Sincere Question

Eclectic Mystic

Reaction score
Consider the formula:

y=a*b,
where y=conflict,
a=Israeli coefficient
b=Radical Islamic coefficient.

If a=0, then why does it matter what the value of b is? No matter how great, y still equals zero.

Thank you for your response Pathless.

What? I don't do math. :(

Why tell me this then?

Thank you for your response seattlegal.

seattlegal said:
Because radicalized b will then go on to other equations.

That is interesting and I agree that it points out that there are limitations to my premises. Neverthless, I do not understand why it matters what the value of b is if y=0.

Because life isn't that simple, oh that it were. Your a and b represent groups of people with emotions and resentments and momentum that is, despite appearances, now almost entirely independent of the existence of the opposition. The reactions of people can't be reduced to such simple equations, if they could be psychology would be entirely unnecessary. No doubt the situation would be greatly improved if either a or b were to suddenly cease all aggression but that wouldn't be the end of it.

Because a and b both have some merit to their side of the argument when seen from each side, therefore y shall continue because a and b cannot = c (c being finding something in the middle that can satisfy a and b at the same time).

Your a and b represent groups of people with emotions and resentments
What resentments did Israelis have towards Arabs in 1947?

The reactions of people can't be reduced to such simple equations
Since this is self-evident, why state the obvious? To expand on your point I could also say that all forms of communication lead to some kind of semantic trap.

if they could be psychology would be entirely unnecessary.
[Off topic] no comment.

No doubt the situation would be greatly improved if either a or b were to suddenly cease all aggression
That begs my original queston.

but that wouldn't be the end of it.
Would you care to ellaborate? As of now, this doesn't connect with me.

What resentments did Israelis have towards Arabs in 1947?
What sensitivity has Israel shown the Palestinian people? Since the inception of the israeli state they flouted every international convention, every ruling by the UN that they dont like. Israel did not have to be the Pariah state of the region, it chose that route, or rather its masters did. Now it has simply gone to far and for too long to be rescued and I dont like to imagine where it will all end. Your simplistic massaging of your own intellect with meaningless equations is no help for sure.

Q: are you Cyberpi by another name?

Tao

Thank you for your response Pathless.

Why tell me this then?

Thank you for your response seattlegal.

That is interesting and I agree that it points out that there are limitations to my premises. Neverthless, I do not understand why it matters what the value of b is if y=0.
Well, radicalized b is already into other equations in Africa, Asia, and elsewhere. Please remember, when working with irrational numbers, you will always wind up with an irrational number on the other side of the equation unless you multiply it by zero or subtract the irrational number. :eek:

Something to think about.

Chris,
What's the rationale behind a=0? What's the premise? Describe that and you'll have your answer.

a. is a coefficient of y, which is the conflict, so a. is a coefficient of the conflict. If the Israeli contribution to the conflict was non existent, since any number multiplyed by zero is zero,

would it mean that there would be no more conflict?

Another way of asking the same question would be to ask why it is that changing on both sides is integral for removing conflict? What if one coefficient remains "constant," or "fixed" or "too stubborn" (mathmatical terms): does that mean y still cannot reach zero?

seattlegal said:
you will always wind up with an irrational number on the other side of the equation unless you multiply it by zero
Ah............

The nature of my question is what it is regardless of what form I use to represent it. This is the form of communication I chose to attempt to convey my question. As I already stated, there are always gaps when we use forms of communication, yet we still go on communicating as human beings. But why go out of your way to tell me you don't approve of my style? If that's the case wouldn't you simply have nothing to say?

Is it just me or is it arrogant month on CR?
not an arrogant month just an august one.:D
Consider the formula:

y=a*b,
where y=conflict,
a=Israeli coefficient
b=Radical Islamic coefficient.

If a=0, then why does it matter what the value of b is? No matter how great, y still equals zero.
and vice versa, yes it takes two to tango, what is the question?

Because radicalized b will then go on to other equations

Did you ever try to realise where that radicalised b actually comes from.

Not so long ago, in 1945, a very naive man, King Ibn Saud complains to Roosevelt,"An army of jews, armed to the teeth, is planning to attack the palestenian settlements". Poor man, he figured out the anwer the hard way.

20 years later comes this

There is no such thing as a Palestinian people... It is not as if we came and threw them out and took their country. They didn't exist. -- Meir

50 years later comes this

Everybody has to move, run and grab as many (Palestinian) hilltops as they can to enlarge the (Jewish) settlements because everything we take now will stay ours...Everything we don't grab will go to them. --Sharon

They wont be radicalised !!??, I wonder why....

Back