I need some feedback

Gatekeeper

Shades of Reason
Reaction score
My son asked me to make him a website, so I decided that it might not be a bad idea. I've put my own persoanl style, and thoughts on it, and tried to make it all positive, and motivational. It has been published, and was submited to yahoo search engine last night. My son hasn't seen it yet. I want it be ready this weekend. I'll be showing his 'new' website to him on friday, so ...

I could use a little feed back, and if you are willing, some motivational material to place on the website itself, or at least some ideas of what might beneficial to todays youth.

It also has a forum, but only one person has signed up thus far. I haven't advertised the community yet, as I want to get my son involved in recruiting members. BUT, if you know any 13 and over kids who might like to be the first to post on a new forum created just for them, send em our way. :p

You can find us here index

Btw, I appologize for my absence, I've been busy with the website, and working towards getting back in school, lol! I'll be back to posting soon, tho.

James

One small suggestion is to take out the audio track.

I would, but my son made it clear he wanted music. Maybe a suggestion for audio that is not so distracting?

Thanks

James

I would, but my son made it clear he wanted music. Maybe a suggestion for audio that is not so distracting?
Another solution is a visible button to turn off the sound at top of page.

Whether the music makes sense depends on the audience the site is being designed for. I personally like it. Who is the vocalist? A credit at bottom of page would be nice (legally required as per copyright?).

Another solution is a visible button to turn off the sound at top of page.

Whether the music makes sense depends on the audience the site is being designed for. I personally like it. Who is the vocalist? A credit at bottom of page would be nice (legally required as per copyright?).

I just put "I believe" by: Fantasia Barinno on there - is that the one you heard? There is a player under the text box where you can turn off the music. I would have put it up top, but it interferes with the look of the page.

I'm gonna put Fantasia's name under it now, so I don't infringe on copyright, lol!

Thanks

James

very good, james, ALTHOUGH, now its just another freakin site ive got to fight with the boys about them getting off. ( did that make sense) oh , you know what i mean. they are forever finding game sites etc and as i have one computer i am constantly kicking them off cos i need to talk to my "pretend friends". lol
good job by the way,im impressed.

Thanks, I just hope my son likes the new layout. He knows the theme, and likes it, but he hasn't seen the 'new' look, lol. He'll be in this weekend to let me know some more stuff to put on there.

I have a friend helping out now, and we'll be adding some good stuff for the kids. Her daughter is helping, too. I think it's fun, and a worthwhile thing to pursue. It gets my son involved, and inspired to be something better, and it does the same for my friends kid. She's a little older than my son, so she's able to help out more than he is.

I set her up as an administrater on the forum, and she's already started making changes, lol. She's added a new catagory, and new folders within that catagory, etc. Her mom is helping her, and says her daughter is having a blast, haha.

I'm not sure Austin will be too awful thrilled about the song on the home page, tho. He wanted AC/DC Back in Black on there, but I wouldn't allow it, lol. Everyone else loves the song by Fantasia, err everyone who has been helping out, haha.

I think I'll prob put up a sister site, also - and my son can have complete control over that one. This one we wanted to be a helpful site, and it 'will be' once we get more content on there. I have a child/family therapist helping out too. He'll be a great contributor to the content on there. He's been busy this week, but when he has more time, He's going to give me some intersting, and fun exercises for the members to try out.

Anyway, thanjk you greymare for you comment, and tell your son that I'll be adding more games later ...

James

I'm gonna put Fantasia's name under it now, so I don't infringe on copyright, lol!
James, I wonder if you need BMI authorization. It would be some kind of royalty arrangement.

Simply crediting the artist with their work does not obviate copyright restrictions.

I don't know; there is no profit to be made at the site, so there is no profit to be made from the music. Look at myspace, and nearly everyone has music on their pages, and playlist.com where you can create an entire playlist to put on there.

If we were somehow making a profit from the music, there might be something to worry about, but just having it play on the site, I see little copyright infingement.

I'll look into it, but I don't see a problem ...

James

there is no profit to be made at the site, so there is no profit to be made from the music. Look at myspace, and nearly everyone has music on their pages, and playlist.com where you can create an entire playlist to put on there.
Yes, but many of those myspace web pages were created by artists promoting their own music. They are the copyright holders. They're not violating someone else's copyright by putting up their own music as a means of self-promotion.

As for the folks getting heard on playlist.com, they are willing participants, aren't they?

If we were somehow making a profit from the music..

I think the legal argument is that you are depriving the artist of income - and this could be true even if you aren't making anything on it.

Let me know what a copyright lawyer says.

I just contacted a lawyer, and I'll know something soon - Thanks for your concern, Netti. I'd hate to get in trouble over a song on a website.

James

I just contacted a lawyer, and I'll know something soon - Thanks for your concern, Netti. I'd hate to get in trouble over a song on a website.

James
James, no prob. Btw, this is from the playlist site:

"Projectplaylist.com allows you to discover all of this free music legally because we respect the rights of copyright holders and we insist that you do as well. We pay royalties to songwriters and music publishers, and we respect the performing artist’s choice."
About Project Playlist | Project Playlist | Music Playlist || Facebook Playlist, Tagworld, Stickam, Hi5, Gaia, Friendster, Xanga, Myspace Music Player, Facebook Music Playlist, Myspace Music Playlists

Playlist could argue that you are promoting your site at their expense because it's costing them money to pay royalties to songwriters and music publishers.

I don't know what the legal implications are of using a Playlist music player on a personal website without an index link to them. The way it is now, I think you're bypassing playlist.com and also the advertizers who sponsor playlist.com.

Playlist.com could argue that you are jeopardizing their chances of receiving advertizing funding from their sponsors by making it unnecessary for people to go to their site to hear the music. They can go to your site instead.

so, if I place a link to their website on the music page, do you think that will do? They gave me the code for the music player, so I was under the impression that this would be o.k.

Hmm, lots to consider here, Netti - Thanks for your help!!!

James

so, if I place a link to their website on the music page, do you think that will do?
Dunno. Maybe ask them.

They gave me the code for the music player, so I was under the impression that this would be o.k.
You mean you had correspondence with them with discussion about terms of use?

No, they ask on their pages if you want to put the player on your own website, and when you click the link, it gives you the code for the player. I just heard back from the lawyer, and it does seem that I need a license, lol. they are expensive, too $340 + per year ...

w0w! I dunno if it is worth it - is there a cheaper way that you know of to maybe license just a couple songs instead of their entire collection of music?

You're a big help, Netti - I had no idea of the leagal aspects of having music on a website ..

James

Netti, I asked a lawyer about playlist.com, and he said that if they allow us to embed their player on the website, then it should be fine. They have paid all the fee's associated with the music, so all is well. My son will be a happy camper, lol.

Thanks again

James

Back