How did you celebrate the good news?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Christians around the world celebrate Easter

-- From Moscow to Sofia, Rome to Jerusalem, Christians of the Orthodox and Western faiths celebrated Easter, prayed for a better future and relished ancient rituals on the same day this year as their religious calendars coincided. - more-

Easter this year for me also coincided with the birth of my twins...they had a party with their friends the day before...and then we got up early for Sunrise service....plenty of folks but not packed...we had a potluck brunch afterword...and then set up extra chairs in the sanctuary for all the folks who had relatives in town...and for those who may only make it to services a few times...but Easter Sunday is one of them.

During the regular Sunday service, I was with the kids and our Sunday school classes were overflowing. While the younger kids discussed the biblilical stories, with the older kids we discussed the types of things they gave up for lent, the challenge of it, whether they were able to make it and crucify the negative habits they wished to shed, what stones were rolled in their way, and whether they felt they were ready to be resurrected anew and ready for the challenges of the rest of the year...

We left service and headed down to be with my sister's family and my mother for Easter dinner...and more b-day presents for the kids. Yesterday we had snow on the ground in the DC area...we only got a dusting, but down south they got a few inches...rare cold snap for this time of year, adversely affecting the farmers who tried to get in an early planting for the year...

All in all though a prayerful, enjoyable, peaceful day around our household.

just took my family to easter service, and spent time with each other having lunch, watching movies, and enjoying the day and each other.

Saturday morning, April 8, was no spring day. As wil indicated, we got about 2 inches of the white stuff here in So. MD, but that didn't thwart the Easter Egg hunt our church was sponsoring. Still, it made less a challenging finding all the blue, red, orange, purple, yellow, and green eggs in the drifts.

Sunday, the Pastor preached on the Transfiguration for the Easter sermon. Transfigured in the Greek means "metamorphoo" where we get metamorphosis, "to change into another form". In biology, the term means "a biologcal process by which an animal physically develops after birth or hatching, involving a conspicuous and relatively abrupt change in the animal's form or structure through cell growth and differentiation" (Wiki).

Think butterfly!

We are in the cocoon of our own circumspect, waiting for the change to come, i.e. the Resurrection. But do you know that we are already changing? But we won't know what we will become until we are loosed from this cocoon. Then we will fly.....

That afternoon, I watched the last part of Jesus of Nazareth, which I hadn't watched in some time, maybe fifteen years. But this time, I imagined I was a Jew living in those days, perhaps one of the Sanhedrin or Joseph of Arimethia, struggling to find meaning in this one called Jesus. I found a whole different perspective coming from that angle, especially at the Passover meal in which Jesus introduces Himself as the Passover. Having just taught a lesson on the Ten Plagues of Egypt, I wondered what the disciples were thinking, this Person who they have staked their lives on, now proclaims Himself as the Passover.

will someone explain what eggs have to do with Christ's Resurruction? or better yet, what bunnys are doing laying eggs? i mean if anything it could be more like celebrating with trees or plants because they pertain more with resurruction than "eggs" because they are actually sown into the earth. check this out,

I Corinthians 15 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
it would be better if you read 1 corinthians 15 35-50,though. i mean that makes more sense than eggs and easter bunnies. also about the whole sacrificing something, doesn't it say in
I Timothy 4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
and also in
Psalms 51 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem. Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.
sorry, if i ruffle anyones feathers.

Last edited:
will someone explain what eggs have to do with Christ's Resurruction? or better yet, what bunnys are doing laying eggs?
Two sites worth reading I'm sure there are plenty more.

Yes, Easter, Esther, Spring Equinox, Fertility...Yes Pagan origins adopted by Christians...they indicate the reason the early church adopted many of the rituals were many of the early Christians had a Pagan heritage and a slow transition appears to have been encouraged to increase acceptability of conversion...

At my house I'm not into that much secularizing of Easter...however at church my kids did stuff and hide Easter eggs for the little ones...heck it is still about having fun while learning the stories!

This was my first Holy Week spent living in the Bible belt. (Do they still call it that?)
They're were inter-denominational services at noon all week
Monday- Christ Episcopal
Tuesday- United Methodist
Wednesday- First Christian
Thursday- First Baptist (home church)
Good Friday- Easter Cantata with professional bag pipes (Don't laugh, it was incredible! The theme was Amazing Grace.)
Sunday- Beautiful Easter services

I'm Protestant, but we had to wait to eat because one of my good friend's brother-in-law is a Catholic Priest and he had to make a three hour trip after he performed services at his church.

It was a perfect week!

will someone explain what eggs have to do with Christ's Resurruction? or better yet, what bunnys are doing laying eggs? i mean if anything it could be more like celebrating with trees or plants because they pertain more with resurruction than "eggs" because they are actually sown into the earth. check this out,

I Corinthians 15 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory. So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
it would be better if you read 1 corinthians 15 35-50,though. i mean that makes more sense than eggs and easter bunnies. also about the whole sacrificing something, doesn't it say in
I Timothy 4 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
and also in
Psalms 51 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem. Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.
sorry, if i ruffle anyones feathers.

The egg and the rabbit, are signs of spring's rebirth. The earth is waking up and life is beginning anew. They are also residual symbols of the nature religions' expressions of the new year (waking up, new life). The name Easter comes from the name "Esther" a goddess of fertility and new springs.
Like Santa Claus, the Easter bunny is more for capturing the imagination of a child. To present the wonder of new life, in a way they can begin to understand.

I know when I was a child and we were lucky enough to see chicks hatch from their eggs on Easter morning, it put the perspective of life squarely in my mind. It also made me realize the meaning of Jesus' sacrifice and and ressurection.

Incidentally. When an egg becomes fertilized, something has to die before new life can begin. That is the only way the egg and zygote can become one, and then something new.

But I'm quite certain you already knew this stuff. ;)

v/r

Joshua

Christians around the world celebrate Easter

I spent the weekend tilling the earth for new seed...(rented a backhoe and pulled silt from the river and spread it on my lawn, then dug a 100 foot drainage ditch for run off. Also dug a hole for our soon to be earth cellar, for storing goods and grain). I was definitely one with the land. :D

v/r

Joshua

i had a measely two days off. played ps2 and watched children of men and blood diamond. oh and the weather just was plain bad. 44 degrees c with little itty bitty bits of rain. cold rain!

i had a measely two days off. played ps2 and watched children of men and blood diamond. oh and the weather just was plain bad. 44 degrees c with little itty bitty bits of rain. cold rain!

:confused: 44°C multiplied by 9/5 +32 = 111.2°F that's pretty hot. I would think a cold rain would be a blessing...;)

Back