McCain's VP Pick, Palin

Discussion in 'Politics and Society' started by lunamoth, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Netti-Netti

Netti-Netti Well-Known Member

Namaste Will.

Many young voters are not represented in the polls because they have unlisted cell phones.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

You are correct, this is registered voters that folks can contact. However the variance between the polls and the results during the primary were not so different overall, (some states had issues with Hillary votes ending up significantly higher but that was blamed on repbublicans switching sides)

Polls are what polls are I agree, but when they show a change there is something going on (even if they aren't exactly accurate)

I've followed the Real Clear Politics site for a while and it is fairly reliable, neck and neck race that it is much is within the margin of error.

With the margins that Obama will win New England, New York and California by there is an increasingly likely chance that he will win the popular vote even if he doesn't get the electoral vote (the presidency).

3. bob x

bob x Well-Known Member

WHAT in the world are you talking about? I did not discuss any "charges" whatsoever. I spoke of my visceral reaction to her: people describe her as "likable" and whatnot, but she struck me as the kind of woman that I would not want to have living next door, let alone trust with a position of power. Like Quahom, you seem to be responding to some imaginary person bearing no resemblance to me.

4. bob x

bob x Well-Known Member

Sarah already took us for $300 million on that bridge.

5. Dor

Dor Bible Thumper

I think it is pretty easy to see that she has down right scared the democrats.

6. Quahom1

Quahom1 What was the question?

Dor, I see two highly qualified presidential "teams", who must now fight for and win the hearts, minds and votes of the citizens of this country. How they go about it will determine who will be the next president/vice president, of our nation, a team we will have to live with for the next four years...

If either "team" slips up and underestimates the American psyche/soul, then the crash and burn will not be a pretty sight.

No "chards" this time, I think.

I also think the majority of society is watching very carefully, as so much is at stake right now. And I think a careless moment or a flippant response will reveal the winner and loser, in the American eye.

As I said earlier, I do not think it will be close, when people actually get into the voting boothes. 48 days and counting...

7. bob x

bob x Well-Known Member

"repulsed" would be more accurate.
    I, on the other hand, have had the gloomy feeling all year long that this election is bound to be disputed, and turn on a contentious recount that will leave half the country feeling ripped off. The division remains very stark, and still very close to a 50/50 split.

8. Faithfulservant

Faithfulservant Well-Known Member

I'll be there.. and ya'll pretty much know what side of the room I'll be on... ;)

9. Dor

Dor Bible Thumper

The Democrats have wrote the book on repulsive behavior for this election already.

"South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler sharply attacked Sarah Palin today, saying John McCain had chosen a running mate "whose primary qualification seems to be that she hasn’t had an abortion.”

10. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

I am curious to see if Mrs. Clinton likes Sarah Palin. I think she should have gotten the Dem. nomination and wonder if she would get some satisfaction out of Sarah winning? I think I will become active in the political process again.

Bobx, the halfway split is guaranteed from now until forever, so long as we have a two party process that uses heavy statistical polling to make adjustments throughout the election process. Its just mathematical.

11. Faithfulservant

I heard this from somewhere.... I think Dor relayed it to me.. anyways..

Imagine McCain and Palin won and a few months down the road he dies...
    Then Palin moves into the presidential position and brings Hilary on board as her VP.. what a thought eh? men would go nuts I reckon..?

12. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Well, its going to be rough whatever happens. If McCain wins then I'm predicting Hillary will get the next nomination and win the presidency in 2012. If not, then in 2012 Sarah Palin gets nominated either as Republican or a third party candidate and hangs chads with Obama. I also predict that one of the Vice Presidential candidates will invent 'The electric car'. (we'll keep you up to date with more predictions as new data becomes available)

13. Quahom1

Like I said Dor, careless or crass comments are going to make or break this election, and it does not have to be from the presidential hopefulls...

14. Faithfulservant

The media I think will be its own worst enemy in this case.

15. Quahom1

Will be? CNN just "canned" two of its shining stars, for the duration of the campaign...due to "INSTANT" uproar over their commentaries during one of the conventions.

Even the media knows where its bread is buttered...

16. Pathless

Pathless Fiercely Interdependent

Ain't that the sad truth.

I'm sure I don't have to spell out my feelings on all of this for y'all, seeing as how I once spent months and months blustering through my anger at what to me are the unconscionable actions of America.

I will give the conservatives this: they certainly know how to sensationalize elections. In the past couple of weeks, I've blinked in confusion as certain elements of American society have gotten downright slap-happy about Sarah Palin.

Yet the McCain campaign still evades the issues and plays to the basest elements of what politics can be. Now we have less of a genuine presidential election about ideas and policies; it's become a high school 'election' to see which beautiful, popular person gets the prize of running the country.

Bizarre, bizarre, bizarre.

17. Quahom1

Amazing how such a "conservative" group can become a quick study...

However, the Obama campaign has yet to unveil its "change" agenda for any serious consideration (I am very interested in the details to this concept).

48 days left...what are the two parties waiting for???

18. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

My prediction, no dispute, but a lot of upset, Obama wins popular vote hands down, McCain wins electoral college.
    Hillary will be all the more unelectable in 4 years.
    Good questions, neither party is being very clear about their ideas, I for one am awaiting the debates and hoping we get to see some substance.

Sarah is polarizing that is for sure, and has brought all those Republicans who were disappointed in the McCain nomination right back in the fold.

McCain will resign for health reasons third year and Sarah will run as an incumbent.

19. Faithfulservant

wow wil.. Im seriously impressed because I think I agree on every point you made

20. bob x

bob x Well-Known Member

That's not what I am referring to. Back in the days of, say, Eisenhower versus Stevenson, people from both parties took it for granted that the Republic would still stand regardless of which candidate won; nobody thought it was the end of the world. Sometimes, one candidate or the other would be Just Flat Out Unacceptable to a large part of the other side: some thought Roosevelt was a Communist or even the Antichrist; I remember people thinking of Nixon as in the same category with Hitler. But nowadays, there are about 45% who find McCain/Palin flat-out unacceptable, about 45% who find Obama/Biden flat-out unacceptable, no way to sway anyone from one side to the other, just a scramble for what might capture a slightly bigger half of the vanishing remnants of the "center".