How can I do damage to the Mormon Church?

You are.

Not right now, but I'll get to it. Most prominent cases are two emperors, Hadrian under the pagan regime, and a Byzantine emperor married by the Orthodox church.

yes and the boy was what 13 or 14 when they met.. and I cant find anywhere that they were married? All I can find is their special relationship and that Antinous was considered a favorite and the emporers beloved.. Although, I did find mention of his wife Vibia Sabina...

After reading more.. I hope that there is a better example than this guy for advocating homosexual marriage. He doesnt seem to be the most stand up of people. Sorry,

I am also curious who this byzantine emporer is..

I am also curious who this byzantine emporer is..
Basil the Macedonian, a popular commander under Michael the Drunkard. Basil did have a female wife Maria at one time, but divorced her for adultery after she bore a son Constantine: in view of his subsequent conduct, it is probable that the reason he was so sure Constantine wasn't his is because he never slept with Maria at all.

Emperor Michael was so mentally unstable he was forced to take his uncle Bardas as co-Emperor. Then he decided he couldn't live with that and murdered Bardas. It was impressed upon him that he absolutely must have a co-ruler, and he picked Basil. Then, of course, he started plotting to murder Basil, so friends of Basil pre-emptively murdered Michael: whether Basil himself explicitly or tacitly encouraged this is not known (naturally, Basil had to shed crocodile tears about it in public).

It turned out that Michael's mistress Eudocia was pregnant, and in fear for her life and unborn child, so Basil married her. He put out a story that he had secretly married her a year earlier at Michael's orders, so as to maintain the fiction that her son (became his successor Leo the Wise), born a month or two after their public wedding, was his, but nobody actually believed that. When Eudocia died he married his longtime lover John. Nobody criticized that: of course they might not have even if (or especially if) he was a terrible Emperor; but in fact Basil is remembered as one of the absolute best of the medieval Emperors. He established long-term friendship with Lithuania and with the Varangians (eastern Vikings operating in Russia, formerly on bad terms with Byzantium) which were important for the shaping of medieval Russia.

Just a quick pointer - I don't take this thread to be a direct attack on the LDS Chruch, as much as a personal rant against the political involvement of the LDS Church in a particular social issue.

In that regard, I can only say that any faith that directly involves itself in politics is always going to be open to criticisms, and as in this thread, where people are directly affected by such actions, it's only fair to give that a voice.

With regards to my earlier comment on gambling - that's possibly quite off-topic - but on a personal level I think the history of Las Vegas very much stains the LDS church's claims to morality. You don't denounce the devil and then give him a posh home on the grounds that the devil is a good paying tenant. But perhaps that's for another thread. :)

Also just to ensure full disclosure, over the past couple of years my dad become a priest in the LDS, and I believe he's quite involved in the higher levels of the organisation in the UK.

My personal opinion is ambivalent - the Mormons I've met have usually been lovely people (though calling teenagers on door to door sales "Elders" just invites laughter), but as with any organised body, they will do some things right and some things wrong - such calls may boil down to personal opinion and world view - but whichever way the view falls, allowance needs to be made for such views. Where a group involves itself directly in politics, it will necessarily invite more views, and probably not so many complementary ones, for that is the nature of politics.

2c.

Oh, regarding Basil the Macedon - for all his brilliance with the empire, the fundamental issue of an heir always escaped him. For his failure to address that, alas, his achievements died with him.

Oh, regarding Basil the Macedon - for all his brilliance with the empire, the fundamental issue of an heir always escaped him. For his failure to address that, alas, his achievements died with him.
???? Didn't you read a single thing I wrote? He made sure to get a son, of actual imperial parentage, recognized as "his". This heir, Leo the Wise, was also very accomplished. Basil was the beginning of a long period of stability, even renewed expansion, in Byzantium.

???? Didn't you read a single thing I wrote? He made sure to get a son, of actual imperial parentage, recognized as "his". This heir, Leo the Wise, was also very accomplished. Basil was the beginning of a long period of stability, even renewed expansion, in Byzantium.

Hang on, sounds like I may have the wrong Basil - yup, sorry about that - I was thinking of Basil II!

Hang on, sounds like I may have the wrong Basil - yup, sorry about that - I was thinking of Basil II!
Ah, there's the confusion. Note: Basil II was a flagrant heterosexual, loved keeping lots of mistresses on the string, no wonder he never got around to securing the succession.

My personal opinion is ambivalent - the Mormons I've met have usually been lovely people (though calling teenagers on door to door sales "Elders" just invites laughter)

I totally agree. Young men/boys in their early 20's are perhaps the last people who should go around teaching spirituality. All they have going for them is naive zealotry and the energy to pedal a bike all day. That's not the qualities that I look for in a spiritual advisor.

BTW, my sister, her husband and their 4 children are Mormon. Lovely people, all.

Buy or make a "No Soliciting" sign for your door. If the Mormon missionaries still insist on knocking, politely tell them to go away and put your street address on their "Do Not Call" list.

Buy or make a "No Soliciting" sign for your door. If the Mormon missionaries still insist on knocking, politely tell them to go away and put your street address on their "Do Not Call" list.
Them knocking on my door is NOT my problem with them. They intrude on my private life much more severely than that.

Back