Is it fair to insinuate about Islam?

It wasn’t meant as an accusation, I’m sorry if you read it as such. It was meant as an analogy, a suggestion of a concern that such a perspective may be a denial of something real.

It is my current belief that the universe is constantly being constructed by my mind, in every changing moment. As it is for everyone. It therefore can be changed in an instant.

s.

Hi Snoopy,

I never was offended in the slightest...quite the contrary. It did make me stop and think about something a little deeper, if I recall right. I think that thread was the one in which I was arguing all religions need deleted from our collective psyche. And so you made a valid motion to declare that there is some good in some of them. I ebb and flow on the issue in my own mind. I dont want to deny the comfort it can bring, the good it fosters. Yet time and time again I see instances where maybe the cost of that is just too high. But, all said and done, religion is not going away...my pipe dream means nothing.

Tao

Hi Snoopy,

I never was offended in the slightest...quite the contrary. It did make me stop and think about something a little deeper, if I recall right. I think that thread was the one in which I was arguing all religions need deleted from our collective psyche. And so you made a valid motion to declare that there is some good in some of them. I ebb and flow on the issue in my own mind. I dont want to deny the comfort it can bring, the good it fosters. Yet time and time again I see instances where maybe the cost of that is just too high. But, all said and done, religion is not going away...my pipe dream means nothing.

Tao

Hi Tao :)

I can see the reasons that you have for the deletion of all religions perhaps, but I can also see reasons why they exist and why they can be beneficial to individuals and societies. Your opprobrium seems to focus mainly on the Abrahamic religions; why is that - relative knowledge of them compared to others?

Also: are you still working for FotE? Did you see the Big Questions programme the other Sunday with Prof Dawkins? And have you read any Sam Harris? How much derailing is that?!! :eek:

s.

Hi Tao :)

I can see the reasons that you have for the deletion of all religions perhaps, but I can also see reasons why they exist and why they can be beneficial to individuals and societies. Your opprobrium seems to focus mainly on the Abrahamic religions; why is that - relative knowledge of them compared to others?
Its not so much that my knowledge of Abrahamics is greater, (Judaism for example I only have the most sketchy details of), but because Christianity and Islam are the two biggest and most dangerous / divisive religions that by their inherent nature allow radicalism to highjack them. Hard to believe you could ever get a radical Janist or Taoist to strap a suicide belt to his mentally incapable nephew and send him off to kill innocent people in the market. Having Tao in my handle here is no accident but I singularly and deliberately do not discuss that. The way that is spoken is not the way after all. So no, I am an ignorant yet opinionated Scot, like so many before me. My distaste and disquiet over religion as witnessed here is focused on two simply because they are the two most pressing problems.

Also: are you still working for FotE? Did you see the Big Questions programme the other Sunday with Prof Dawkins? And have you read any Sam Harris? How much derailing is that?!! :eek:
Yes, still with FOE, and have been extremely busy with the Big Ask campaign. Friends of the Earth: The Big Ask

I did see it. lol, are you referring to the bit when he could have been paraphrasing one of my posts....or do you think I may have been paraphrasing him?

As for Sam Harris, No I am afraid I have not, I had to Wiki him to find out about him. Whilst I like this quote on religion; "one of the most perverse misuses of intelligence we have ever devised." , like Dawkins I feel a deep concern and antipathy toward anyone who is making a living evangelising...even when it is atheism. Though according to that biography he shuns that label. I think like many of us here we discuss things here that we do not discuss elsewhere. I work with Christians, Pagans, Buddhists, Atheists and maybe more and its rarely productive to get into debates on religion. People know I am an atheist and thats enough.

Tao

Hard to believe you could ever get a radical Janist or Taoist to strap a suicide belt to his mentally incapable nephew and send him off to kill innocent people in the market.

No but it might make some good comedy material. :p

I did see it. lol, are you referring to the bit when he could have been paraphrasing one of my posts....or do you think I may have been paraphrasing him?

No, nothing specific! I just thought it was like CR TV. :)

s.

Back