Cypriot Mystic

haha multi lingual I see. My Yaya is also a mystic ;) She used to smack me before I did something wrong ;)

An other famous Cypriot is Zeno of Citium, He was born in Citium which is the ancient name of Larnaca my home town. Zeno is considered to be one of the Great Western thinkers. He was the founder of stoic school of thought in Athens from about 300 BC.

200px-Zeno_of_Citium_pushkin.jpg

Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All of these things have come upon them through ignorance of real good and ill... I can neither be harmed by any of them, for no man will involve me in wrong, nor can I be angry with my kinsman or hate him; for we have come into the world to work together...

Following Socrates, the Stoics held that unhappiness and evil are the results of ignorance. If someone is unkind, it is because they are unaware of their own universal reason. Likewise, if they are unhappy, it is because they have forgotten how nature actually functions. The solution to evil and unhappiness then, is the practice of Stoic philosophy — to examine one's own judgments and behaviour and determine where they have diverged from the universal reason of nature.

Stoic quotes

Epictetus:
  • "Freedom is secured not by the fulfilling of one's desires, but by the removal of desire." (iv.1.175)
  • "Where is the good? In the will. Where is the evil? In the will. Where is neither of them? In those things that are independent of the will." (ii.16.1)
  • "Man is disturbed not by things, but by the views he takes of them." (Ench. 5)
  • "If, therefore, any be unhappy, let him remember that he is unhappy by reason of himself alone." (iii.24.2)
  • "I am formed by nature for my own good: I am not formed for my own evil." (iii.24.83)
  • "Permit nothing to cleave to you that is not your own; nothing to grow to you that may give you agony when it is torn away." (iv.1.112)

Back