Hi, are there still temples devoted to appollo, dionysius and hercules in greece ?

siddhartha

Reaction score
Hi, are there still temples devoted to Appollo, Hercules and Dionysius and other Greek gods in Greece ? :)

Same with the Roman gods in Italy like Jupiter, Minerva and others ? :)

Are they still worshipped, and is there any sacred texts related to their religion's wisdom and teachings ?

Would be deeply grateful for any links.

Thanx in advance.:)

Re: Hi, are there still temples devoted to appollo, dionysius and hercules in greece

Hi, are there still temples devoted to Appollo, Hercules and Dionysius and other Greek gods in Greece ? :)

Same with the Roman gods in Italy like Jupiter, Minerva and others ? :)

Are they still worshipped, and is there any sacred texts related to their religion's wisdom and teachings ?

Would be deeply grateful for any links.

Thanx in advance.:)

I haven't looked specifically, but I know I have seen many in passing. Most are in a state of ruin, and some have been converted into churches and the like, but the short answer is yes they still exist.

As for worship...you may have better luck asking on the Pagan boards. I am not aware of any specifically, but in passing I have heard of one or two groups attempting some form of revival.

Wiki should have several write-ups, particularly if you have specific temples in mind by name.

The Pantheon (Latin Pantheon,[1] from Greek Πάνθειον Pantheon, meaning "Temple of all the gods") is a building in Rome which was originally built as a temple to all the gods of Ancient Rome, and rebuilt circa 125 AD during Hadrian's reign. The intended degree of inclusiveness of this dedication is debated. The generic term pantheon is now applied to a monument in which illustrious dead are buried. It is the best preserved of all Roman buildings, and perhaps the best preserved building of its age in the world. It has been in continuous use throughout its history. The design of the extant building is sometimes credited to the Trajan's architect Apollodorus of Damascus, but it is equally likely that the building and the design should be credited to emperor Hadrian's architects, but not Hadrian himself as many art scholars once thought.[2] Since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a Catholic church. The Pantheon is the oldest standing domed structure in Rome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 43.3 metres (142 ft).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon,_Rome

Greek temples (Ancient Greek: ὁ ναός, ho naós "dwelling", semantically distinct from Latin templum "temple") were structures built to house deity statues within Greek sanctuaries in Greek paganism. The temples themselves did usually not directly serve a cult purpose, since the sacrifices and rituals dedicated to the respective deity took place outside them. Temples were frequently used to store votive offerings. They are the most important and most widespread building type in Greek architecture. In the Hellenistic kingdoms of Southwest Asia and of North Africa, buildings erected to fulfil the functions of a temple often continued to follow local traditions. Even where a Greek influence is visible, such structures are not normally considered as Greek temples. This applies, for example, to the Graeco-Parthian and Bactrian temples, or to the Ptolemaic examples, which follow Egyptian tradition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_temple

Very extensive wiki on Greek Temples.

A temple (from the Latin word templum) is a structure reserved for religious or spiritual activities, such as prayer and sacrifice, or analogous rites. A ‘’templum’’ constituted a sacred precinct as defined by a priest, or augur. It has the same root as the word “ template,’’ a plan in preparation of the building that was marked out on the ground by the augur. Though a templum[citation needed], technically speaking, is not a “house of the gods” but a diagram that for the Romans linked the geometries of heaven and earth, it was also indicative of a dwelling place of a god or gods. This tradition dates back to prehistoric times.[citation needed] For the ancient Egyptians, the word pr could refer not only to a house, but also to a sacred structure since it was believed that the gods resided in houses.[1] The word ‘temple’ (which dates to about the 6th century BCE[citation needed]), despite the specific set of meanings associated with the religion of the ancient Rome, has now become quite widely used to describe a house of worship for any number of religions and is even used for time periods prior to the Romans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple

A more generic wiki regarding temples, but it does reference a few Greek and Roman temples.

The Temple of Hephaestus and Athena Ergane (Greek: Ναός του Ηφαίστου και της Αθηνάς Εργάνης), also known as the Hephaisteion (Ηφαιστείον) or Theseion (Θησείον), is the best preserved ancient Greek temple. It is a Doric order peripteral temple, located at the north-west side of the Agora of Athens, on top of the Agoraios Kolonos (Αγοραιος) hill. From the 7th century until 1834, it served as the Greek Orthodox church of St. George Akamates (Ἀγιος Γεώργιος Ακαμάτης).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Hephaestus

A Greek Temple.

The Temple of Apollo Palatinus (Palatine Apollo) on the Palatine Hill was first dedicated by Augustus to his patron god Apollo. It was only the second temple in Rome dedicated to the god, after the Temple of Apollo Sosianus. It was sited next to the main temple in Rome dedicated to Cybele.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Apollo_Palatinus

A Roman Temple to Apollo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Temple

Extensive list of Roman Temples

Last edited:
Re: Hi, are there still temples devoted to appollo, dionysius and hercules in greece

I haven't looked specifically, but I know I have seen many in passing. Most are in a state of ruin, and some have been converted into churches and the like, but the short answer is yes they still exist.

Hi juantoo3. :)

And yes, I do hope that the remnants are being preserved and taken care of , for future generations.

As for worship...you may have better luck asking on the Pagan boards. I am not aware of any specifically, but in passing I have heard of one or two groups attempting some form of revival.

Wiki should have several write-ups, particularly if you have specific temples in mind by name.

Pantheon, Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greek temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A more generic wiki regarding temples, but it does reference a few Greek and Roman temples.

Temple of Hephaestus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Greek Temple.

Temple of Apollo Palatinus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Roman Temple to Apollo

Roman temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you very much for this information and I am sure this will benefit other enquirers as well. However my interest was mainly in the wisdom and sacred scriptures and teachings of these ancient religions which can be benefecial to everyone.

If I get across them, I will put it over here.:)

Hi , juantoo3. :)

Thanks for the reply. And I do hope that most of these temples are being preserved for the sake of future generations.

Pantheon, Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greek temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temple of Hephaestus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Greek Temple.

Temple of Apollo Palatinus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Roman Temple to Apollo

Roman temple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the information, Juantoo3 , and I am sure this will be useful for other enquirers too.

However, I am more interested in the sacred scriptures or wisdom and insights of these religions, and I believe it would be beneficial to others as well.

I will put them over here if I come across it . :)

Again I would suggest wiki, at least for a generic start in the direction you wish to pursue. It would probably help if you narrowed your search to say, Apollo or Aphrodite. I have referenced Roman superstitions in another thread, so I know a wiki exists covering that aspect.

Good luck in your search. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Oops, I've created a zombie, so I'll delete it: I can't find the removal option.

Back