'Ark of the Covenant' about to be unveiled?

E

eccles

The patriarch of the Orthodox Church of Ethiopia says he will announce to the world Friday the unveiling of the Ark of the Covenant, perhaps the world's most prized archaeological and spiritual artifact, which he says has been hidden away in a church in his country for millennia, according to the Italian news agency Adnkronos.
Abuna Pauolos, in Italy for a meeting with Pope Benedict XVI this week, told the news agency, "Soon the world will be able to admire the Ark of the Covenant described in the Bible as the container of the tablets of the law that God delivered to Moses and the center of searches and studies for centuries." The announcement is expected to be made at 2 p.m. Italian time from the Hotel Aldrovandi in Rome. Pauolos will reportedly be accompanied by Prince Aklile Berhan Makonnen Haile Sellassie and Duke Amedeo D'Acosta.
'Ark of the Covenant' about to be unveiled?

The Comments are very interesting:

If you look at the WND article date, this event was to have taken place this past Friday. Didn’t happen.

Yeah, well when the guys that were preparing the run-thru all melted into boiling piles of wax they decided to put it back in storage for a while.

Report in article has proven to be totally bogus - was supposed to happen two weeks ago - never did....
-------------------------------
Shows you doesn't it.
Genesis is so much fiction.

This report and your observation are both nonsense. If you want to discuss atheism, please do a better job. You are looking like a spammer again.

There is an issue that eccles hints at that needs to be discussed.

Religious predictions and proofs have been dangled before a gullible public for thousands of years. Armageddon hasn't transpired, yet is constantly being predicted to be just around the corner. Proof of God or divinity in the form of arks and shrouds have all fallen by the wayside of disrepute. The history of religious proof has been a long line of scams, fakery and broken promises.

And yet the attempts haven't ceased in the least. Divinity doesn't have one iota of the physical evidence to prove it. Can you imagine what a stir it would cause if even a single piece were found? Yet we have an enormous amounts of evidence to support natural origins for our existence, and every day they are dismissed by people of faith who don't wish to acknowledge it.

I think that's what eccles is getting at here. The ark was just another in an endless succession of failed attempts to prove that divinity is real. How many times will people get it wrong before they move to a more realistic outlook and life philosophy?

CZ, Eccles is using the "strawman" debating technique. I learned this technique in my Jr. High debate team. Sort of reminds me of the Dan Quayle debate strategy (remember him :D ?)

He gives the example of someone claiming they are going to produce the Ark of Covenent. And then they cannot produce the Ark. Well big surprise, the Ark was lost thousands of years ago, and everyone knows that !!

And then he connects this to his great hypothesis, that Genesis is fiction. How does this prove that Genesis is fiction :confused:. There is no logical connection. The basic premise is false, so of course conclusion will be false as well !!

So CZ, you can dress a strawman up, but you don't want to take him out :).

I will be glad to address you points shortly.

Eccles is a self-professed cranky old ex-catholic, and somewhat clumsy with his OP, but I do see where I think his point leads. I look forward to your response Avi. I'm not sure why the post landed here. It seems more appropriate to the mythology section.

And yet the attempts haven't ceased in the least. Divinity doesn't have one iota of the physical evidence to prove it. Can you imagine what a stir it would cause if even a single piece were found? Yet we have an enormous amounts of evidence to support natural origins for our existence, and every day they are dismissed by people of faith who don't wish to acknowledge it.

This might be a very short argument. As a Reform Jew I do not believe in the divine giving of Torah.

On the other hand, if you define divinity, or G-d, in a pantheist sense or panentheist sense, then physical evidence is everywhere, by definition.

I think that's what eccles is getting at here. The ark was just another in an endless succession of failed attempts to prove that divinity is real. How many times will people get it wrong before they move to a more realistic outlook and life philosophy?
Not sure that was where Eccles was heading, let's let him speak for himself. I think he was more headed back to his notion about the mythic, fable and legendary aspects of Genesis, which we already discussed in detail on the other thread.

One of my concerns about Eccles is that he likes to blow "smoke" about "holy" issues, hmm, why do those words sound familiar to me :eek:. Just wondering ???

How do you know what you are looking at is not his / her signature ? :)

If you don't "know" then you don't know. We are talking about God, afterall. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Unless, of course, the evidence isn't there, making it necessary for His presence to be a matter of faith and not evidence.

The problem I find with AVI is that there is nothing about him/her on the CP. At least I have revealed all about me for what it is worth, no "skeletons in the closet"; never married and no kids.

At least we know Avi is Jewish, and i respect that.

Shalom.

If you don't "know" then you don't know. We are talking about God, afterall. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Unless, of course, the evidence isn't there, making it necessary for His presence to be a matter of faith and not evidence.

Where is evidence for "God" that would be accepted by a Court of Law? And before someone goes off about sweaing an oath on the bible, an afirmation is accepted now.

So, this might be the more interesting part of the discussion than the original post.

If you don't "know" then you don't know.
Agreed.

We are talking about God, afterall. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.
Could be very hard to figure out, indeed. Some things which are true are not figured out for thousands, tens of thousands, perhaps millions of years. Some truths will probably never be figured out.

Unless, of course, the evidence isn't there, making it necessary for His presence to be a matter of faith and not evidence.
We accept ideas on faith all the time. These are called assumptions, axioms, etc. The question we have to answer is, are these assumptions consistent with reality ?

The problem I find with AVI is that there is nothing about him/her on the CP. At least I have revealed all about me for what it is worth, no "skeletons in the closet"; never married and no kids.

At least we know Avi is Jewish, and i respect that.

Shalom.

Eccles, since you ask, I am a real believer in the anonymous nature of this forum. So that means I do not put personal information on this public site.

Since you are bringing this up, there is a good reason for this. I have read recent sociological studies which indicate that for some reason people are willing to put much more personal information about themselves on public fora than they are willing to do in other public environments. And there is no reason to give up this privacy. I am here to share ideas about interfaith with a broader community than I can in my hometown. It is not necessary to share my personal information to do this.

Having said that, I am willing to exchange information by PM, if I have gotten to know a poster and feel comfortable with them.

I advise you and the other posters to consider your public profile carefully before posting. As I have told you previously, people read this stuff :).

By the way, I am a male. Avi is short for Avraham, a popular Jewish name :). In case you have not noticed, I am less diplomatic than most women I know. :D (ut oh, now I might have asked for it ;)).

Hey Eccles, I just noticed this post of yours in the social groups, "Heretics and Blasphemers", you know that group is publically readable, right ?

So, could you give us a little more context about what this post is about ?

I seem to remember some threads earlier on about stoning to death, was that by one of your pre-incarnates ??? And the Egyptology connection, hmmm....

Just curious, and think I am seeing a pattern re-emerging. Why do I think I see the "smoke' and the "holy" stuff again ???

Quote: eccles
Priest: Matthias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath...
Matthias: Do I say yes?
Guard: Yes.
Matthias: Yes!
Priest: ...you have been found guilty by the elders of the town of uttering the name of our Lord, and so as a blasphemer...
Women disguised as bearded men: Ooh...
Priest: ...you are to be stoned to death!
Women disguised as bearded men: Aah!
Matthias: Look, I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was: "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehova!".
Women disguised as bearded men: Oooh!
Priest: Blasphemy! He said it again!

Just curious, and think I am seeing a pattern re-emerging. Why do I think I see the "smoke' and the "holy" stuff again ???

Shalom, Avi.
Hey, don't take things so seriously. Does the "Life of Brian" offend you?
The writers of that spent 12 years in Church of England Boarding Schools. They were taught Bible well.

Oh, and I'd hate to have you teaching me Theology. I don't know who would spit the dummy first. Probably me.

Shalom

Shalom, Avi.
Hey, don't take things so seriously.

Eccles, just so you know, I take it very seriously when I see a poster that has an agenda that might have hate motivating it.

You claim to be an athesist. In my experience atheists try to debunk legend, fable and myth.

So far it looks to me like you try to create it, with an underlying agenda. :mad:

"You claim to be an athesist. In my experience atheists try to debunk legend, fable and myth.

So far it looks to me like you try to create it, with an underlying agenda."

Avi,
I AM Atheist. So you admit the Bible is legend, fable and myth. So what is wrong with debunking that. My agenda is to point out to brainwashed believers that the Bible is legend.
Hate? Yes my hate is about the Bible being regarded as fact and the inerrant word of some non-existance "god". I hate BS.

So you admit the Bible is legend, fable and myth. So what is wrong with debunking that. My agenda is to point out to brainwashed believers that the Bible is legend.
Hate? Yes my hate is about the Bible being regarded as fact and the inerrant word of some non-existance "god". I hate BS.

Eccles, the problem that I see is that what you say and what you do are different. Mostly what I have seen so far is you create BS or steal it from others.

Remember the character from Dr. Strangelove who uncontrollably makes the Heil Hitler salute. You remind me of a caricature of that caricature.

Lets see this "atheist" agenda of yours as it unfolds. And please make sure it is not a BS atheist agenda covering over other forms of hate.

By the way, could you remind us, what was the outcome of the genetic screening you had done :cool: ? The one that revealed your ancestoral connections ?

And I believe that you are the earlier posters holysmoke and sonoman :mad:

Enough said.

Back