Perennialism

Out of the Box

High-priest
Reaction score
Is anyone else here influenced by Perennialism? If so, which thinkers are your main influences?

For those who don't know Perennialism, here's an extract from Wikipedia :

The Traditionalist School of thought, also known as Integral Traditionalism (in the sense of Integralism) or Perennialism (in the sense of perennial philosophy, or Sophia Perennis) is an esoteric movement inspired by the interwar period writings of French metaphysician René Guénon and developed by authors such as German-Swiss philosopher Frithjof Schuon, the Ceylonese-British scholar Ananda Coomaraswamy, Italian occultist Julius Evola,[1] Titus Burckhardt, Martin Lings, Huston Smith, and Seyyed Hossein Nasr. The movement divided in 1948-50 after a split between Guénon and Schuon.

Popular among the European Nouvelle Droite,[2] Traditionalism is a fundamentally anti-democratic, anti-modern, anti-liberal ideology critical of modernity and the bourgeois constitutional state. To the "modern error," the Perennialists propose an everlasting wisdom of divine origin, "a Primordial Tradition", transmitted from the very origin of humanity and partially restored by each genuine founder of a new religion.

"Tradition" in Perennialism has a special meaning far removed from the generic meaning of folklore. "Integral Tradition" does not have a human origin and may be considered as principles revealed from Heaven and binding man to his divine origin, or to what Schuon called a "transcendent unity". Perennialists claim that the historically separated traditions share not only the same divine origin but are based on the same metaphysical principles, sometimes called philosophia perennis.

Philosophia Perennis

The term philosophia perennis first appears in the Renaissance. It is widely associated with Leibniz who in turn owes it to the 16th century theologian Augustinus Steuchius.

The French author René Guénon (1886-1951) was in a certain sense a pioneer in the rediscovery of this Philosophia Perennis or Sophia Perennis in the 20th century. His view, largely shared with later Perennialist authorities, is that "Semitic religions" have an exoteric/esoteric structure. Exoterism, the outward dimension of religion, is constituted by religious rites and a moral but also a dogmatic theology. The exoteric point of view is characterized by its "sentimental", rather than purely intellectual, nature and remains fairly limited. Based on the doctrine of creation and the subsequent duality between God and creation, exoterism does not offer means to transcend the limitations of the human state. The goal is only religious salvation, which Guénon defines as a perpetual state of beatitude in a celestial paradise. In the Traditionalist view esoterism is more than the complement of exoterism, the spirit as opposed to the letter, the kernel with respect to the shell. Esoterism has, at least de jure, a total autonomy with respect to religion for its innermost substance is the Primordial Tradition itself. Based on pure metaphysics - by which Guénon means a supra-rational knowledge of the Divine, a gnosis, and not a rationalist system or theological dogma - its goal is the realization of the superior states of being and finally the union between the individual self and the Principle. Guénon calls this union “the Supreme Identity”.

By "Supreme Identity", Guénon and Schuon do not refer to the personal God of exoteric theology but to a suprapersonal Essence, the Beyond-Being, the Absolute both totally transcendent and immanent to the manifestation. In their view the innermost essence of the individual being is non-different from the Absolute itself. Guénon refers here to the Vedantic concepts of Brahman (Transcendence), Atman (Self) and Moksa (Deliverance). For Guénon the Hindu Sanatana Dharma represents "the more direct heritage of the Primordial Tradition". More generally the great traditions of Asia - (Advaita Vedanta, Taoism and Mahayana Buddhism) - play a paradigmatic function in his writings. He considers them as the more rigorous expression of pure metaphysics, this supra-formal and universal wisdom being, in itself, neither eastern nor western.

Traditionalism and religion

Although Guenon pleaded in his first books for a restoration of traditional “intellectualité” in the West on the basis of Roman Catholicism and Freemasonry, it is clear that, very early on, he gave up the idea of a spiritual resurrection of the West on a purely Christian basis. Having denounced the lure of Theosophy and neo-occultism, two influential movements that were flourishing in his lifetime, Guénon was initiated in 1912 in the Shadhili order and moved to Cairo in 1930 where he spent the rest of his life as a Sufi Muslim. To his many correspondents he clearly designated Sufism as a more accessible form of traditional initiation for Westerners eager to find what does not exist any more in the West: an initiatory path of knowledge (Jnana or Gnosis), comparable to Advaita.

Many followers of Guénon, such as Frithjof Schuon, Martin Lings and Titus Burckhardt, have been initiated into Sufism. Others remain Christians, such as the religious philosopher Jean Borella. Marco Pallis was a Buddhist and Ananda Coomaraswamy was a Hindu.

The most influential representatives of this school in Northern Europe are all Muslim converts: Kurt Almqvist, Tage Lindbom and Ashk Dahlén.

It could be argued that Traditionalism has a strong, although discreet, impact in the field of comparative religion and particularly on the young Mircea Eliade, although he was not himself a member of this school. Contemporary scholars such as Huston Smith, William Chittick, Harry Oldmeadow, James Cutsinger and Seyyed Hossein Nasr have advocated Perennialism as an alternative to secularist approach to religious phenomena.

Criticism of modernity

For Guénon, the author of the Crisis of the Modern World, the end of this descending process is modernity itself, which manifests the lowest possibilities of the Kali Yuga. Guénon also called our age the Reign of the Quantity, because man and the cosmos are more and more determined, ontologically speaking, by matter. The tragedy of the Western world since the Renaissance is, in his view, that it has lost almost any contact with the Sophia Perennis and the Sacred. Consequently, in the Western context, it is virtually impossible for a spiritual seeker to receive a valid initiation and to follow an esoteric path.

I do not know if I am a Perennialist, but I know the work of Ananda Coomaraswamy. I have been profoundly influenced by the Vedic Upanishads and the Srimad Bhagavad Gita, but I do not limit myself to Hinduism. I have for close to fifty years studied different religions of the world, and I have tried to find a universal message in all.

I would have to think that I would find myself at home with Perennialists in the same way that I find myself at home with persons of different religions. I consider religions to be simply instruments tha help me in my path to spiritual enlightenment.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

I do not know if I am a Perennialist, but I know the work of Ananda Coomaraswamy. I have been profoundly influenced by the Vedic Upanishads and the Srimad Bhagavad Gita, but I do not limit myself to Hinduism. I have for close to fifty years studied different religions of the world, and I have tried to find a universal message in all.

I would have to think that I would find myself at home with Perennialists in the same way that I find myself at home with persons of different religions. I consider religions to be simply instruments tha help me in my path to spiritual enlightenment.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

A most refreshing outlook! Perhaps you could share with us some of the things you have found?

First, it sounds as if someone threw-up their master's thesis in that opening post.

Here's a soapy towel to wipe that up.

Second, we should introduce Out_of_the_Box to Nick_A. I think those two just might hit it off.

Based on how you describe yourself, I think you might qualify as a Perennialist. It's hard to judge by a few paragraphs.

The most typical aspects of Perennialists are their applying logic and intuition rather than blind faith, their not limiting themselves to any specific religion for inspiration, their search for a universal truth and their solid anti-modernist perspective. Besides Asatru, Eastern philosophies are most commonly studied by Perennialists.

Elsewhere I read you qualify yourself as a Theosoph. Can you tell us why feel so drawn to them? Personally I own a copy of Blavatsky's two main works ("Isis Unveiled" and "The Secret Doctrine") as well as a minor work by Annie Besant, but I can't say I'm impressed by them.

Is anyone else here influenced by Perennialism?
Yep.

If so, which thinkers are your main influences?
René Guénon, Frithjof Schuon principally, Marco Pallis and Martin Lings — the former personally (I am Catholic) — and I was luck enough to catch two talks by Martin Lings at the Temenos Academy in London.

Jean Borella and Philip Sherrard.

"Integral Tradition" does not have a human origin and may be considered as principles revealed from Heaven and binding man to his divine origin, or to what Schuon called a "transcendent unity".
But we must acknowledge there is no 'revelation' outside of the great Religions ... so the Religio Perennis is not a religion in its own right, but a secondary and subsequent determination.

Perennialists claim that the historically separated traditions share not only the same divine origin but are based on the same metaphysical principles, sometimes called philosophia perennis.
But this cannot be proved. Guénon regarded Oriental Metaphysics as the only metaphysics ... again, this is a matter much contended.

The exoteric point of view is characterized by its "sentimental", rather than purely intellectual, nature and remains fairly limited.
We can see now, with the hindsight of time, that Guénon was rather in awe of the East, and assumed no sentimentalism in Asiatic Traditions (he never actually travelled to India), and an over-sentimentalism in the West, which I think had a distorting effect on certain aspects of the Western Traditions. Notably Christianity.

Based on the doctrine of creation and the subsequent duality between God and creation,
That is an error — there is no 'subsequent duality' between God and creation in the Abrahamic Traditions.

exoterism does not offer means to transcend the limitations of the human state.
Again an error. Exoterism offers an access, and indeed the only access, to its complementary and coupled esoterism. So whilst the statement is right on one level, the error of assuming one can access the esoteric without the exoteric is much greater.

Guénon, Schuon and all the Perennialists insist that adherence to a Tradition, on both its esoteric and exoteric forms, are prerequisite of any kind of advancement.

Esoterism has, at least de jure, a total autonomy with respect to religion for its innermost substance is the Primordial Tradition itself.
Here is the error: There is no scripture of the Primordial Tradition, there is no Tradition that calls itself the Primordial Tradition — there are no rites, no rituals ... the Primordial Tradition can only be arrived at if one accepts two or more Traditions as authentic Revelations ... therefore the Primordial Tradition is a synthesis and an abstract construct ... the best, in my book, by far, but still not at the level of religion itself.

Take away all the data affirmed in the Primordial Tradition that comes from Religious Tradition ... and you're left with nothing.

Based on pure metaphysics - by which Guénon means a supra-rational knowledge of the Divine, a gnosis, and not a rationalist system or theological dogma - its goal is the realization of the superior states of being and finally the union between the individual self and the Principle. Guénon calls this union “the Supreme Identity”.
Two points:
There is no such thing as 'pure metaphysics' because any metaphysic is the product of its time and place. There might be better or lesser ... but all is a matter of degree.

To suppose that Guénon did not affirm a morality or the rationality of religion is a nonsense. There is no religion without morality, there is just self-deception.

The Union between man and the "Supreme Identity" is the stated goal of Christianity, its even stated in Christian exoteric texts ... Guénon's failure to see this is part due to his poor education at the hands of Christians, and part due to the influence of his Hindu instructors and his acceptance of their metaphysics as being 'universal'. Guénon believed, for example, that Buddhism was a 'hindu heresy' until Marco Pallis and Martin Lings went to visit him in Cairo to discuss this very point.

it is clear that, very early on, he gave up the idea of a spiritual resurrection of the West on a purely Christian basis.
This is tragically true ... and continues today. The general acceptance by the media that science is 'right' and religion is 'wrong' makes any chance for the Western even harder than for Guénon ... but then he saw 'the signs of the times' and knew what was in store.

To his many correspondents he clearly designated Sufism as a more accessible form of traditional initiation for Westerners eager to find what does not exist any more in the West: an initiatory path of knowledge (Jnana or Gnosis), comparable to Advaita.
It is one blessing at least, that he did not see just how much Western materialism and consumerism would infect and destabilise the Orient, leading to the emergence of a Moslem fundamentalism that has all but stamped out any Moslem intellectualism, or at least driven it underground. The situation is now worse there than it is here.

Conversely, writers such as Borella and Sherrard have investigated Guénon's corpus and brought to light some 'errors' of his and Schuon's perspective.

Of course, in the modern world, founded on post-Enlightenment relativism, the Perennial Tradition is a non-starter ... the only voice in the West that insists on the possibility of Absolute Truth, and the authenticity of metaphysics as a science, is ... the Roman Catholic Church.

Thomas

Here is a good intro to the Perennial tradition.

The Perennial Tradition--Introduction

The Perennial tradition doesn't teach us anything new but rather allows us to remember what has been forgotten

Esoteric Christianity is a perennial tradition while exoteric Christianity consists of a many man made interpretations.

I know of a man who I believe was a satguru and lived esoteric Christianity in its essence. Such people do not seek slaves but rather serve to help one "To Be' which is the goal of Christianity.

It is not good to speak of such people because a person has to become capable of getting beyond insult in order to profit from a perennial tradition since insult is an expression self justification that has to be abandoned. Consequently they can make one angry or be insulting. It is necessary in order to see if a person feels the truth of the tradition enough to seek to get beyond this contradiction that inspires insult.

If insult dominates, a perennial tradition is of no use and they are better off with a new age tradition that furthers self justification and pleasant thoughts.

Naturally then, such people get a mixed reputation from a societal perspective and referring to them can cause negative associations that may be harmful later on. That is why it is better to speak of ideas directly rather than names.

Back