Great spirit

mee

Interfaith Forums
Reaction score
one of the ten indian commandments is
REMAIN CLOSE TO THE GREAT SPIRIT .

that must be this one JEHOVAH
Jesus said: "God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth."—John 4:24.

As Revelation 4:11 says:

"You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created." There are no persons, human or spirit, who do not owe their life to Jehovah God, the Creator.

one of the ten indian commandments is
REMAIN CLOSE TO THE GREAT SPIRIT .

that must be this one JEHOVAH
Jesus said: "God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth."—John 4:24.

As Revelation 4:11 says:

"You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they existed and were created." There are no persons, human or spirit, who do not owe their life to Jehovah God, the Creator.
That is a suposistion on the part of the native american beliefs.

The logic is in error (e.g. If the one is called the Great Spirit and Abrahamic faiths call God a spirit and great, then the Great Spirit of the one, must be the same as the Abrahamic God).

This is false, because within the ranks of so-called Christians alone, there is disparity in who "God" is. Add the Jewish faith and the Islamic faith's versions of "God" and well, most will get the picture.

i was just looking at the ten indian commandments and the second one was about the great spirit and it brought JEHOVAH to my mind :)

i was just looking at the ten indian commandments and the second one was about the great spirit and it brought JEHOVAH to my mind :)
That is called sympathetic recall, by association with a familiarism.

That is called sympathetic recall, by association with a familiarism.
maybe it means i am remaining close to the great spirit and i do not forget who he is (JEHOVAH) :)

I quite like the 9th indian command its
BE TRUTHFUL AND HONEST AT ALL TIMES

Mee likes that one :) and the 6th one is
DO WHAT YOU KNOW TO BE RIGHT

Mee likes that one too

God’s people have made known the divine name to such an extent
we see being fulfilled Jehovah’s declaration:

"From the sun’s rising even to its setting my name will be great among the nations." (Mal. 1:11) mee will continue to make known the truth about Jehovah and "bless his holy name to time indefinite, even forever."—Ps. 145:21.:)

Perhaps you too have read this name in your Bible, as at Psalm 83:18.

Not everyone will want to listen when mee speaks about Jehovah.
Many people did not listen even when Jesus, the Great Teacher, talked about Him. But that did not stop Jesus from speaking about Jehovah.

That is a suposistion on the part of the native american beliefs.

The logic is in error (e.g. If the one is called the Great Spirit and Abrahamic faiths call God a spirit and great, then the Great Spirit of the one, must be the same as the Abrahamic God).

This is false, because within the ranks of so-called Christians alone, there is disparity in who "God" is. Add the Jewish faith and the Islamic faith's versions of "God" and well, most will get the picture.

Dunno Q, being part Native American, I've grown to see it just a bit differently.

There is a trinity; Great-Grandfather (Wakantonka to the Lakota), Grandfather (Tunkashila {sp?} to the Lakota), and the Mother Earth.

There are the four directions, we call the cardinal compass points, but there is similarity with the 4 archangels, and the 4 "corners" of the Earth.

Perhaps the Native American beliefs are no so richly regimented and documented, but when one realizes that early Hebrew settlements dating well back into the BC era are known in New England (predating Leif Erickson's Vikings by at least a thousand years), it gets a bit more difficult to try to separate and distinguish between the Judeo-Christian G-d and the Native American G-d.

What say you of the numerous finds of Celtic Irish Ogham throughout the US, dating no later than 800 AD? When they quote the Bible in stone, are they referring to the Christian G-d? In America? Long before Columbus?

I can allow that not all is cut and dried; history and anthropology seldom are so simple. Certainly it is difficult to find similarity with say the human sacrifice of the Aztecs and Christianity. But a blanket dismissal without closer inspection I feel is unwarranted. ;)

There is much of migrations to the New World we have yet to place in perspective. Not everybody before Columbus crossed over from Siberia. :D

not to sure where they come from , i have a pic of an indian with feathers on his head and the words of the ten commandments are on it .

i was just reading them :)

Dunno Q, being part Native American, I've grown to see it just a bit differently.

There is a trinity; Great-Grandfather (Wakantonka to the Lakota), Grandfather (Tunkashila {sp?} to the Lakota), and the Mother Earth.

There are the four directions, we call the cardinal compass points, but there is similarity with the 4 archangels, and the 4 "corners" of the Earth.

Perhaps the Native American beliefs are no so richly regimented and documented, but when one realizes that early Hebrew settlements dating well back into the BC era are known in New England (predating Leif Erickson's Vikings by at least a thousand years), it gets a bit more difficult to try to separate and distinguish between the Judeo-Christian G-d and the Native American G-d.

What say you of the numerous finds of Celtic Irish Ogham throughout the US, dating no later than 800 AD? When they quote the Bible in stone, are they referring to the Christian G-d? In America? Long before Columbus?

I can allow that not all is cut and dried; history and anthropology seldom are so simple. Certainly it is difficult to find similarity with say the human sacrifice of the Aztecs and Christianity. But a blanket dismissal without closer inspection I feel is unwarranted. ;)

There is much of migrations to the New World we have yet to place in perspective. Not everybody before Columbus crossed over from Siberia. :D
Indeed, I am familiar with the native American faith from my neck of the woods. And you hit the nail on the head with the "trinity". If mee was as familiar, I doubt this thread would have been created as the OA intended. ;)

not to sure where they come from , i have a pic of an indian with feathers on his head and the words of the ten commandments are on it .

i was just reading them :)
talk about stereotyping...:rolleyes:

talk about stereotyping...:rolleyes:

lol

i remember where i got the pic from now, it was from a shop in spain that sold alsorts of indian stuff , and when i bought a leather belt with turquiose stones in it, they put the poster pic in the bag as well . i was just having a read of it ,and it inspired me to think about the great spirit JEHOVAH

The Bible shows that we humans who live here on the earth are not the only living, intelligent persons in the universe.

It reveals that, just as there is a fleshly realm of creatures who breathe earth’s air, drink its water and feed on its food,

there is also a spirit realm, not dependent on earth’s provisions for life.

And it shows that the Chief One in that spirit realm is the Creator himself, Jehovah God.

Of him Jesus said: "God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth."—John 4:24.

lol

i remember where i got the pic from now, it was from a shop in spain that sold alsorts of indian stuff , and when i bought a leather belt with turquiose stones in it, they put the poster pic in the bag as well . i was just having a read of it ,and it inspired me to think about the great spirit JEHOVAH

The Bible shows that we humans who live here on the earth are not the only living, intelligent persons in the universe.

It reveals that, just as there is a fleshly realm of creatures who breathe earth’s air, drink its water and feed on its food,

there is also a spirit realm, not dependent on earth’s provisions for life.

And it shows that the Chief One in that spirit realm is the Creator himself, Jehovah God.

Of him Jesus said: "God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth."—John 4:24.
There is nothing humorous here, mee. Debasing a people to a characature is not funny. Your words ring hollow.

not coming from you.
JEHOVAH is a great spirit .......from meeeee:)

even the most high one... psalm 83;18........from the bible

God is invisible to human eyes (Ex 33:20; Joh 1:18; 1Ti 1:17),

and he is alive and exercises unsurpassed force throughout the universe.
(2Co 3:3; Isa 40:25-31)

Christ Jesus states: "God is a Spirit [Pneu´ma]."

The apostle writes: "Now Jehovah is the Spirit." (Joh 4:24; 2Co 3:17, 18)

For the record, here is the complete list, found on a Cherokee website:

The Ten Indian Commandments

1. Remain close to the Great Spirit. 2. Show great respect for your fellow beings.
3. Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.
4. Be truthful and honest at all times.
5. Do what you know to be right.
6. Look after the well being of mind and body.
7. Treat the earth and all that dwell there on with respect.
8. Take full responsibility for your actions.
9. Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.
10. Work together for the benefit of all man kind.

Source: http://www.birdclan.org/tenc.htm

Back