Saved by Grace through Faith

Gatekeeper

Shades of Reason
Reaction score
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen." The way I understand this passage is that our our faith produces grace, or rather the "substance" of our hope. When our faith is sufficient, the grace gained then produces the "evidence" of salvation, i.e "Works" (or Fruits).

"Faith without works is dead." As I understand it, this means that without the evidence, or rather "Works/Fruits" of our faith, then our faith is a false, and spiritless. To experience salvation we need to be filled with the fruits of God's Spirit, which are Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, meekness, gentleness, and self control. Only by the Grace of God are we able to attain this type of evidence of our faith, which are the fruits of the Spirit, i.e "works"

(Certainly not the kind of our own doing).

"Ye shall know them by their fruits". Far too many do not recognize the fruits they are producing. I believe this is largely due to the whole "We are saved by grace alone" idea. In my mind, we are not experiencing salvation until our faith produces good fruits/works. The grace alone doctrine seems to give a free pass for others to be viperous in disposition, as they ultimately resist bearing the fruits of the Spirit

(Love, Joy, Peace, Kindness, Gentleness, etc).

Gal 5:5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness.
Gal 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

"Eph 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Eph 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.
Eph 4:32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."

GK

Hi GK —

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen." The way I understand this passage is that our our faith produces grace, or rather the "substance" of our hope. When our faith is sufficient, the grace gained then produces the "evidence" of salvation, i.e "Works" (or Fruits).

I wrote a lot on this text in an essay recently, which meant reading up on the exegetes. There are some scholars (of whom I approve!) who draw the same conclusion as you. Such faith is not 'blind' as many would have it, but is actually experiential and known — the text ties in with others (I can dig out the reference of it's any use/interest) to show that the faith was very 'real'.

There's succint notes in the New Jerome Biblical Commentary, if you ever come across such works.

Thomas
(PS: As a catlick, 'GK' is a cool nom-de-plume!)

Back