Quote from Baha'u'llah

Ahanu

Reaction score
Where is Baha'u'llah getting the quotation from Muhammad saying, "I am Jesus?" I thought it was from the Koran. So this must simply be His interpretation of what Muhammad is saying in the Koran. Well, I am simply looking for a quick explanation, because I am at class at school, and when I was looking at this quote last night, I assumed that it was directly from the Koran.

Where is Baha'u'llah getting the quotation from Muhammad saying, "I am Jesus?" I thought it was from the Koran. So this must simply be His interpretation of what Muhammad is saying in the Koran. Well, I am simply looking for a quick explanation, because I am at class at school, and when I was looking at this quote last night, I assumed that it was directly from the Koran.

It is probably from hadith or a tradition. Remember that yahoo group website I sent you in that PM? I'll ask it there for you as well, check it out though man, ;)

It is probably from hadith or a tradition. Remember that yahoo group website I sent you in that PM? I'll ask it there for you as well, check it out though man,

Now I have done unleased confusion on the Islamic board.

Yeah, I was checking out that yahoo group about two weeks ago. I had to delete my messages in my inbox because they were full, so I deleted that link. Can you send it again? We should try and invite some of their members to the comparative religion forum. It seems that some of them have a vast knowledge of religion and history.

Bahai-Community : Bahá'í Community

I encourage you to join and ask your tough questions there. It has a really good moderator and much more knowledgeable Bahais than me.

Edit: I got the response back...

Dear Paula,

It is not from the Qur'an because Muhammad does not speak with His own
voice anywhere there. Presumably it is a hadith, but so far as I know
no one has yet been able to locate where this hadith is taken from.

warmest, Susan

I did find the following from some searches on the Baha'i Academic Research Library:

Not only are the Imáms regarded as identical one with another,[14] they are also identical in essence with the maj or prophet figures of the past: "I," says 'Alí in one tradition, "am Adam, I am Noah, I am Abraham, I am Moses, I am Jesus, I am Muhammad; I move through the forms as I wish — whoso has seen me has seen them, and whoso has seen them has seen me."[55]

Here is footnote 55:

Hadith al-Sabába, quoted al-Ahsá'í, ibid., vol. 2, p. 54. Cf. ibid., p. 115, where the Imáms are said to have spread all the revealed religious systems (shani'i'). Al-Ahsá'i comments that, although the Imáms were created after Muhammad, they are like him in their essences. Ibid., vol. 4, p. 173)

Hierarchy, Authority and Eschatology in Early Bábí Thought

by Denis MacEoin

published in In Iran: Studies in Bábí and Bahá'í History vol. 3,
ed. Peter Smith (Los Angeles: Kalimat Press, 1986) pages 95-141

and

Thus hath Muhammad, the point of the Qur'án, revealed: "I am all the Prophets." Likewise, He saith: "I am the first Adam, Noah, Moses, and Jesus." . . . Wherefore, should one of these Manifestations of Holiness proclaim saying: "I am the return of all the Prophets," He verily speaketh the truth. In like manner, in every subsequent Revelation, the return of the former Revelation is a fact, the truth of which is firmly established.

KI, pp. 152-154, italics added. 'Abdu'l-Bahá is recorded to have said "[T]he Bab states, 'I am the return of all the Prophets.'" PUP, p. 16​
So it is a tradition to be sure and most probably a Shiah one attributed to Prophet Muhammad ... there are so many of these that they are still not readily avaialble to most people. But for us Baha'is...if Baha'u'llah cites it we accept it regardless. It would be problematic to cite it in a Muslim forum I would think as many of them probably wouldn't accept the Shiah view anyway...

- Art

Sayyid Kazim Rashti taught that each of the prophets and imams had perfectly reflected the divine will; their lives and example were gradually drawing the whole of humanity toward a state of perfection. I read that he was also influenced by Mulla Sadra, "a Ulema who led the Iranian cultural renaissance in the 17th century." I see the Baha'i Faith as a way for people of various religious faiths to embrace modernity. Well, I think it is best for me to keep my theological views to myself because it usually only ends in conflict with someone who does not agree, and then we just end up fighting over what God wills. Rather, it should be beneficial in some way to my own personal spiritual growth. So, in my opinion, it is best for me to keep silent because I am honestly not certain. By the way, thanks for the neat information Arthra. I will continue searching but privately :)cool:).

Hey I think there's a book about that subject :)D)

Ciertamente! Es El Libro de Certeza!

(certainly, it's the Book of Certitude!)

btw... I'm Dah-veeth (Abeja Maya) ...my computer stopped working several months ago.... I wasn't online for several weeks, and then when I did get online, our virus protection wasn't very good, so I avoided site that have banner ads... but we got new virus protection (I hope it works!) and here I am. I tried signing in as Dah-veeth again, but either it wasn't a different password than I thought, or it was de-activated. So now I'm here as Dawud. Hopefully I'll be here for a while. I like this forum :)

Back