My view, take it as you will

proudcelticdude

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was just wondering about something. I haven't studied many religions intently, I know the basic underlying foundations that make up each of the major ones, and it's led me to one belief. Why worry about what lies beyond as of right now? I believe the best that we can do is to live a good life and help others, and we'll see what comes in the end. There's no empirical method of learning what truly lies beyond, because everyone who's truly gone there has never returned to tell us about it. It's my belief that many of these "visions from beyond" are all created within the human mind, which many have seemed to forget is a deep and complex organ. Pure blind faith just doesn't make much sense to me. Why is there a need to believe in what is not tangible? I believe in myself, to an extent. Why don't we all just try to live within our own set of morals, and those who can't will be weeded out by society. Let's worry about the beyond when we get there, and try to be good here while we still can. Pure luck drives "acts of god".

*Please note that the above is only m own personal belief which I am entitled to. It is no meant to insult or degrade the religions of others.

Let me hear what you have to say and thanks,
MK

Hi proudcelticdude, and welcome to CR. :)

As for your sentiments, I do quite agree - I much rather worry about achieving a respectable obituary first. :)

my view too

proudcelticdude said:
Hi everybody,

I was just wondering about something. I haven't studied many religions intently, I know the basic underlying foundations that make up each of the major ones, and it's led me to one belief. Why worry about what lies beyond as of right now? I believe the best that we can do is to live a good life and help others, and we'll see what comes in the end. There's no empirical method of learning what truly lies beyond, because everyone who's truly gone there has never returned to tell us about it. It's my belief that many of these "visions from beyond" are all created within the human mind, which many have seemed to forget is a deep and complex organ. Pure blind faith just doesn't make much sense to me. Why is there a need to believe in what is not tangible? I believe in myself, to an extent. Why don't we all just try to live within our own set of morals, and those who can't will be weeded out by society. Let's worry about the beyond when we get there, and try to be good here while we still can. Pure luck drives "acts of god".

*Please note that the above is only m own personal belief which I am entitled to. It is no meant to insult or degrade the religions of others.

Let me hear what you have to say and thanks,
MK[/QUOTE

From Louis, the impartial observer....
Nice to hear I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

Believe in what?

proudcelticdude said:
Why worry about what lies beyond as of right now? I believe the best that we can do is to live a good life and help others, and we'll see what comes in the end.

Pure blind faith just doesn't make much sense to me. Why is there a need to believe in what is not tangible?

Why don't we all just try to live within our own set of morals, and those who can't will be weeded out by society.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are probably a pretty decent guy, who has always had a conscience and a set of morals, has helped people where possible, and has never done anything that is, according to your morals and conscience, extremely terrible.

Remember something: Not everybody is like that.

Take a good look around you: the people who are in charge of this world aren't exactly moral role-models. It seems to me that people who are lacking morals are just as often praised and admired as they are "weeded out" so to speak.

Why do I believe? Because I want to believe: plain and simple. My faith isn't blind; actually, I believe that blind faith is lazy faith, and in my experience it doesn't last very long. I have read the Bible, and it made sense to me. I applied its wisdom in my life, and my life got better. I prayed and asked God for things, and I received them. I looked to Jesus when I was at the lowest point in my life, and less than two years later I was restored to a point that exceeded my expectations. Essentially, I tried it and it works.

I don't need to believe, per se. And for five years of my life I didn't believe. But I compare my life then with my life now, and the truth is clear to me.

Please don't confuse me and others like me with the Bible-thumpers-- the people who profess a belief in something that they don't understand, and condemn everyone in the world who doesn't profess the same belief. We believe because, to us, it makes more sense to believe than not to believe.

Re: Believe in what?

Marsh said:
Please don't confuse me and others like me with the Bible-thumpers-- the people who profess a belief in something that they don't understand, and condemn everyone in the world who doesn't profess the same belief. We believe because, to us, it makes more sense to believe than not to believe.
Yes, I agree that we all should endeavor not to confuse others and strive to remove confusions of others, rather than creating or supporting a blind faith we should strengthen belief in realities, scientific or religious, created or revealed by God.
Thanks

Back