m. night shaymalan profile

pseudonymous

Obtuse Kineticist
Reaction score
m. night shaymalan profile

just finished watching a 3 hour profile about m. night shaymalan - the director of the sixth sense, etc - and wished i had watched sunday night hbo instead.

it was terribly staged and melodramatic. they made it appear as though night was very unhappy with the documentary, and yet his movie "the village" was the sponsor of it.

i guess considering the posing that takes place in the media - especially with politicians - it is not surprising that the scifi channel would think that the majority of tv watchers would buy this crap hook, line, and sinker.

the reference as "great director" was apparently made by people who have not seen his last 2 movies. "the sixth sense" was a very well made, well acted movie - but "signs" should go down in history as one of the poorest acting and writing jobs in film. maybe "the village" will be better, since he apparently took a hiatus between films, but the trailers don't look promising.

my 2 cents regarding a documentary about a mediocre director who apparently thinks he is "mysterious" and "important" in film history...but is dwarfed by the likes of johnathan demme. he gets my vote for sunday tv's poser of the day - and scifi channel continues to surround stargate (their one great offering) with increasingly tacky documentaries and horribly produced movies.

dcv-

I can't find the article in question now, but the impression I got from an article in Yahoo news a day or two ago was that the whole thing was a hoax - there was no "dark secret"; it was just a way to publicize the documentary. Wish I had a link for you, but I looked and I can't seem to find it now.

And, as long as we're on the subject - I think the thing with "Signs", which I saw and liked but did not think was great filmmaking by any means, is that it was essentially a 50s B-movie, made in the 21st century. It worked better back then than it does now. I think it has to do with the fact that there was a naivete then that we don't have now. Just my opinion.:)

Yeah, it was just a goof. They came out and said as much friday. Its a real shame. I'd love to have seen a genuine interview with him instead of nonsense.

And before anyone gets the terrible idea of blowing ten bucks to see The Village. Turns out there are no creatures, just the village elders way of keeping the town in their control. Also, its set in the present day but the villagers don't know because they have never been able to venture beyond THE VILLAGE! Ooooo, just another bad Twilight Zone rip-off filled with overpaid stars.

Back