was Jesus born in December?

mee

Interfaith Forums
Reaction score
Was​
Jesus Born in December?

THE Bible does not tell us when Jesus was born. However, it does give us sound reason to conclude that his birth did not take place in December.

Consider the weather conditions at that time of the year in Bethlehem, where Jesus was born.

The Jewish month of Chislev (corresponding to November/December) was a month with cold and rainy weather.

The month after that was Tebeth (December/January). It saw the lowest temperatures of the year, with occasional snows in the highlands.
Let us see what the Bible tells us about the climate of that region.

The Bible writer Ezra shows that Chislev was indeed a month known for cold and rainy weather.

After stating that a crowd had gathered in Jerusalem "in the ninth month [Chislev] on the twentieth day of the month," Ezra reports that people were "shivering . . . on account of the showers of rain." Concerning weather conditions at that time of the year, the congregated people themselves said: "It is the season of showers of rain, and it is not possible to stand outside." (Ezra 10:9, 13; Jeremiah 36:22)
No wonder shepherds living in that part of the world made sure that they and their flocks were no longer out of doors at night when December came around!

The Bible reports, however, that shepherds were in the fields tending their flocks on the night of Jesus’ birth.

In fact, the Bible writer Luke shows that at that time, shepherds were "living out of doors and keeping watches in the night over their flocks" near Bethlehem. (Luke 2:8-12)

Notice that the shepherds were actually living out of doors, not just strolling outside during the day.

They had their flocks in the fields at night.
Does that description of outdoor living fit the chilly and rainy weather conditions of Bethlehem in December?

No, it does not.

So the circumstances surrounding Jesus’ birth indicate that he was not born in December.

God’s Word tells us precisely when Jesus died, but it gives little direct indication as to when he was born.

This brings to mind King Solomon’s words: "A name is better than good oil, and the day of death than the day of one’s being born." (Ecclesiastes 7:1)

It is not surprising, then, that the Bible provides many details about Jesus’ ministry and death but few details about the time of his birth.:)

The weather in itself is not a disproof - if you've ever seen shepherds at work, they do so in all seasons and all weathers. Flocks don't just look after themselves, you know, and require attention even when it's not warm and sunny. :)

Flocks don't just look after themselves, you know, and require attention even when it's not warm and sunny. :)
VERY TRUE, thats why they are taken indoors :)

Most likely born in March.

Jesus evidently was born in the month of Ethanim (September-October) of the year 2 B.C.E.
Jesus was born approximately six months after the birth of his relative
John (the Baptizer),

Jesus evidently was born in the month of Ethanim (September-October) of the year 2 B.C.E.
Jesus was born approximately six months after the birth of his relative
John (the Baptizer),
Which is it? September or October?

Surely it would impossible for anybody, to say one or the other? Did they have "months" in Jesus' time?
Astrologically it has been worked out that it definately wasn't December though.

The months came with teh romans ;) Yet another thing we owe to Paganism... But, don't tell mee.... Cause they will then stop having days and months too! (or will they.... ;))

His birth date was recorder in the Hebrew way... In Nissan....

Maybe today, but 2000 years ago, a thousand sheep were not herded indoors...not even by the richest of owners.

The book Daily Life in the Time of Jesus states: "The flocks . . . passed the winter under cover; and from this alone it may be seen that the traditional date for Christmas, in the winter, is unlikely to be right, since the Gospel says that the shepherds were in the fields."—(New York, 1962), Henri Daniel-Rops, p. 228.

the bible does not give the date :)
Actually it does. One simply has to know how to tell time as it was noted back then.

It is most likely 29 September 6 BC, during the Festival of the Tabernacles, six months after the birth of John the Baptist, who was born during Passover (coming in the Spirit and power of Elijah, meaning Elijah came at Passover to herald the coming Mesahiah).

This would coincide with shepards tending their flocks at night in the fields, since September and October weren't too cold, and the Roman census taking. December, January and February would have been wet, snowy and cold (not popular for traveling on impassable roads). There is also the part about John's father serving his turn as a priest at the temple, finding out his wife was going to have a son, and two weeks later when he got home, she conceived.

Herod died in 4 BC, and Jesus was one to two years old (depending on whether he was considered one years old at birth).

The Magi (whether Jewish or Gentile), were most likely from Babylon (where a large portion of Jews lived), and probably used Daniel's "seventy weeks", to determine the birth of Jesus (Daniel was also written in Aramaic, so gentiles could read it). I would only have taken them about four months to get to Jeursalem, from Babylon.

Put it all together and it looks like 29 September 6 BC.

edit: the thread piqued my curiosity, so I went and looked it up.

Actually it does. One simply has to know how to tell time as it was noted back then.

It is most likely 29 September 6 BC, during the Festival of the Tabernacles, six months after the birth of John the Baptist, who was born during Passover (coming in the Spirit and power of Elijah, meaning Elijah came at Passover to herald the coming Mesahiah).

This would coincide with shepards tending their flocks at night in the fields, since September and October weren't too cold, and the Roman census taking. December, January and February would have been wet, snowy and cold (not popular for traveling on impassable roads). There is also the part about John's father serving his turn as a priest at the temple, finding out his wife was going to have a son, and two weeks later when he got home, she conceived.

Herod died in 4 BC, and Jesus was one to two years old (depending on whether he was considered one years old at birth).

The Magi (whether Jewish or Gentile), were most likely from Babylon (where a large portion of Jews lived), and probably used Daniel's "seventy weeks", to determine the birth of Jesus (Daniel was also written in Aramaic, so gentiles could read it). I would only have taken them about four months to get to Jeursalem, from Babylon.

yes round about that time sept-oct but the bible gives no date :)

Was​
Jesus Born in December?
THE Bible does not tell us when Jesus was born. However, it does give us sound reason to conclude that his birth did not take place in December.

Yeah, so what?

So what?

What's the big deal.

The Feast of the Celebration of the Nativity is not "Jesus's birthday"--it's the day we celebrate his Incarnation, whenever that happened to have happened on the calendar.

So what's the big deal?

yes round about that time sept-oct but the bible gives no date :)
Yes it does mee. And it is specific to those who truly read and get into the Bible. That means research on one's own. That means going beyond the fiction of the ages and reading from the perspective of the readers at the time the books were written, not 150 years ago...don't be a card. Take some serious time and Read The Book (I did). Otherwise, don't waste our time.

Yes it does mee. And it is specific to those who truly read and get into the Bible. That means research on one's own. That means going beyond the fiction of the ages and reading from the perspective of the readers at the time the books were written, not 150 years ago...don't be a card. Take some serious time and Read The Book (I did). Otherwise, don't waste our time.

ok enlighten us ,give me the date of the month i am really into bible revealing . :)

ok enlighten us ,give me the date of the month i am really into bible revealing . :)
I did several posts ago, and explained how I came to that conclusion as well. It helps to read what others post, from time to time.

When Was Jesus Born?

The Bible does not reveal the exact date of Jesus’ birth.

It does say, however, that he was born "in the days of Herod the king." (Matthew 2:1)

Many Bible scholars believe that Herod died in the year 4 B.C.E. and that Jesus was born before then—perhaps as early as 5 or 6 B.C.E.

They base their conclusions about Herod’s death on statements by the first-century Jewish historian Flavius Josephus.

According to Josephus, shortly before King Herod died, there was an eclipse of the moon.

Bible scholars point to a partial lunar eclipse on March 11, 4 B.C.E., as proof that Herod must have died in that year.

However, in the year 1 B.C.E., there was a total lunar eclipse on January 8 and a partial eclipse on December 27.

No one can say whether Josephus was referring to one of the eclipses in 1 B.C.E. or to the one in 4 B.C.E.

Consequently, we cannot use Josephus’ words to pinpoint the precise year of Herod’s death.

Even if we could, without more information we still could not determine when Jesus was born.

The strongest evidence we have of the date of Jesus’ birth comes from the Bible.

The inspired record states that Jesus’ cousin John the Baptizer began his career as a prophet in the 15th year of Roman Emperor Tiberius Caesar. (Luke 3:1, 2)

Secular history confirms that Tiberius was named emperor on September 15, 14 C.E., so his 15th year would run from the latter part of 28 C.E. to the latter part of 29 C.E.

John began his ministry during that time, and Jesus evidently started his ministry six months later. (Luke 1:24-31)

This, combined with other evidence, would place the beginning of Jesus’ ministry in the fall of 29 C.E.

The Bible states that Jesus was "about thirty years old" when he began his ministry. (Luke 3:23)

If he was 30 years old in the fall of 29 C.E., he must have been born in the fall of 2 B.C.E

Back