I Voted!

wil

UNeyeR1
Reaction score
As I'll be out of town...I mailed in.

Of course mail in and provisional votes don't really count.

Each state has limit where a recount would be required.

Most of which eliminate the counting of these...

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
As I'll be out of town...I mailed in.

Of course mail in and provisional votes don't really count.

Each state has limit where a recount would be required.

Most of which eliminate the counting of these...

What is a provisional vote?

Reaction score
My wife has already voted. I like voting in person. The poll is at the Church of Christ right around the corner. There's never any wait. The whole process is run by the nicest really old people you could want to meet. I think I'll take the girls this year as they are old enough to appreciate and remember the experience.

Chris

Reaction score
What is a provisional vote?

It's in case you might have hit your vote out of bounds or in the water.:)

It's a ballot with some small anomaly which won't be counted unless there's a recount. Like if you forget to bring ID in a state that requires it you can vote but your ballot is held provisionally in case of a recount.

Chris

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
It's in case you might have hit your vote out of bounds or in the water.:)

It's a ballot with some small anomaly which won't be counted unless there's a recount. Like if you forget to bring ID in a state that requires it you can vote but your ballot is held provisionally in case of a recount.

Chris

Thank you Chris. :)

I voted on a real voting machine at the polling place, so it was not a mail-in. It was a computer, but the ballot itself was a print-out that I checked before casting it.

I did take my girls with me, and it being one of the early days the people there were all fresh and enthusiastic, rather than stressed out from the long lines we tend to get around here on election day. I think my kids got a kick out of it, and they also got the "I voted" stickers at the end. Especially good, I think, is that the people running the poll (old, but not ancient, and very very nice) made a big deal about the people who first-time voters (announcing and applauding), which made a good impression on the girls.

Pathless

Fiercely Interdependent
Reaction score

Chris

Are you saying that some votes, because they are mail-in or 'provisional', don't get counted? That smells awful. This system is such a crock. Democracy, my white ass.

brucegdc

Reaction score
Traditionally, the early and mail-in votes aren't counted unless they'd make a difference in the outcome (if candidate A is leading by 500K votes, and there's 40K early votes, counting them won't make a difference). Given the massive shift to early voting (I've seen estimates of 30% of people will be voting early/absentee), the numbers will probably be sufficient to make a difference in almost all jurisdictions.

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
Traditionally, the early and mail-in votes aren't counted unless they'd make a difference in the outcome (if candidate A is leading by 500K votes, and there's 40K early votes, counting them won't make a difference). Given the massive shift to early voting (I've seen estimates of 30% of people will be voting early/absentee), the numbers will probably be sufficient to make a difference in almost all jurisdictions.

So, they count until the remaining pool gets below the point where it could make any difference in the outcome. Makes sense. Thanks!

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Junior Moderator, Intro
Reaction score
I haven't, but I've been discussing American Politics 101 with my Russian Studies professor (he recently got his citizenship.)

It's so bloody difficult to discuss politics on campus when there are so bloody many people who should have a meeting of the minds through their skulls (sorry for the violence but, unless one has sat listening to hardheads "discussing" opposing political views [it's worse if they live together!])

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

wil

UNeyeR1
Reaction score
A provisional ballot is one that is used when they run out of the regular ballots.

Should happen less with the electronic booths, but even then they only have so many cards.

So they estimate how many folks will be at each polling place and they prepare for that. When they run out of the official methodology they'll provide some sort of provisional ballot (paper) and they'll call for more to get delivered.

This is the big argument in inner city polling places that they ran out of time or ballots, and it is racially or anti democraticly motivated. The provisionals, mailins, earlies...in most states as was described don't get counted...millions of votes last election.. enough to turn the tide...no, we always need to remember about that college system...

Janz

What's Amatta U
Reaction score
I voted early with a mail in ballot and then hand delivered it to a box with an election judge present at the Clerk and Recorder's office. El Paso County in Colorado has been having some hijinks and misinformation happening already. Makes me wonder if any of our votes really matter anymore.

El Paso County is one of Colorado’s most-populated counties. It’s also, undeniably, a GOP stronghold with a rich legacy of political hijinks and shenanigans — usually inspired by Republicans. And that leaves plenty of progressives leery that, come Election Day, Clerk and Recorder Bob Balink will do everything he can to make it difficult, or at least unpleasant, for non-Republicans to vote.

Each day the saga of El Paso County's County Clerk continues regarding his consistent voter disinformation and now outright stripping of some voter's secret ballot status. The national press needs to start making their reservations in Colorado Springs for the lawyers have. Last weeks news and now this weeks escalation

After being rebuked by the Governor over open disinformation and State Senator Morse's charges 12-point indictment of Balink's effort to date:

1. Adamantly oppose any move to use paper ballots in an election, since it leaves an audit trail and makes mistakes "too easy" to track.

2. Favor election machines that have only a limited audit trail and use election machines that have been decertified — if they’ve failed accuracy tests that makes them even better.

3. Hire unqualified people to do the work in the clerk’s office.

4. Claim illegal residents are registering to vote and spend your limited time and resources to keep people from registering to vote instead of making sure people do register ... and do it under the guise that — gasp — illegal immigrants are trying to vote!

5. Purge the rolls of inactive voters and define the word "inactive" aggressively.

6. Send a letter to Colorado College — but not the Air Force Academy — with false information regarding voter registration. If you’re caught, claim you misinterpreted the law and pray no one actually looks at the law.

7. Reduce the number of early voting locations so people can’t vote early and conveniently.

8. Challenge each new voter registration. (out of 49,000 +)

9. Process registrations as slowly as possible so people get their mail ballots slowly and don’t have time to vote by mail.

10. Systematically challenge Colorado College students on the day of the polls.

11. Claim at every opportunity that you are saving the taxpayers money by limiting voting. By slashing early voting centers and opposing the cost of paper ballots, officials can claim they are saving cash and being "good stewards" of the taxpayers’ money.

12. When accused of attempting to suppress the vote and limiting voting, stay out of sight. Whatever you do, don’t talk to the media. Just send out press releases denying plausibility.

http://coloradoindependent.com/10844/lawmaker-calls-out-el-paso-clerk-balink-for -12-point-strategy-on-voter-suppression

Now things continued being unpleasant over the Columbus Day weekend for Balink. A serious backlog has occurred going into the many thousands regarding individuals seeking Mail In Ballots, ironically following Balink's own request on the local news because this year's ballot takes a voter over an hour to complete. Tomorrow Democratic lawyers in are meeting regarding this serious problem in Colorado's second largest county. Tomorrow he is releasing another plea to the press for people to do Mail In.

BAM! Today possibly a bigger foreboding item cropped up when it was learned that Replacement Mail In Ballot recipients will have their party affiliation pasted on the front/center of their return envelope. Meaning on the label identifying the voter is the abbreviation PTY DEM (or in the other case PTY REP or PTY UNA or PTY GRN or PTY LIB).

Alarms went off all over the place as lawyers and State Officials learned of this new glitch and began to scramble. Ironically this all rose with my replacement (or spoiled) ballot. (It had to happen to many voters as I found that Balink's office had made what is now being commonly found an clerical error in data entry.) Naturally the implications are enormous as this party designation essentially strips away the apparent secrecy of the ballot for the voter. Be it the mail carrier, mail processor, mail delivery and mail room persons, all who handle this piece of mail will have an opportunity to identify the party affiliation of the voter and potentially assume the voter's intent without an official witness to the processing of the ballot in that stage, unlike any other part of the voting collection or accounting process. What makes Mail In ballots inherently secret, is that in all other cases, there are no identifying marks on the label or envelope identifying the voter's apparent affiliation or their intent.

The only remedy for me or any other voter using a replacement Mail In ballot across the entire state is to hand deliver it to the County Clerk, whereby it is only to be handled by two election judges. In El Paso County they originally mailed out 110,000 Mail In ballots on October 3rd. Subsequently they are processing up to 2000 mail in ballot requests (and falling behind more and more each day) making the total somewhere between 14,000 and 15,000 for this week. Efforts by the campaigns and public relations in his office are aggressively encouraging more voters to use Mail In ballots to avoid long lines on November 4th. Individuals have until October 28th to request one. Multiply this statewide and possibly over one million mail in ballots will be distributed. How many will eventually be spoiled? One percent, two percent? That would mean 10,000 to 20,000 ballots will lose a degree of secrecy? Not good.

In Florida in the 2000 election it was found that 10,000 absentee ballots were found tossed out because they had two dots on them designating them as Democrats. If the election is close could it be decided by motivated carriers or mail room attendants who are not accountable?

And the Republicans are worried about ACORN??
grin.gif
grin.gif

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
My son and I always vote absentee.. but my wife recently voted at the Voter Registrar and it took a long time.. I've also seen people vote in a Mall and it seemed pretty well organized. My daughter and other son haven't voted yet. Being Baha'is we are all registered Independents/Nonpartisans.

- Art

bob x

Reaction score
Michigan is one of the states that has avoided implementing any kind of early voting except the old-style absentee ballots for which you need a good excuse. I will be standing in line a week from Tuesday like usual.

Joedjr

A Sometimes Member
Reaction score
Voted today. Took 1.5 hours to get in the door to vote. The weather here was good and the neighbors in line, friendly, so it went quickly.
Joe

Reaction score
I voted today. I'm proud and humbled that my children watched their father vote for the first African American president of the United States. This is truly a great day!

Chris