Greetings...

Stephen III

seeker
Reaction score
[font=&quot]I live in the western United States. I turned 50 this year and decided my life sucks. Taking inventory, I came up with three major issues...

I was smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day (I quit exactly 3 months ago today)
I was fat (I still am, but working on it, 12 pounds lost so far)
I believe in nothing (I was raised protestant christian, but shook that long ago)

So these past few months I have been on a quest to find my place... and my searching has brought me here.[/font]

Stephen III said:
[font=&quot]I live in the western United States. I turned 50 this year and decided my life sucks. Taking inventory, I came up with three major issues...

I believe in nothing (I was raised protestant christian, but shook that long ago)

So these past few months I have been on a quest to find my place... and my searching has brought me here.[/font]
Let me be the first to welcome you, as I myself was warmly welcomed just recently. :)

I completely sympathize with the weight loss issue. I found my excess weight crept up on me while I was in college and stayed around for about 10 years until one day I was just sick of dragging it around and feeling badly about my appearance. I made losing it my priority and kept at it .. that was about 2 years ago and I've about reached my goal now and managed not to yo-yo up and down. Its hard though, so much food all around you everywhere you go .. people always offering me rides when I am determined to walk everywhere as much as possible, and not understanding why I really do prefer to walk miles if I have the free time.

I commend you for trying to kick two habits at once .. that's a formidable task .. and quitting smoking can usually lead to more eating, too.

This is a great forum .. so many interesting and thought-provoking topics.

Glad to know you, and hope we can exchange notes on life.

Stephen III said:

I guess all of us here are looking for confirmation of our own chosen and adjusted life and lifestyle, or some tips for a better life.

You mention three major issues, addiction to tobacco, obesity, and lack of a religion.

First, let me congratulate you that you are on that score of your three major issues not compelled to labor most hours of the day that you have no time for surfing the net and exchanging messages in discussion boards.

That already is a very great blessing.

That kind of a status is what I would imagine modern humanism is all about, namely, that man be liberated from the burdens of meeting his biological needs, so that he can give himself to the things of the mind and the arts.

Terrific life, I should say, and we are the privileged ones.

So, be glad then, that we are not like those poor souls in Dafur.

In the meantime, can you do me a favor if and when you read my posts. to tell me what you think are my peculiar unpleasant or pleasant personality traits.

I can always do with some useful criticism of myself, even though some people will get the impression that I am angling for narcissistic pats on my shoulders. Let them think as they prefer, but my request is also addressed to them.

Pachomius2000

Re: Glad to know you, and hope we can exchange notes on life.

Hi Stephen, and welcome to CR. :)

Well done on kicking cigarettes - did that last year - darn hard to do, bt better for it. :)

Best of luck overall. :)

Back