Naw-Ruz is coming soon!

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
Baha'is observe Naw-Ruz as New Years Day. Naw-Ruz is coming up later this week starting around evening March 20th and during the day on March 21st. It's also what is known as the Vernal Equinox.

For Baha'is Naw-Ruz will celebrate the year 166 B.E. (Baha'i Era) of the Badi Calendar (also known as the Baha'i Calendar). The Nineteen day Fast also ends with Naw-Ruz. Baha'is date their calendar from the year 1844 of the Gregorian Calendar and 1260 AH of the Muslim Calendar.

The Baha'i Calendar has nineteen months with nineteen days in each month for 361 days. Four or five intercalary days are added to make the 365 day calendar and an extra day is added for leap years.

Around the Baha'i world Baha'is will gather together and celebrate .. Some will have picnics that day... Because it is a Holy Day Baha'is will not be working or going to school that day.

Naw-Ruz is also the ancient Persian New Year observed by Zoroastrians and Shiah Muslims in Iran and Afghanistan. Ancient Assyrians/Syrians also observed March 21st as their New Year Akitu and this was introduced around 700 BCE.

- Art:)

this resonates with my springtime post.
the beginning 0' aries the first fire element sign [creative intuition-birth of the hero, the divine within] - promethus who stole fire from zeus to give to the human race which zeus punished by bringing pandoras and her box of problems as he forsaw arrogance in this fire gift,though pandora released at last- hope -from the box] Hercules rescued promethus from his plight of relentless suffering and was a very important demi-god of the Romans as a virile and ferile saviour, the cult of Hercules was widespread, particularly among the soldiers; and the emperors associated themselves with him for legitimate authority.

Ancient origins of Naw-Ruz...

Thanks for your post "nativeastral" and welcome to the Baha'i Forum!

Your review of Greco-Roman mythology is interesting.

The Persian New Year is very ancient and goes back it seems to the early epochs of the ancient Middle East.

In my reading of the Shah-Nameh there was a verse of Ferdasi that says King Jamshid began the celebration of Naw-Ruz in primordial times:

Naw-Ruz is the first day of Farvardin, the first month of the Iranian solar year. Since ancient times it has been the great national holiday of Iran, the only holiday celebrated by more than one religious group.

The origins of Naw-Ruz are unknown but it obviously began as a pastoral fertility festival.

Legend attributes its foundation to the mythical antediluvian king Jamshid. Naw-Ruz and Mihrajan, the corresponding festival of the autumnal equinox in September, are the two great annual festivals of Zoroastrianism. Originally a sombre festival dedicated to the spirits of the dead was held for five days ten days before Naw-Ruz, followed by a further five days corresponding to the Baha'i Ayyam-i-Ha. Later Naw-Ruz gradually became a secular holiday and as such it continued to be observed even after the triumph of Islam in Iran. Muslim kings in Iran, like their Zoroastrian predecessors, celebrated Naw-Ruz with great magnificence. As late as the nineteenth century Naw-Ruz was the only day the Shah would dine with other people.

Shi`i traditions attributed to the Imams endorsed the observance of Naw-Ruz, which was, it was said, the day of many events of great religious significance, among them God's first covenant with mankind, the first rising of the sun, the grounding of Noah's ark on Ararat, Gabriel's first appearance to Muhammad, the destruction of the idols in the Ka`bih by `Ali, Muhammad's appointment of `Ali as His successor, the appearance of the Qa'im, and the final triumph of the Qa'im over the Antichrist. Such traditions echoed similar accounts of Naw-Ruz found in Zoroastrian literature.

Source:

Encyclopedia Article: Naw-Ruz: The Baha'i New Year

nawruz2007copy.jpg

thank you artha for sharing naw-ruz information new ness; l was interested in the symbolism of the seven S's?

and the talk by obama,hopeful,if one can forget past betrayal and deceit; as ever the mystics words towards the end shot through more than rhetoric.

peace and hope

Ohh.. Thanks nativeastral for the post!

I included Obama's Naw-Ruz message because it's the first time that I'm aware of a US President making a special address for that occasion..and has historical value for us Baha'is.

Whether or not you agree with his policies is alright too.. We're non-partisan.

- Art:)

oh yes l was also enamoured by the olive branch approach and like many others hope honesty and integrity can conjoin with politics for a better future, l was just listening to the careful wording and emphasis [as usual] on commerce; its early days for obama and presidency doesnt mean autonomy, once your'e in the political matrix you play with the rules already set up in the computer game; hope the programmers are an enlightened bunch=glad he's the young one.

US House Resolution 267 for Naw-Ruz:

Recognizing the cultural and historical significance of Nowruz, expressing appreciation to Iranian-Americans for their contributions to society, and wishing Iranian-Americans and the... (Introduced in House)

HRES 267 IH
111th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. RES. 267
Recognizing the cultural and historical significance of Nowruz, expressing appreciation to Iranian-Americans for their contributions to society, and wishing Iranian-Americans and the people of Iran a prosperous new year.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
March 19, 2009

Mr. HONDA (for himself, Mrs. MALONEY, Ms. LINDA T. SANCHEZ of California, Mr. FILNER, Mr. GRIJALVA, Mr. WOLF, Mr. ELLISON, Mr. MORAN of Virginia, Mr. KUCINICH, Mr. LEWIS of Georgia, Mr. MEEKS of New York, Mr. HINCHEY, Mr. FARR, Ms. MCCOLLUM, Mr. TIERNEY, Mr. BLUMENAUER, Mr. DEFAZIO, Mr. CONYERS, Mr. AL GREEN of Texas, Ms. ZOE LOFGREN of California, Mrs. TAUSCHER, Ms. WOOLSEY, Ms. RICHARDSON, Ms. KOSMAS, Mr. PAUL, and Ms. HIRONO) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
RESOLUTION

Recognizing the cultural and historical significance of Nowruz, expressing appreciation to Iranian-Americans for their contributions to society, and wishing Iranian-Americans and the people of Iran a prosperous new year.

Whereas Nowruz marks the traditional Iranian New Year, which originated in ancient Persia, and dates back more than 3,000 years;

Whereas Nowruz, meaning a `New Day', occurs on the vernal equinox and celebrates the arrival of spring;

Whereas Nowruz symbolizes a time of renewal and community, it harkens the departure from the trials and tribulations of the previous year and brings hope for the New Year;

Whereas Nowruz is celebrated by nearly 300,000,000 Iranians and other peoples all over the world, including in the United States, Iran, and other countries in Central Asia, South Asia, Caucasus, Crimea, and Balkan Regions;

Whereas Nowruz is celebrated by more than 1,000,000 Iranian-Americans of all backgrounds, including those with Baha'i, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Zoroastrian, and non-religious backgrounds;

Whereas the people of Iran have a long history of celebrating Nowruz and are congratulated for their bringing in of the New Year;

Whereas Nowruz embodies the tradition that each individual's thinking, speaking, and conduct should always be virtuous, and the ideal of compassion for our fellow human beings regardless of ethnicity or religion, and symbolizes a time of renewal and community;

Whereas the United States is a melting pot of ethnicities and religion and Nowruz contributes the richness of American culture and is consistent with our founding principles of peace and prosperity for all;

Whereas in 539 B.C., Cyrus the Great established one of the earliest charters on human rights, which abolished slavery and allowed for freedom of religion, and this marker in Iranian history has had significant impact on the respect for human rights that Iranian-Americans carry today;

Whereas Nowruz serves to remind the United States of the many noteworthy and lasting contributions of Iranian-Americans to the social and economic fabric of society in the United States;

Whereas Iranian-Americans continue to make contributions in all sectors of American public life, including as government, military, and law enforcement officials working to uphold the Constitution of the United States and to protect all people in the United States;

Whereas Iranian-Americans are vibrant, peaceful, and law-abiding citizens, many of whom are Baha'i, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and Zoroastrian faiths; and

Whereas the Iranian-American community continues to enrich the tapestry of the diversity in the United States: Now, therefore, be it
  • Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
    • (1) recognizes the cultural and historical significance of Nowruz;
    • (2) expresses its appreciation for the contributions of Iranian-Americans to society in the United States in observance of Nowruz; and
    • (3) wishes Iranian-Americans and the people of Iran and all those who observe this holiday a prosperous new year.
Source:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.+Res.+267:

Greetings! :)

Sorry: WHAT seven S's?

I--for one--have no idea what you're referring to.

Thanks,

Bruce

P.S. - Happy Baha'i New Year, that being today! :)

hello bruce [my maternal gran's surname]
the reference to the 7 s's was in arthra 1st post link to the enclyclopedia; am interested in symbols so just wondered what it meant.

Back