Archbishop excommunicates child rape abortion helpers

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I see the right to abortion as greatly abused - more as a form of contraception and rarely used for the extreme examples that could justify it.

And yet, in the latter example, where a child was raped in Brazil, an archibishop has pushed for excommunication on all those who helped secure an abortion for the child:

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Rape row sparks excommunications

A Brazilian archbishop says all those who helped a child rape victim secure an abortion are to be excommunicated from the Catholic Church.

The girl, aged nine, who lives in the north-eastern state of Pernambuco, became pregnant with twins.

It is alleged that she had been sexually assaulted over a number of years by her stepfather.

The excommunication applies to the child's mother and the doctors involved in the procedure.

The pregnancy was terminated on Wednesday.

Abortion is only permitted in Brazil in cases of rape and where the mother's life is at risk and doctors say the girl's case met both these conditions.

Police believe that the girl at the centre of the case had been sexually abused by her step-father since she was six years old.

A very sad case. I doubt the Catholic Church will ever change its stance against abortion, but this really seems like a lack of charity prevailing.

certainly seems a sure fire way of continuing/increasing religious adherents in churches; which has in fact been happening in latin america/africa though protestantism is gaining ground there also through evangelising/pentecostalism as it accords with belief in spirits/ancestors/speaking in tongues/ecstatic dance/importance of music/drumming to that culture.

Though it is in the main women in general who are the attendees of churches here the priests are of course still only male. Liberal theology with marxist ideologies are gaining ground in countries extremely poor and exploited. Feminist christianity also is increasing as the language does not speak to some women, the focus becoming the virgin mary as the locus of prayer and role model, from latin america to the phillipines.

I blame the institution and one of its executive members.

Not everybody can be a religion of one.

We may draw on the strength in numbers, but we must also bear the weakness in it.

I see the right to abortion as greatly abused - more as a form of contraception and rarely used for the extreme examples that could justify it.

And yet, in the latter example, where a child was raped in Brazil, an archibishop has pushed for excommunication on all those who helped secure an abortion for the child:

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Rape row sparks excommunications

This is one of those questions where there is no objective right and wrong. Christianity seeks the transformation of our egoistic suffering through acquiring the ability to consciously carry ones cross in pursuit of re-birth. From this perspective abortion denies this opportunity to confront and transform our own ego.

However the secular church no longer can help an individual to do this and through suppression, often only makes matters worse IMO. From this perspective abortion to me is the best alternative.

Back