The immortal soul

winner08

Reaction score
lGreetings everyone.
I have been thinking about the soul and if it is immortal as some believe. I personally do not believe that we have an immortal soul. I believe we are a soul. I believe God created man (soul) and breath into that soul and we became a living soul. To the people who believe in a immortal soul I state this. Some believe when we die our soul goes straight to heaven or hell. Our bodies are in the grave. So what is the reason for a resurrection? Here we have a soul (lets say in hell) where it is to be for eternity. However God now takes the soul from where it was for however long it was there for being torture in fire and brimstone, and put the soul back into the body and resurrectes it. Then condemn the body and soul back to hell from where it came from it the first place, where it will spend eternity again. I must be missing something here, can anyone enlighten me on this?

..I must be missing something here, can anyone enlighten me on this?..

There are clearly different takes on this issue, but can be categorized into roughly several groups (3-4). I don`t know if I can identify all of them but I`ll try.

Those that believe:
Type1. soul is eternal (Vedic religion, Buddhism).
Type2. eternal soul is non-existent and the soul is gone after biological death (Atheists? Spiritualists?).
Type3. soul is eternal but can only be on earth once (Christian).

IMO,
Type1 is those that believe that life is a long struggle that almost seems eternal until enlightenment is reached, and depending on how it is people enter hell or are reborn onto earth usually as humans again until they reach heaven. The goal being to eventually get to heaven.

Type2 is those that believe that life is like a dream like balloons just floating in the air, and that life ends with the end of biological life. I think these people are generally like those who think "life is too short to waste time".

Type3. is hellfire from Christian traditions, that only one chance is given and eternal hell or heaven is waiting.

Obviously Type1 is the most forgiving.

About the only thing that is clear is that there are people who believe in the afterlife and those that don`t.

I think the way to view this is that there are people who some have really thought about this, and have come to a conclusion on how they feel, and to understand that they are those that just think differently from one`s religious institution or personal take on these issues for whatever reason.

Again even just leaving the religious institutions out of this, and having discussions on how one feels, opinions may differ greatly (afterlife? or no afterlife?).

TK

What are your references(share with the rest of the class....) that bring you to this deduction?... Or is it all based on assumption?

assupmtion. But doesn't some religions teach of an immortal soul? and after death the soul goes to heaven or hell. Yes i believe I learn something of this in my catholic up bringing. I also remember the priest telling us if we were bad our soul would burn in hell. If we were good our soul would be in paradise with God. Yes I remember something of the sort. Being I was around 10 or so. I also remember the priest telling about a resurrection. Yes I remember something about when we die our soul goes to heaven or hell and our body was in the grave untill we were resurrected. Then God would send us to heaven or hell depending on if we were good or bad. In lies my question. If our soul goes to one place or the other and is already where God wants it. Then what's the purpose of putting our soul back into our body and being resurrected then sent back to the place from where we just came from?(ie)heaven or hell.

lGreetings everyone.
I have been thinking about the soul and if it is immortal as some believe. I personally do not believe that we have an immortal soul. I believe we are a soul. I believe God created man (soul) and breath into that soul and we became a living soul. To the people who believe in a immortal soul I state this. Some believe when we die our soul goes straight to heaven or hell. Our bodies are in the grave. So what is the reason for a resurrection? Here we have a soul (lets say in hell) where it is to be for eternity. However God now takes the soul from where it was for however long it was there for being torture in fire and brimstone, and put the soul back into the body and resurrectes it. Then condemn the body and soul back to hell from where it came from it the first place, where it will spend eternity again. I must be missing something here, can anyone enlighten me on this?

"Pear seeds grow into pear trees, nut seeds into nut trees, and God seed into God." --Meister Eckhart
I believe that man contains the seed of a soul that can become the soul. This is what is called in Christianity: re-birth. Christendom gradually began to assume that we have this completed soul which became egotistically satsifying to believe at the expense of the essential Christian teaching of re-birth

Soul​
Definition:​
In the Bible, "soul" is translated from the Hebrew ne´phesh and the Greek psy·khe´. Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys.

To many persons, however, "soul" means the immaterial or spirit part of a human being that survives the death of the physical body.
Others understand it to be the principle of life. But these latter views are not Bible teachings.​

Jesus and his apostles accepted, believed, and frequently quoted from the earlier books of the Bible.
In those inspired books you can read: "The soul that is sinning—it itself will die." (Ezek. 18:4)

Indeed, that differs from the ideas of the ancient Greeks—and from the ideas that modern Christendom inherited from them and now teaches in her churches.

...To the people who believe in a immortal soul I state this. Some believe when we die our soul goes straight to heaven or hell. Our bodies are in the grave. So what is the reason for a resurrection?

I believe that I have a soul. I believe that, when I die, Jesus will gather my soul into his flock of faithful souls, in Heaven. I don't believe that people who are nasty in their lives have their souls thrown into Hell, because I don't think Hell, the Lake of Fire, exists now; prepared, but not in service. Instead, the souls of people who did not know Jesus or who did not care to know him will go to sleep, just as things were in the Old Testament. At the end of the age, those who are asleep and those who are in Heaven will all be gathered together for the last judgement. At that time, anyone who has seen God and who rejects his goodness will be "thrown into the Lake of Fire," which is the second death-- the death of the soul. IMO, God is not nasty and vindictive, and will give these souls the choice to either face their punishment, or to cease to exist. Thus, when souls are described as suffering forever, they don't necessarily need to be suffering for thousands and millions of years, because forever to them is right up to the point they choose not to exist.

What's left is the family of God: people who have been made clean-- and who choose to be clean even though they don't have to be (unlike Adam and Eve who were originally clean because they didn't know any better), and a world that has been ridded of sin.

References available upon request ;)

Back