But Really, Why Was Jesus Crucified?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Ben Masada, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream New Member

Well I think I understand why a community is more believable, but Genesis doesn't say that Adam and Eve were an entire community. It says that Eve was the mother of every person ever born. If Eve wasn't the mother of all the living then the story it could be that Adam was all the men and Eve was all the women; and they might have all been one big orgy.

I don't disagree with you completely. I think that the idea of multiple wives per man was from early times considered to be a necessary evil, and I think that eventually it was outlawed when it was no longer seen to be necessary. Even in modern times you have the occasional polygamist community which tries to argue that polygamy solves certain problems. It can solve certain problems but also causes certain evils and its just not necessary anymore. Hence it is outlawed.

2. Etu Malku

Etu Malku Mercuræn

Zen Buddhism is as irrational as most of the other religions. Buddhism is functionally theistic, even if it avoids the "G" word. Like its parent religion Hinduism, Buddhism espouses reincarnation, and karma.
    Together, these tenets imply the existence of some cosmic judge who tallies up our naughtiness and niceness before rewarding us with rebirth as a cockroach or as a saintly lama.

Much more dubious is Buddhism's claim that perceiving yourself as in some sense unreal will make you happier and more compassionate.

Even if you achieve a blissful acceptance of the illusory nature of your self, this perspective may not transform you into a saintly bodhisattva, brimming with love and compassion for all other creatures. Far from it—and this is where the distance between certain humanistic values and Buddhism becomes most apparent. To someone who sees himself and others as unreal, human suffering and death may appear laughably trivial.

What's worse, Buddhism holds that enlightenment makes you morally infallible—like the pope, or even a Lunitik. :D

It seems legitimate to ask whether a path that turns away from aspects of life as essential as sexuality and parenthood is truly spiritual. From this perspective, the very concept of enlightenment begins to look anti-spiritual: It suggests that life is a problem that can be solved, a cul-de-sac that can be, and should be, escaped.

3. Ben Masada

Ben Masada New Member

4. Ben Masada

Ben Masada New Member

Energy is not itelligence. While energy is an accident of matter, intelligence is an abstract concept as a result of a developed intellect. And with regards to God, I would not agree with "take away God, and..." but to think of God under the concept of probability. To take away the idea of God is to act as a fool who claims for sure that God does not exist. (Psalm 14:1)
    Ben

5. radarmark

radarmark Quaker-in-the-Making

See, I do not understand, Ch'an, Zen, or the sudden school is a system that embraces both Buddhism and Daoism. That is its nature as a stream arising from the eternal glacier of Buddhism and the Spring of the Dao. Until you know and understand the Sixth and Final Patriarch, it is a little presumptuous of you to speak from on high about Zen--you have not the preparation or the knowledge.

Oh, yes, you can practice its rituals and interpret as you want. But it is like a blind man lecturing on the subtilties of pointillism.

6. Ben Masada

Ben Masada New Member

If one ever thinks of God as a strange fellow who wants to control man, he is no different from the believers in the gods of Greek Mythology.
    Ben

7. radarmark

radarmark Quaker-in-the-Making

How do you respond, Lunitik?

8. Jimmer

Jimmer New Member

9. Ben Masada

Ben Masada New Member