Monks will bless your home for enough cash.

K

KillingBuddha

I went to a demonstration yesterday, where some Buddhist monks discussed their religion, ways of life and the plight and struggles of Tibet. It was very interesting indeed, and they went on to make a mandala out of grains of sand, over the course of three days, that was remarkable in detail and color. Yesterday they ritually dismantled it, brushing it out of existence in a demonstration of the impermance of things and the need to detach, etc. This was very thought provoking. I felt a little helpless in regards to the Tibet situation. What can we really do to help this tragedy from unfolding? Mere conversation and awareness seems a little impotent sometimes. Another issue I found a little controversial was that for $150 dollars the monks will come to a person's home and bless it. I thought this was a bit odd-- people that are detached from the modern and all-around physical plain, doing favors for cash. I suppose everyone has to make their way through this monetarily-fueled world, but when you choose such an intense path as they have, regarding the transcending of such trivialities of money, it seems a lttle contradictory to do house calls for money. This is a stretch, but isn't it sort of like a nun being being a famous spokesperson for safe sex? Nuns are supposed to be detached from sex, as monks are from money. What do you think?

KillingBuddha said:
I went to a demonstration yesterday, where some Buddhist monks discussed their religion, ways of life and the plight and struggles of Tibet. It was very interesting indeed, and they went on to make a mandala out of grains of sand, over the course of three days, that was remarkable in detail and color. Yesterday they ritually dismantled it, brushing it out of existence in a demonstration of the impermance of things and the need to detach, etc. This was very thought provoking. I felt a little helpless in regards to the Tibet situation. What can we really do to help this tragedy from unfolding? Mere conversation and awareness seems a little impotent sometimes. Another issue I found a little controversial was that for $150 dollars the monks will come to a person's home and bless it. I thought this was a bit odd-- people that are detached from the modern and all-around physical plain, doing favors for cash. I suppose everyone has to make their way through this monetarily-fueled world, but when you choose such an intense path as they have, regarding the transcending of such trivialities of money, it seems a lttle contradictory to do house calls for money. This is a stretch, but isn't it sort of like a nun being being a famous spokesperson for safe sex? Nuns are supposed to be detached from sex, as monks are from money. What do you think?
Namaste,

welcome to the forum.

i think that there is a distinct and pronounced difference between the Vajrayana monastic tradition and the Theravedan monastic tradition one of which is how they view money. in most Theravedan monastic settings, monks and nuns are not allowed to touch money... this poses it's own problems.. and the rules of the Vinya have been modified such that they can use checks or debit/credit cards.

in the Vajrayana monastic settings, by contrast, this was never really a concern.

what is especially difficult for people not familiar with the three Vehicles is seperating their cultural accretions, of which there are many, from the Buddhadharma as such.

now.. the tradition of monks or nuns coming to a home to perform blessings and so forth for money is a fairly common practice in the Tibetan and Mongolian flavors of Vajrayana Buddhism. traditionally, of course, they would be paid with food or other textile goods... that's how it worked back in the day.

in our modern society, especially in the west, money takes the place of the barter of services. the traditional existence of the monastic.. i.e. begging for alms and providing religious services for individuals etc. is less sustainable in our society so the Buddhist tradition changes to accomodate itself with the cultural tradition in which it is operating.

i can only imagine what Western Buddhism will look like in 100 years from now. at that point, i'd fully expect that we'd have our own system of symbolism and iconography with which we can express the unfolding of Buddhadharma.

Vajradhara said:
i can only imagine what Western Buddhism will look like in 100 years from now. at that point, i'd fully expect that we'd have our own system of symbolism and iconography with which we can express the unfolding of Buddhadharma.

Namaskar Vajradhara,

Do you have any thoughts about modern western developments such as the Western Buddhist Order (FWBO) or the New Kadampa Tradition?
I've heard that in the FWBO, members have to pay a regular fee. Or is this perhaps part of the Buddhist Sangha in general?

Avinash said:
Namaskar Vajradhara,

Do you have any thoughts about modern western developments such as the Western Buddhist Order (FWBO) or the New Kadampa Tradition?
I've heard that in the FWBO, members have to pay a regular fee. Or is this perhaps part of the Buddhist Sangha in general?

(If I may)

Hmmm...
The Kadampas. They're causing quite a stir at the moment. They are not on good terms with the Dalai Lama for various reasons.

My own experience of them has not been too impressive. One of the monks came to our yoga centre and gave a talk about love and Buddhism. He stuttered terribly. It was quite painful to watch. I mean, sure, there's nothing 'inherently' wrong with that, but then don't give talks. Find some other way of spreading Dharma, like on a forum.
Just this lack of basic common sense unerved me a bit.

Also, I understand that stuttering occurs when you try to say words before you've composed them in your mind. Now if anything should be in order in a Buddhist, it should be their mind. It's such a simple problem to cure and yet he, a westerner at a goodly age, has not taken the time to improve one of his most valuable assets, his ability to speak properly.

He came from another city, so I haven't followed up on his centre or anything, but it wasn't a pleasant experience for me, being the first monk I have ever seen. I was just thinking at that time, 'How many people are being put off what he is saying because he can't say it properly?'

OK. Enough. Vaj, what you say?

Namaste all,

Avinash, thank you for the post.

this is a strange situation that the western Buddhist community finds itself in... the traditional methods of support for the monastic and the institutional setting don't exist here... however, monks, nuns and monastaries do :) what's a poor Buddhist to do?

i was particular struck by something His Holiness the Dalai Lama said in an answer and question session with western Buddhists.. he was asked, what should the Buddhist response be if our teachings are proven to be incorrect through science. HH the Dalai Lama laughed and said "we'll need to change our teachings" and he cited the Buddhas teaching of impermenance. this question was asked in regards to traditional Buddhist cosmology, fyi.

one of the strengths of the Buddhist tradition is it's ability to move from culture to culture adopting that cultures use of metaphor and allegory to express Buddhadharma. as you may or may not know, in Buddhist thangkas (religious paintings) various Buddhas are depicted as various colors, shapes and holding various objects to symbolize various aspects of mind. i feel that these are the first things that will change as more westerners become qualified tantric practiconers and are able to properly maintain the keyeria visualizations.

of the two, the Western Buddhist Order seems to be more approachable for a western person.. the Tibetan traditions, in all their forms, are steeped in Tibetan culture.. which can be either helpful or unhelpful depending on your capacity. this observation and experience (i practice one of the Tibetan lineages) leads me to conclude that the Western Buddhist Order is generally more appropos for a westerner.

all that i can really say about the current dispute between His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Kadampa group is that they are acting like knuckleheads :) hey... if you can't scrutinize your own lineage and tradition, what can you scrutinize?

Back