Intolerance & Judgment

pseudonymous

Obtuse Kineticist
Reaction score
Intolerance & Judgment

I remember that one of the big lessons I once learned came from a radical right wing conservative. There was some sort of debate going on during one of those talking head shows about politics. The liberal guy was going on and on about the right's intolerance, and how the left was inclusive. The right winger stunned everyone involved by reminding the liberal that the left is inclusive as long as it doesn't include the ideas of the right. That opened my eyes to how pervasive intolerance is, even by those who are its supposed victims.

As my awareness expanded, I found myself able to allow another person to have different ideas and experiences as I had, without this cancerous need to defend an illusional turf. It should be self-evident that our paths would not be the same, or right/wrong. Any awareness is appropriate for the experiences, education, and inheritance of the person expressing it. If another's ideas seem limited, then teach by example. You do not teach by making someone defensive.

One of the surest ways of being unconscious is playing the judgement game. Everyone should be regarded as a work in progress. By reinforcing the patterns of the other person's behavior, we become the opposite of a healer ~ the opposite of a holy person. How can we allow for our own growth, while denying our neighbor?

Being unconditional does not mean that we have to condone, or embrace the other person's shortcomings. It is the behavior, or the script that we should be detaching from. The unconscious actor/actress is merely playing a role, that gets reinforced on a daily basis. Shouldn't our responsibility as a spiritually mature person be to discern where the fiction ends, and the conditioned individual begins? It takes an aware person to see and hear another's story, and be able to know the difference between the Self and its dream. Sometimes the best gift of love that we can offer another is to refuse to stand on their stage.

It was an epiphany for me to realize that every time I valued or judged another's script, I was indeed holding a script of my own. Every time we confuse the fiction for the truth, we are within the fiction ourselves. Once we know the difference between being awake and asleep, it is a fate worse than death to find ourself on the stage wielding a script, when we know better. Only by setting the script down will we teach by example, and ever know true liberation.

Let's face it...intolerance, being judged, and judging others was never that interesting of a script to begin with. There are other roles we can play. And certainly ones that are more original and impactful in scope. Judging may be expected, and even understandable in mundane states, but should be recognized as an unconscious reaction, and not the aware Self.

©2004 DC Vision

Originally posted by pseudonymous
It should be self-evident that our paths would not be the same, or right/wrong. Any awareness is appropriate for the experiences, education, and inheritance of the person expressing it. If another's ideas seem limited, then teach by example. You do not teach by making someone defensive

A-MEN!

Concerning the rest of your post, if you can do this, you're a better man than me, Gunga Din.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Kindest Regards, pseudonymous!

Great post! FWIW, I second Phyllis' motion. You're a better man than I, but I'm trying!

Amen. Wish it were as easy to practice as it is to praise.

thanks all,

it is a constant monitoring during interactions with someone immature that helps me. if i know i am being met with an agenda, i tend to have a smoke before responding in any forum. i let the first natural reaction to wash over, see what it says about me, then either respond (if i feel i have anything to say - which is rare), or i just allow the other person their crown...if the mountain is bullsh*t, it does not matter who is king.

i am intimately familiar with the taste of my foot.

dcv-

pseudonymous said:
if the mountain is bullsh*t, it does not matter who is king.

i am intimately familiar with the taste of my foot.
Some more good lines to quote - and we've had some ones throughout CR - maybe I should set up a page comprised of different quotes from member posts here. :)

Back