who is Michael the Archangel?

mee

Interfaith Forums
Reaction score
Is there anything here to make us believe that Michael and Jesus Christ are the same person?

Well, Jesus is called "the Word." (John 1:1) He is God’s spokesman.

This special angelic messenger, too, was clearly God’s chief spokesman to the Israelites.

The name "Michael" means "Who Is Like God?" thus indicating that this foremost prince upholds Jehovah’s sovereignty.

Since Michael is also a champion of God’s people, we have reason to identify him with the unnamed angel that God sent ahead of the Israelites hundreds of years before:

"Here I am sending an angel ahead of you to keep you on the road and to bring you into the place that I have prepared.
Watch yourself because of him and obey his voice.
Do not behave rebelliously against him, for he will not pardon your transgression; because my name is within him."—Exodus 23:20, 21.

leastone

Reaction score
mee; said:
[T]hat this Son was actually a creature of God is evident from Jesus’ own statements.

He pointed to God as the Source of his life, saying, "I live because of the Father."

According to the context, this meant that his life resulted from or was caused by his Father—Joh 6:56, 57.

Dear Mee,

This is not a very compelling argument. I, too, can say, "I live because of the Father," since God is the source of all life. Nothing lives except from Life; no being is possible except from Being.

But when I say it, as a creature, it really has quite a different meaning as when the Lord God and Saviour has His Man (Son) Jesus Christ say it.

It is the same case with these words of Jesus, which I apply to my life as the reality concerning the people, events, and circumstances attending and unfolding my life:

"No man comes to me unless the Father enables (draws) him."

Now, when somebody appears on the horizon of my day, these words allow me to "deal with it" in an approximately appropriate manner.

When the LIGHT that (en)lightens every man says the same thing, it has reference to a totally different dimension of spiritual life, and the Divine providence for salvation attending it.

For there is but one God and Saviour, The LORD GOD (Father) and His (Hu)MAN (Son) Jesus Christ and they are ONE, like spirit and body are one.

Respectfully,

Learner

PS I admit that a statement like my last sentence is by faith, according to my present, still developing understanding of the truths of faith, as handed down by various traditions within the (Christian) Faith, and by those without. I do not dare speak as a well-informed authoritative apologist like Thomas, or present a particular (closed and shut) case like mee. But I am sure the careful reader would have noticed that already. :)