Christianity and Hinduism

Prince

Reaction score
I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong Forum. Please feel free to move my thread to the proper forum, and Thank you.

Founder of Christianity, Jesus Christ is mentioned in most of the world Religions, western and eastern, polytheistic and monotheistic. For example, in Islam, a monotheistic religion, Jesus is mentioned in the holy book "the Quran" as a Prophet. Also in Hinduism, a very popular monotheistic religion, Jesus Christ is also a part of the religion and beliefs of hindus and he is known as one of the different gods in Hinduism.

Comparing Christianity to Hinduism, two relegions that are totally different. Christianity found by Jesus Christ and believing in one and only one God under the trinity of the father, the son and the holy spirit. While Hinduism have no founder and is based on the belief of re-birth...

For those of you who are familiar with world Religions. Gandhi defined Hinduism as a search of truth through nonviolent means. Christianity is also a religion based on non-violence. How do you compare the two, teachings and actions of Jesus Christ regarding non-violence + the life of Gandhi based on whats mentioned above.

Gandhi's worked for non-violence and he Quoted Jesus Christ many times in his speeches to his people. How did Jesus teach against violence? What is similar between the actions of Jesus and his teachings and the life of Gandhi and his accomplishments and use of non-violence. Please make sure to provide proofs from the bible and gandhi's life.

Looking forward for intersting replies.

Prince

Prince,
Your post is intriguing. I'm not sure where you got the idea that:
Also in Hinduism, a very popular monotheistic religion, Jesus Christ is also a part of the religion and beliefs of hindus and he is known as one of the different gods in Hinduism.
As far as I am aware, Hindus, in general, respect and revere Jesus Christ, as they tend to do any person who is considered spritually enlightened. Yes, there are even a few Muslim and Christian shrines in India which some Hindus will visit and pray at, which are known for miracles or prayers being answered. However, I don't know that any Hindu scripture has recognized Jesus Christ as one of its Gods. I may be wrong, as I have not read all the Hindu scriptures yet. Please enlighten me as to where you read this assertion.

I believe the Hare Krishna movements claimed that Jesus Christ is an avatar of Krishna. However, it seems to be a very narrow point of view, and to be honest, it's hard to see where the justification comes from.

I said:
I believe the Hare Krishna movements claimed that Jesus Christ is an avatar of Krishna. However, it seems to be a very narrow point of view, and to be honest, it's hard to see where the justification comes from.
Brian,
Thanks for the information about the Hare Krishna movement contributing Jesus to the already abundant Hindu pantheon of Gods!! :) I wasn't aware of this. I agree with you that their point of view is narrow, as they are not representative of mainstream Hinduism and Hindus.

Maybe this thread should actually be retitled 'Jesus and Gandhi'. Gandhi's political philosophy was not only influenced by Hinduism and Jesus, but by his reading about other religions and interaction with people from different social, cultural and religious backgrounds.

I said:
MMM....sorry for the C&P, (and for reviving such an old thread!)I have to take issue. Brian with all of these similarities (below) I'm surprised more people aren't more open to it....let alone the lingustical simmilarity between the word Christ and Krisna.....just a considence??...maybe but an amazing one....
#6 & 45: Yeshua and Krishna were called both a God and the Son of God.
7: Both was sent from heaven to earth in the form of a man.
8 & 46: Both were called Savior, and the second person of the Trinity.
13, 15, 16 & 23: His adoptive human father was a carpenter.
18: A spirit or ghost was their actual father.
21: Krishna and Jesus were of royal descent.
27 & 28: Both were visited at birth by wise men and shepherds, guided by a star.
30 to 34: Angels in both cases issued a warning that the local dictator planned to kill the baby and had issued a decree for his assassination. The parents fled. Mary and Joseph stayed in Muturea; Krishna's parents stayed in Mathura.
41 & 42: Both Yeshua and Krishna withdrew to the wilderness as adults, and fasted.
56: Both were identified as "the seed of the woman bruising the serpent's head."
58: Jesus was called "the lion of the tribe of Judah." Krishna was called "the lion of the tribe of Saki."
60: Both claimed: "I am the Resurrection."
64: Both referred to themselves having existed before their birth on earth.
66: Both were "without sin."
72: Both were god-men: being considered both human and divine.
76, 77, & 78: They were both considered omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent.
83, 84, & 85: Both performed many miracles, including the healing of disease. One of the first miracles that both performed was to make a leper whole. Each cured "all manner of diseases."
86 & 87: Both cast out indwelling demons, and raised the dead.
101: Both selected disciples to spread his teachings.
109 to 112: Both were meek, and merciful. Both were criticized for associating with sinners.
115: Both encountered a Gentile woman at a well.
121 to 127: Both celebrated a last supper. Both forgave his enemies.
128 to 131: Both descended into Hell, and were resurrected. Many people witnessed their ascensions into heaven.

Namaste Redindica,

I've seen similar lists before....can you tell us where you culled yours from?

What are the numbers? I'd like to look into the numbers that are missing.

Also I know Hinduism has a long oral tradition....can you enlighten us as to what the earliest dates the story of Krishna was written?

peace and blessings

It looks somewhat familiar from a site I've seen Bob X rail against. A cite would be great. :)

wil said:
Namaste Redindica,

I've seen similar lists before....can you tell us where you culled yours from?

What are the numbers? I'd like to look into the numbers that are missing.

Also I know Hinduism has a long oral tradition....can you enlighten us as to what the earliest dates the story of Krishna was written?

peace and blessings
I belive Krisna was born 500 bc there are a lot of Hindus who think it was further back. I think 500 is the excepted time.

You'll find all the numbers on here http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jckr1.htm

I'd be interested to know your views.....being born a Hindu I've always been struck by Jesus similarities to our saviour.....

Peace....:)

I said:
Many thanks for that - I can't knock RT.org. :)

It's an interesting piece beyond the initial claims of similarity, though - quite a good article overall.
No Worries....yes it is a very good site.

I'm baffled that more people do not see the similarities between ALL religions.

Peace :)

Some point to similarities and assume that one must have copied the other...therefor one must be false...

But when my mom found a good cake recipe, and created a cake that was well received by those she intended to influence....she used it again.

There was a website a while back that became somewhat infamous for stretching the similarities of religions - and posting up information that was clearly very contentious. I had suspected that was the source for the list.

redindica said:
I'm baffled that more people do not see the similarities between ALL religions.
The similarities in Revealed Religions are natural. ONE GOD guided the human being wherever they lived. As the problems of the human beings are the same wherever humans live, so shall the messages of guidance from ONE GOD. So ,in origin all Revealed Religions being from the same source are truthful, as of now, the valid question is of the protection and security system of the Revealed Books, which have come down to us, in some cases, after lapse of thousands of years ,and also examining the system of its correct understanding. Non-violence is the essence of teachings of every religion, those who believe in violence or with to convert others by sword or compulsion have not understood their religion correctly.
Thanks

redindica said:
all of these similarities
I'm surprised more people aren't more open to it....let alone the lingustical simmilarity between the word Christ and Krisna.....just a considence??...maybe but an amazing one....
Similarities-Buddha & Jesus
I think those who have liked, points of similarities between Jesus & Krishna, would appreciate similarities between Buddha & Jesus also.
  • Jesus (on whom be peace) calls himself the Light in his teachings, so, Gautama has been named the Buddha, which in Sanskrit means Light.2
  • If Jesus has been called the Master2 in the gospel, so the Buddha has been called Sasta or the Master;
  • if Jesus has been called Blessed in the Gospels, so the Buddha has been named Sugt, i.e., the Blessed.
  • If Jesus has been called Prince, so has the Buddha been called Prince.
  • Jesus has also been described by the Gospels as one who fulfils the object of his coming, so has the Buddha been called in Buddhistic scriptures Siddhartha i.e., one who fulfils the object of his coming.
  • Jesus has also been called by the Gospels the Refuge of the Tired, so has the Buddha in Buddhistic scriptures been called Asarn Sarm, i.e., the refuge of the refugeless.
  • Jesus has also been called by the Gospels King, though he interpreted it as King of the Kingdom of Heaven, so also the Buddha has been called King.
  • Just as Jesus was tempted by the Devil with the riches and kingdoms of the world provided he prostrated himself to him, so was Buddha tempted when the Devil said to him that he would give him the pomp and splendour of kings if he abandoned the severity of his living and returned home.
  • But, just as Jesus did not obey the Devil, so, it is recorded, the Buddha did not obey him. See Buddhism by T. W. Rhys Davids3; and Buddhism by Sir Monier Monier Williams4.
  • Gautama was 35 years old then; he was called the Buddha or the Light and the Tree under which he was sitting at the time came to be known as the Tree of Light. Now, if you open and see the Bible you will find how the Temptation of the Buddha resembles the Temptation of Jesus, so much so, that the Buddha's age was nearly the same at that time as the age of Jesus.
  • As it appears from Buddhist literature, the Devil did not appear to the Buddha in a corporeal visible form. It was a spectacle seen only by the Buddha; the talk of the Devil was an evil inspiration, i.e. the Devil, as he appeared to him, suggested to the Buddha that he (the Buddha) should abandon his course, that he should follow him (the Devil), that the Devil would give him all the wealth of the world. Likewise, the belief of Christian doctors is that the Devil who appeared to Jesus did not come to him in a corporeal form -- he did not come to Jesus as a human being -- before the very eyes of the Jews, traversing the streets and lanes in his physical body and talking to Jesus so as to be audible to those present. On the contrary, the meeting was of the nature of a vision seen only by Jesus; the talk too was of the nature of inspiration, that is, the Devil, as is his wont, put into his heart evil suggestions. But Jesus did not accept, he rejected the Devil's inspiration.
  • The Buddhist priests of that country expected the appearance of the 'Messiah' Buddha. Therefore, for Jesus' titles, as well as some of his moral teachings like Love thine enemy; do not resist evil, and, as had been prophesied by Gautama Buddha, Jesus' fair skin, for all these signs, the priests held him to be the Buddha. It is possible also that some of his titles and teachings and the facts of Jesus' life may, consciously or unconsciously, have been ascribed in that age to the Buddha; for the Hindus have never given proof of much aptitude for recording history.
  • The events of Buddha's life had not been recorded till the time of Jesus. Buddhist priests, therefore, had a great opportunity to ascribe to the Buddha anything they wished to ascribe. So it is likely that when they came to know the facts of Jesus' life and his moral teaching, they mixed these with many other things introduced by themselves and ascribed them to the Buddha.5
Buddhism records that the Buddha during the Temptation was fasting; that the fast lasted for forty days. Readers of the Gospel know that Jesus also observed a forty days' fast.
  • For example, the Gospels say: do not resist evil, love your enemy, live in poverty, shun pride and falsehood and greed. The same is the teaching of the Buddha6. Nay, the Buddhistic teaching lays greater stress on it, so much so that the killing even of ants and insects has been declared a sin.
  • The outstanding principle of Buddhism is: sympathy for the whole world; seeking the welfare of the whole of humanity and of all the animals; promotion of a spirit of unity and mutual love. The same is the gospel teaching.
  • Again, just as Jesus sent his disciples to different countries -- journeying to one himself -- so was the case with the Buddha. Buddhism by Sir Monier Monier Williams records that the Buddha sent out his disciples to preach, addressing them thus: 'Go forth and wander everywhere, out of compassion for the world and for the welfare of gods and men. Go forth, in different directions. Preach the doctrine (Dharham), salutary (Kalayana) in its beginning, middle and end, in its spirit (artha) and in its letter (vyanjana). Proclaim a life of perfect restraint, chastity and celibacy (Drahmacariyam). I will go also to preach this doctrine' (Mahavagga 1.11.1)7.
  • The Buddha went to Benares and performed many miracles in that territory; he delivered an impressive sermon on a hill just as Jesus had delivered his sermon on the mount.
  • Again, the same book states that the Buddha preached mostly in parables; he explained spiritual matters by means of physical analogies. Let it be remembered that this moral teaching and this mode of preaching, i.e., talking in parables, was the method of Jesus. the birth of both being without father8,
  • the moral teaching of both; both calling themselves the Light, both calling themselves Master and their Companions disciples;
  • just as Matthew, chapter 10 verses 8 and 9, states: 'Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,' so the Buddha gave the same command to his disciples;
  • just as the Gospel encourages celibacy, so does the teaching of the Buddha;
  • just as there was an earthquake when Jesus was put on the Cross, so it is recorded, these was an earthquake at the death of the Buddha. Buddha says:
  • As the peasant sows the seed but cannot say: the grain shall swell today, tomorrow germinate, so also it is with the disciple; he must obey the precepts, practise meditation, study the doctrine; he cannot say today or tomorrow I shall be delivered9.
This, it will be noted, is the same parable which has existed in the gospels to this day.
  • The Buddha, again, narrates another parable:
Again as when a herd of deer lives in a forest a man comes who opens for them a false path, and the deer suffer hurt, and another comes who opens a safe path and the deer thrive; so when men live among pleasures the evil one comes and opens the false eightfold path of right belief... (P. Oldenberg, 191-192).
  • The Buddha also taught:
Righteousness is a safe Treasure which no one can steal. It is a Treasure which accompanies man even after death; it is a Treasure which is the Source of all Knowledge and all Perfection.9
Now it will be noticed that the gospel teaching is just the same.
  • Buddha speaks of his irreproachableness in that no one could point to a blot on his character. This too has a resemblance with a saying of Jesus. I agree; nay, I acknowledge; both say: Love not the world; nor wealth; do not hate your enemies; do no evil; conquer evil with good; do to others as you wish to be done by -- all this points to such a striking resemblance between the gospel and the teaching of the Buddha that it is unnecessary to mention any more details.
  • Buddhistic records also show that Gautama Buddha prophesied the advent of a second Buddha who was named Metteyya. This prophecy is contained in Laggawati Sutatta -- a Buddhist record. It is mentioned on page 142 of Oldenberg's book. The prophecy reads10:
He will be the leader of a band of disciples numbering hundreds of thousands, as I am now the leader of bands of disciples, numbering hundreds.
  • It may be noticed here that the Hebrew words, Masiha, is the same as the Pali, Metteyya. It is a matter of common knowledge that when a word is transferred from one language to another it very often undergoes a change: an English word, too, when imported by another language, undergoes a change: for example, Max Muller, in the course of a list given on page 318 of Volume 11 of Sacred Books of the East, says: the th of the English alphabet becomes... in Persian or Arabic... like S. Keeping these changes in view one can readily understand that the word Messiah became Metteyya in the Pali language, which means that the future Metteyya prophesied by the Buddha is in reality the Messiah -- no one else.
  • This finds support in the fact that the Buddha had prophesied that the Faith he had founded would not endure in the world for more than five hundred years; that at the time of the decline of his principles and teachings, the Metteyya would come to this land and would re-establish them in the world. Now we know that Jesus appeared five hundred years after the Buddha, and that just as the Buddha had fixed the limit of time for the decline of his Faith, Buddhism went into a state of decline at the appointed time. Then did Jesus, after his escape from the Cross, travel to this land; and the Buddhists recognised him and treated him with great reverence.
  • It is strange indeed that just as Jesus says, 'I am the Light and the Way', the same is said by the Buddha;
  • just as the Gospels call Jesus the Saviour, the Buddha too calls himself the Saviour (see Lalta Wasattara).
  • In the Gospels it is stated that Jesus had no father, and with regard to the Buddha it is stated that in reality he was born without a father16, although apparently, just as Jesus had a father, Joseph, so had the Buddha a father.
  • It is also stated that a star rose at the time of the Buddha's birth; like at the time of birth of Jesus.
These similarities have been mentioned in Jesus in India in a running text, I have just picked them up for presentation before the members.
Thanks and excuse me.

Thank you Inhumility...you make may point even stronger...look to India all you Abrahamics!!! :)

Peace and only joking!

Red'

Back