Foundationist Church?

Discussion in 'Alternative' started by Dave the Web, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Dave the Web

Dave the Web New Member

I have been looking around the site (at what you actually have up) and noticed a piece in your general articles section, which refers to a Foundationist Church. I have not yet read all of the article, but it does cause some concern. I joined this site believing that I would be among open-minded people, without fear for questioning any accepted norm or practice. I would be disppointed if the aim of this site was simply to create a sect, a cult, or other schismatic group centered around a central figure.

What say you, Brian?

2. foundationist.org

foundationist.org New Member

May I state immediately that in no way whatsoever is this site intended, in whole or in part, to promote any form of organised belief system, doctrine, or similar - all of which are anathema to basic Foundationist principles. This is intended only as an information site, where open-minded people may indeed discuss. I would actually be quite horrified at the idea of an organisaed body coming into existence - that is the gateway to political manipulation and self-serving personal goals.

3. brian

brian Administrator Admin

Btw - I was actually tempted to e-mail Sean and ask him if he would consider editing the article to remove all reference to "church" or other form of organisation. I figured that would be unnecessary, though, and believe the piont of the article is not a call for organised belief, but instead of freedom of belief.

4. Ali

Ali New Member

You say that there is no orgnaised body involved with this site, yet what is this I see before my name? Neophyte? I fear you have established a system of titles that may confuse this issue.

5. exastra

exastra New Member

one of the definitions of a church is: "The clerical profession; clergy; congregation". it is in this sense that i intended the word to be used. it is not a strictly Christian reference. While the Foundationist Church may be orgnized-- an organization, it in no way promotes an organized religion. what it does promote is an openminded and honest exploration of all beliefs to reconcile differences and focus on commonalities.

6. foundationist

foundationist New Member

Sounds like the Unitarian Universalists! ;)

7. Dave the Web

Dave the Web New Member

I am not against a Foundationist organisation as such. After all, I am sure that there are atheist and theist organisations of all types who have no doctrine. Or perhaps some do. Nevertheless, the use of the term Church did seem a little provocative. Since it is declared that this site promotes no doctrine or organised belief system then I rest more easily. I shall feel moer comfortable now.

8. exastra

exastra New Member

the difference between a Foundationist and a Unitarian Universalist is that the former seeks to know, while the latter accepts the not knowing. one is questing while the other is resting.

9. brian

brian Administrator Admin

Ah, now that is a good distinction. :)

Personally, I'd like to broaden the use to be inclusive of them, though. ;)

Note sure how the UU stand on doctrine - they have a reputation for being very open-minded, but they are still essentially a Christian sect.

10. Dave the Web

Dave the Web New Member

I am not sure if the Unitarians even know what they believe in anymore. :-