Why Does God prefer the younger son ?

S

soleil10

Abel and Cain, Shem and Ham, Isaac and Ishmael, Jacob and Esau, Perez and Zerah, etc.

Why do you think God prefer the younger son and why the older son has to submit to the younger one ?

For me it is part of the process to reverse what happened at the fall.

Abel and Cain, Shem and Ham, Isaac and Ishmael, Jacob and Esau, Perez and Zerah, etc.

Why do you think God prefer the younger son and why the older son has to submit to the younger one ?

For me it is part of the process to reverse what happened at the fall.

In my wife's culture, the youngest son inherits everything after the parents pass away. In return, it is his duty to take care of the parents in their old age. I'm pretty sure it's the opposite in ancient Hebrew culture, though.

I don't think that God prefers the younger son so much as he selectsthe younger son, though. I believe that God loves all of his children, but he eventually needs to select someone to serve his purposes. It is definitely strange how he chooses the youngest. Maybe he's just messing with our social conventions and, by extension, our heads. Maybe because he likes the least-probable person to be the hero, whereas the oldest son is the most probable to become successful (example: most teachers in Canada are first-born or only children).

It's so ironic, though: It seems to me that the ultimate blessing in an ancient Hebrew household was for the firstborn to be a male.

Good question, Sunny :)

I don't know? Perhaps because in Hebrew culture the eldest inherits what is earthly, while G-d chooses the youngest for what is heavenly, or rather for G-ds own purpose.

Good question

GK

Well, if this was asked on the Judaic Board, there might be a whole different order of discussion, but as this is the Christian Board, I suggest we meditate upon the parable of the Prodigal Son.

The point here is that the father does not prefer the younger son, it's just a human assumption that he does.

Thomas

1 Cor 1:25-29
25 because God's foolishness is wiser than human wisdom, and God's weakness is stronger than human strength.

Boasting Only in the Lord

26 Brothers, consider your calling: not many are wise from a human perspective, [e] not many powerful, (AL) not many of noble birth. 27 Instead, God has chosen (AM) the world's foolish things to shame the wise, and God has chosen the world's weak things to shame the strong. 28 God has chosen the world's insignificant and despised things (AN) —the things viewed as nothing—so He might bring to nothing the things that are viewed as something, 29 so that no one [f] can boast in His presence.

Back