Contemplatives (ie carmelites)

Rob

מלכות האלוהים הוא בתוך
Reaction score
:confused: Can anyone share their views on this subject.

The concept of going to Church, singing out of tune to a rediculous happy clapping ditty and waving my hands to the sky makes me cringe SO VERY much. I can't help thinking that God would want it to stop. However, the concept of going to church, sitting quietly, sharing my thoughts and praise through contemplation and silent prayer has far more merit. Does this form of practice have a place in modern religious circles? :(

Obviously doesn't have to be a church, any place of worship would suffice, or under a tree, or on the quayside, anywhere, so long as there ain't no singing doozies nearby!!!

Quakers? Mmm, not keen on the hats!

Quakers? Mmm, not keen on the hats!

LOL! I haven't seen anyone wear traditional garb in years. Here in Colorado we have a society of Friends that meets once a week and all are dressed normally.

The concept of going to Church, singing out of tune to a rediculous happy clapping ditty and waving my hands to the sky makes me cringe SO VERY much. I can't help thinking that God would want it to stop. However, the concept of going to church, sitting quietly, sharing my thoughts and praise through contemplation and silent prayer has far more merit. Does this form of practice have a place in modern religious circles? :(

Rob, I agree. Why do people have to be so "loud" in their worship? I find the idea that people have to sing praises to be so dehumanising, almost as if it's a rule that if you're not singing, you're not worshipping. I would prefer to honour God in other ways, like giving charity or treating others as I would like to be treated. The biggest problem is Christians following other Christians rather than trying to rediscover the ways of their first leader.

:confused: Can anyone share their views on this subject.

Latin Mass.

Rob, I agree. Why do people have to be so "loud" in their worship? I find the idea that people have to sing praises to be so dehumanising, almost as if it's a rule that if you're not singing, you're not worshipping. I would prefer to honour God in other ways, like giving charity or treating others as I would like to be treated. The biggest problem is Christians following other Christians rather than trying to rediscover the ways of their first leader.

if you dont want to be loud then dont be and there is nothing dehumanising about it if you are, come to my church and you are free to be loud or not to be loud no judgement either way.

Saltmeister - thank you. For someone of so many (many) words, your reply was both succinct and profound. You have summed up my thoughts in a paragraph. For that I am grateful.

Eclectic Mystic- Latin Mass, I will look into this some more, the concept of Gregorian chant as a backdrop to my contemplation works very well.

Nice cup Of Tea – Thank you for your reply- not sure where your church is, and I fear I may have to wear ear muffs if others insist on emulating the opening rounds of the X Factor auditions. I know that may seem judgemental and I apologise, I respect everyone’s right to worship as they see fit, but I couldn’t concentrate through all of that merriment.

The concept of going to Church, singing out of tune to a rediculous happy clapping ditty and waving my hands to the sky makes me cringe SO VERY much. I can't help thinking that God would want it to stop.
Oooh, steady ... depends where the heart is. I think God is not so easily embarrassed as we are.

However, the concept of going to church, sitting quietly, sharing my thoughts and praise through contemplation and silent prayer has far more merit. Does this form of practice have a place in modern religious circles? :(
Well you mention one religious order — the Carmelites — and there are others, and one can attach oneself to them in a lay capacity, but then these tend to be Catholic, and do not agree with the Philosophy of Relativism that governs the modern mode of thought.

Then again, if you're thinking of the Catholic religious orders, then their contemplations are liturgical, if not Eucharistic ... and that's a whole other ballgame, as the saying goes ...

God bless,

Thomas

a Quaker meeting is quite like what you are discussing.

you may also be interested in looking into some Buddhist temples.

The fact that you are searching tells me you will find what you are looking for. It was a long time for me...searching, giving up, searching, gave up...and then I found what resonated.

I thought I didn't need a congregation, didn't need an organized religon or a building or the songs...and maybe I don't, but I surely enjoy them right now.

a Quaker meeting is quite like what you are discussing.

you may also be interested in looking into some Buddhist temples.

The fact that you are searching tells me you will find what you are looking for. It was a long time for me...searching, giving up, searching, gave up...and then I found what resonated.

I thought I didn't need a congregation, didn't need an organized religon or a building or the songs...and maybe I don't, but I surely enjoy them right now.

That's why I really liked the Quaker meetings. Something about sharing quiet contemplation with a group of like minded souls feels very nourishing.

Part of my inner peace seems mildly disturbed by the Philosophy of Relativism. Although I enjoy the freedoms it encourages, maybe those freedoms contribute to the moral decay of so many of our societies. The principle of Catholicism appeals to me, yet the strict conformist aspect repels me.
I think I will look into the Quaker thing some more but for some reason it doesn't seem to call to me.
The reason I mentioned the Carmelite Order is because I live near Aylesford Priory, and that place seems to quietly call to me, however my stubbornness attempts to ignore the calling. :confused:

I think I may have found my calling !!

Hi Rob —
Part of my inner peace seems mildly disturbed by the Philosophy of Relativism. Although I enjoy the freedoms it encourages, maybe those freedoms contribute to the moral decay of so many of our societies. The principle of Catholicism appeals to me, yet the strict conformist aspect repels me.
Well, you're very Catholic in your refutation of relativism ... yet, as a Catholic, I don't see a strict conformism, there are many types of Catholic, and many charisms. Then again, relativism is refuted by most traditions, or rather the Great Traditions were founded on the principle that man can speak of an absolute beyond philosophical speculation.

As regards 'conformity' – everybody conforms to something, whether they realise it or not.

A man once said: "Freedom is slavery to the path of one's own calling" — every way is bound by its discipline and its rule. No rule, no path.

I think I will look into the Quaker thing some more but for some reason it doesn't seem to call to me.
It strikes me as a pure 'relativism', without the sociological unfortunate aspects. I would say it's more an 'idealism'.

The reason I mentioned the Carmelite Order is because I live near Aylesford Priory, and that place seems to quietly call to me, however my stubbornness attempts to ignore the calling. :confused:
Nothing new there ... maybe try and hear what it's saying?

God bless,

Thomas

Thomas, thank you friend, you make much sense.
I think the fog may be clearing. My confusion is becoming more ordered, the doubts beggining to make sense. Not quite enough yet to declare my personal revelation to all who will listen, and those with no wish to, but I think I may have kicked a few leaves that revaled some cobbles, and it may well be a path I relate to completely and without question.
I believe it may be the very path that leads me into the Kingdom Of God

Personally, I don't think God minds how you worship, so long as you do. Extroverts the singing, the clapping, the loud music. The introverts don't. It's all horses for courses...

Back