Ott's esoterism

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Paul's efforts were directed more toward organizing and maintaining churches than to teaching the original message of individual transformation (salvation).
Here Ott indicates his complete and utter failure to comprehends what Christ, His Mission, His Traditions and His Church, is all about.

The one vital component of Christianity has eluded him: Christianity is not about individual salvation, its about salvation as such.

"For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting."
John 3:16

"(God our Saviour) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus: Who gave himself a redemption for all, a testimony in due times."
1 Timothy 2:4-6

Rarely has it been said better, or more memorably, than by John Donne (1572-1631):
"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated ... As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness ... No man is an island, entire of itself ... any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Consider:
"That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me."
John 17:21-23

As long as man has his own salvation in mind, as long as he is not one with his neighbour, he is not a Christian.

There is a story of Christ from the Sufi Tradition.
Jesus was walking with His disciples when he came upon a holy man (an esoterist, perhaps?). "What are you doing?" Jesus asked him. "I have dedicated my life to God" the man said. "Who cares for all your needs?" Jesus asked. "My brother takes care of everything" the man replied. "Then your brother loves God more than you do," Jesus said, and continued on His way.

St Paul offers this:
"That Christ may dwell by faith in your hearts; that being rooted and founded in charity, You may be able to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth, and length, and height, and depth: To know also the charity of Christ, which surpasseth all knowledge, that you may be filled unto all the fulness of God."
Ephesians 3:17-19.

Those 'dimensions' — breadth, length, height and depth — have given true Christian esoterists a treasury of unfathomably rich Scriptural exegesis to draw from.

Meanwhile, the pseudo-esoterist, intent on nothing other than his own vainglory, is just as St Paul speaks of him, a 'sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal ... (in fact they are) ... nothing" (cf 1 Corinthians 13:1-2).

Thomas

Thomas

From Ott:

Church Christianity was formed mainly through political influences, starting with the heroic, inspiring efforts of Paul to create a system that would spread throughout the Roman world, based on the transforming teachings of Jesus, but to a certain degree accommodating the times, and various cultures. Paul's efforts were directed more toward organizing and maintaining churches than to teaching the original message of individual transformation (salvation). He worked to create a collective authority with exclusive power to disseminate the teaching and to control every aspect of belief and behavior of its members. The teaching of Paul was a vast departure from the teaching of Jesus, not only in principle, but in practice.
But as we've seen Christianity has an exoteric meaning for the sake of society and an inner esoteric quality for the sake of individual transformation.
Jesus message wasn't to be specific in public but only in private where it could be understood. The whole idea of the church is to be an esoteric school where the union of the esoteric with the exoteric can take place. This was Paul's intent. Of course it doesn't exist now other then in private since the church lost its way.

"For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting."
John 3:16

"(God our Saviour) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus: Who gave himself a redemption for all, a testimony in due times."
1 Timothy 2:4-6

But who are "men?"

John 14
5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
I don't deny anyone. It is just completely clear that the world rejects the message. Its attachment to the Beast is so strong that it must deny the message. The question becomes if such a quality of attachment can be saved? I don't believe so.

In Buddhism the idea would be that attachment will lead to a lower place on the wheel of samsara. The idea seems just as reasonable as salvation in Christianity where both require a quality of human awakening.

As long as man has his own salvation in mind, as long as he is not one with his neighbour, he is not a Christian.
But who is ones neighbor:

Luke 10
29But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

30In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two silver coins[e] and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'
36"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" 37The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

Considering the human condition in the world today, a true Christian doesn't have many neighbors.

If the world insists on being one way, and a person feels the calling of Christianity as Simone did, it makes no sense to be content with just being a cog in the wheel of the Beast but rather making the necessary efforts to become oneself: re-birth.

Meanwhile, the pseudo-esoterist, intent on nothing other than his own vainglory, is just as St Paul speaks of him, a 'sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal ... (in fact they are) ... nothing" (cf 1 Corinthians 13:1-2).
What you are referring to here is demonic which is not the intent of Esoteric Christianity. The esoteric Christian seeks to serve in heaven by becoming himself rather then ruling in hell which vainglory helps one to do.

The Greek for 'all men' is pas anthropos — as such it is a generic term, and means the human race.

See above.

You'd better ask a true Christian that, before you make such gross assumptions.

Thomas

Jesus spells out rather well what he means by neighbor. I would like to ask a true Christian. They are not easy to find.

The point still stands, which you continue to avoid, that your doctrine is founded on a false premise.

The reason Jesus taught his close apostles was because His intention was that they should continue to build His Church after He had left them, as He told them (Acts 1 et seq).

If Ott is in possession of some 'other' teaching of Jesus, it would be interesting to see it.

Thomas

Back