Computer password

Susma Rio Sep

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to install a computer password so that without entering the password one cannot get the computer started on its operating system which for me is W98se.

I have already installed a password to secure the cmos bios access. And I have installed a password for my being a user of W98se; but what I need is one that will prevent people from even getting W98se started.

Thanks in advance.

susma Rio Sep aka Pachomius2000

There's no way to stop Win98 from starting within Win98, if I recall. Your BIOS may have a "Start-up password" setting, though, that will prevent the computer from booting until the password is entered - possibly on the same setup screen that you entered the password for the BIOS - it'll depend on the BIOS and the manufacturer of the motherboard how it's set up.

brucegdc said:
There's no way to stop Win98 from starting within Win98, if I recall. Your BIOS may have a "Start-up password" setting, though, that will prevent the computer from booting until the password is entered - possibly on the same setup screen that you entered the password for the BIOS - it'll depend on the BIOS and the manufacturer of the motherboard how it's set up.
Thanks, Bruce, yes, it's been always there in the bios, aside from the password that will prevent others from accessing the bios itself to mess around with it, there is another selection entry to use that same password for access to the start of the Win98se initiation routine. I found it.

In one bios it is the choice to enable or not supervisor's password. There are other choices for the same effect with other bioses. This is as I said the same password to open up the bios configuration routine, but it is in the present context the gateway for Win98se to start up.

Now my two kids can stick to their own computers instead of intruding into mine when I am out of the house.

Thanks again, Bruce.

Susma Rio Sep aka Pachomius2000

Back