see some folks vote for Hillary in part because she's female and some folks vote for Obama in part because he's black and not because of their positions on the issues. I don't think that's going to be something confined to people or who are black or people who are female either. At the same time, I think there are some people who are going to vote against Hillary or against Obama for the same reason, regardless of the issues. But I think many of those people are likely the ones who would not have voted for any democratic candidate.

I don't think it's really much different from what we see in other elections. Sometimes people have better chances because of their innate charisma or because they're from a certain part of the country. I think either Hillary or Obama would be better than what we have now.

-- Dauer

16. Pathless

Obama has distanced himself from his preacher, who until very recently was also the chairperson for his campaign's African American Leadership Committee. The Reverend got some bad press about some supposedly controversial things he's preached in his sermons.

My problem with this is that it seems to me the Reverend is much closer to being right-on than either Obama or Clinton. I find it highly disappointing that Obama would cave to media pressure and sever his ties with this man. Is Obama really in opposition to his own pastor, or is this more of a public relations issue? If it's PR, then Obama is clearly selling some of his principles and stances, or at least watering them down, which shouldn't be too surprising--after all, he's running for president.

Anyhow, why are opinions like the following deemed so nasty and controversial? America suffers from a serious strain of myopia and self-delusions if the general public cannot acknowledge the truth of the Reverend's words:

Z Blogs

17. Pathless

It's interesting to see this statement now, looking at how close the primary is between Clinton and Obama, and that Obama seems to be significantly supported by more vocal, articulate, and even self-styled 'progressive' people. Also interesting in that I don't think it will be particularly difficult for either Obama or Clinton to take the presidency with McCain as the Republican candidate.

18. Pathless

...so very interesting!

19. wil

wil UNeyeR1

It still looks to me like this isn't the year. With the debacle going on I"m still very concerned about what will happen if Hillary or the DNC pull the rug out from under Obama and he is ahead in popular vote and delegates. We'll find out just how much tension and disastisfaction their exists in our country.

If Obama gets it, 25% of Hillary voters pop over to McCain, if Hillary gets it only 10% of Obama voters move, but 25% of them just stay home. Either way McCain slides in unless he ends up shooting himself in the foot. Something Republicans are prone to do, so there is still a chance.

20. greymare

greymare New Member

i dont want to get this thread side tracked, but, can nyone please explain to me the differences between democrats and republicans. if you need to just pm me. thanks. but to your usual viewing.....................