Collapse of the Crystal Cathedral?

Still thinking

Reaction score
Family spat divides televangelism empire - Faith- msnbc.com

I've always thought it was more than sick that there are such things as "megachurches", televangelism, and millionaire preachers, but actually naming your church the Crystal Cathedral is just too much. Nothing like caring for those widows and orphans in luxury, eh? :rolleyes:

What i find especially sad is not the greed and hypocrisy of these so-called men of God, but the anger and disappointment of their followers when karma finally bites them in the ass. Honestly, what did they expect?

I realize there are people belonging to these churches who are good and sincere, and have truly benefitted from their experiences, but don't you think it would occur to them that building a shrine is not what God had in mind? As a more liberal Christian, these people anger me far more than any atheist or non-believer ever could.

So I'm asking anyone belonging to a megachurch to give some feedback, anything that would justify the existence of a megachurch. Or anyone that has an opinion on this, really. I've been on both sides, literally, of this idea, so I'm just throwing a current event out there. What do you think, CR?

I hated all my toil in which I had toiled under the sun, seeing that I must leave it to the man who will come after me;

and who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will be master of all for which I toiled and used my wisdom under the sun. This also is vanity.

Ecclesiastes 2:18-19

I think this sort of move is blatantly hypocritical, especially when it is touted as God's will. It is sad how often ministries are handed off to a son or daughter, and it makes no sense! A church is not just a family business but a community! This hand-me-down leadership is proof of the 'buying and selling of souls' in large churches.

3 The songs of the temple shall become wailings in that day," says the Lord GOD; "the dead bodies shall be many; in every place they shall be cast out in silence."
6 that we may buy the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals, and sell the refuse of the wheat?"
Amos 8

I belong to a megachurch.

I call it Earth.

Like the cathedral?

citizenzen said:
I belong to a megachurch.

I call it Earth.

Like the cathedral?
It is beautiful, and it has such an interesting combination of different styles!

Back