Try a new religion!

TealLeaf

Soul Adventurer
Reaction score
Perhaps it is a good idea to tryout a new religion. It might be the only real way to learn about other religions, other people and thus the world around us. It could also lead us to a deeper understanding of our current religion or the religion of our parents.

This is the year 2009 after all. In this age no one would suggest that you blindly follow in your parents footsteps by taking up their profession. Why should it be any different with religion?

Just as one might tryout or investigate different careers to see which one they liked most so might people investigate the spectrum of world religions.

This is the year 2009 after all. In this age no one would suggest that you blindly follow in your parents footsteps by taking up their profession. Why should it be any different with religion?

Just as one might tryout or investigate different careers to see which one they liked most so might people investigate the spectrum of world religions.
TealLeaf, may I say that you sir/madam have an excellent attutude. Bravo! Bravo! *bows*

Sincerely,
Sean

Perhaps it is a good idea to tryout a new religion. It might be the only real way to learn about other religions, other people and thus the world around us. It could also lead us to a deeper understanding of our current religion or the religion of our parents.

You can buy them in six packs at any branch of Hamleys.

seek Jehovah, all YOU meek ones of the earth, who have practiced His own judicial decision. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably YOU may be concealed in the day of Jehovah’s anger ZEPHENIAH 2;3:)

Good and upright is Jehovah.
That is why he instructs sinners in the way.PSALM 25;8​

As the Dalai Lama said, if you can't find it in your own religion, it's unlikely you'll find it in another.

In my view, if you want to understand things deeply, go deep; going broad gives you a 'toe in the water' in a lot of things, but no real depth in anything.

Thomas

As the Dalai Lama said, if you can't find it in your own religion, it's unlikely you'll find it in another.

In my view, if you want to understand things deeply, go deep; going broad gives you a 'toe in the water' in a lot of things, but no real depth in anything.

Thomas
Washing your feet? :D
Would the Dalai Lama's saying also be true in the converse: if you find it in your religion, will you also be able to see it in other religions?

I'm not saying put a toe into a new religion I am saying explore a new one deeply. To have no breadth and to just delve ever more deeply into one's own could very well lead to the entrenchments that divide us as human beings and lead us into unnecessary conflict.

I'm not saying put a toe into a new religion I am saying explore a new one deeply. To have no breadth and to just delve ever more deeply into one's own could very well lead to the entrenchments that divide us as human beings and lead us into unnecessary conflict.
You know, I enjoy studying, reading about, attempting to understand other religions. I strive to respect those that follow other traditions, and provide a space for them in my belief to honor their beliefs.

But I currently enjoy my relationship with Christ way to much to stray to far. The exploration of my own religion, working with children, the camaraderie at my church, exploring other churches of my denomination in my travels...all this precludes me trying another religion.

I just can't see putting Christ down (figuritively not verbally) to pick up something else.

You know, I enjoy studying, reading about, attempting to understand other religions. I strive to respect those that follow other traditions, and provide a space for them in my belief to honor their beliefs.

But I currently enjoy my relationship with Christ way to much to stray to far. The exploration of my own religion, working with children, the camaraderie at my church, exploring other churches of my denomination in my travels...all this precludes me trying another religion.

I just can't see putting Christ down (figuritively not verbally) to pick up something else.

Well then perhaps you shouldn't.

However others in this forum have expressed the opinion that people should stick with "their" religion or they should necessarily follow the religion of their parents. They offer no rationale for this and seem merely motivated to capitalize more effectively from their particular religion's high birth rate. I'm afraid the eventual outcome of such a strategy will be a lower standard of living, environmental degradation and/or large scale warfare. But hey maybe that's all just inevitable.

Getting back to the idea of trying a new religion it seems like a relatively reasonable thing for person to do while they are young. Young people often have an instinct to try out new things such as careers, hobbies, dating, etc. It seems only natural that religion would be one of these areas of exploration also. And again why not? It is not as though we are talking about experimenting with something less than wholesome like alcohol, crime, drugs, gangs or promiscuous sex. Perhaps exploring a new religion might satisfy the need for experimentation such that a child doesn't feel the need to explore something less savory and more harmful to him/her.

In my previous post I neglected to consider all the non-benign religions and/or religions with unscrupulous people at their helm that are out there. With this in mind my previous comments regarding free experimentation with new religions appear to be rash.

While I still believe that it is healthy both for the individual and for humanity to explore other religions this should probably be done with an amount of caution and reserve.

As a person who has studied many religions over a lifetime I can say that trying another religion is just as helpful as traveling to another part of flatland:Just more of the same.
To those with a curious and outgoing nature who wish to explore further, sure go ahead.

But know this: exchanging one model for another is just something to do while on the planet. Someday, with a little luck there will be awakening and the nature of what is will be clear.

This is why a married man takes on a mistress. It gives us a learning experience and we come to appreciate our wives more as the novelty wears off.

Back