prayer positions

ISFP

Reaction score
hey, all

this may well have been done already, sorry.

i attend a few on-campus worship sessions of various faiths, and notice that generally within a group, there are similar ways of sitting, holding one's hands, or carrying one's self during prayer or meditation.

how do you position yourself physically when you pray or meditate? do you sit? walk? stand? does your religious background have any rules or guide lines for what to do with yourself physically when praying?

ISFP said:
hey, all

this may well have been done already, sorry.

i attend a few on-campus worship sessions of various faiths, and notice that generally within a group, there are similar ways of sitting, holding one's hands, or carrying one's self during prayer or meditation.

how do you position yourself physically when you pray or meditate? do you sit? walk? stand? does your religious background have any rules or guide lines for what to do with yourself physically when praying?
walking, when im alone thinking of the deity, in the shower, when im nekkid, when i dont have any material object that bounds me to this earth i sat there and send my thankfullness.
i sense that you are really in search of smthng ISFP, do leave all the beliefs that you have known trust your consciousness believe me there's nothing more powerfull than that, stay away from all earthly people and things for quite a while, go nature. im sure you'll really find what you are looking for, its hidden there somewhere...

best of luck and sincere huggings ))
eray

Namaste ISFP,

thank you for the post.

yes, there are some specific positions which i use during my meditation sessions.

typcially, in the Vajrayana Buddhist tradition, you'll find one of three positions, if you will, that are employed during sitting meditation; half lotus (rather like sitting Indian style), full lotus (left foot on right thigh) and vajra (left foot on right thigh and right foot on left thigh).

there are a few other positions that are well used, particuarly the kneeling position that one frequently finds in Japan using a seiza bench and a normal sitting position in a chair, which is commonly depicted as the method that the next Buddha Maitreya will use.

by and large, there are two positions for the hands.. the traditional meditation mudra, where the right hand rests in the left with the opposing thumbs slightly touching and the teaching mudra, when giving dharma talks.

our walking meditation has no particular form, in a physical sense...

now.. i should say that the point of all these body positions, for us, is to improve the quality of one's meditation. if one could have the same quality meditation without using these postures, then there is no reason to use them. for beings like myself, however, i employ them all :)

another thing to bear in mind is that our teachings are like rafts... they are designed to carry us to the other shore, once we are there, we leave the rafts at the shoreline :)

Persona and Vajradhara, thank you for your replies!

the Quaker prayer position (in meeting houses, at least) has the worshiper seated on a pew, often with eyes closed, and silent. hands are usually held either in the lap (clasped or not-clasped) or palm-up on either leg. the first position represents inward focus, the second receptivity to God or holiness. either one is fine.

but for me the most affecting times to pray or focus is when going for a walk, or writing a letter to someone. just seems to work better, and it lets me "feel" more.

ISFP said:

the Quaker prayer position (in meeting houses, at least) has the worshiper seated on a pew, often with eyes closed, and silent. hands are usually held either in the lap (clasped or not-clasped) or palm-up on either leg. the first position represents inward focus, the second receptivity to God or holiness. either one is fine.

but for me the most affecting times to pray or focus is when going for a walk, or writing a letter to someone. just seems to work better, and it lets me "feel" more.
is there such a strong link between body and soul I dont know really, but i always prefer sitting in lotus when im working. Black office chair > knees both touches the edge of the table, while both feet's achilles' under my a**.

what? i should never smoke and ... work ;)

PersonaNonGrata said:
is there such a strong link between body and soul I dont know really, but i always prefer sitting in lotus when im working. Black office chair > knees both touches the edge of the table, while both feet's achilles' under my a**.

hey Persona-

i wouldn't be surprised at all. studies have linked good posture and the practice of spirituality with increased alertness at work. not just 9-5 work, but any sort of work. i've heard some companies now offer their workers posture and meditation lessons.

whether or not the lessons are covered by company insurance, well, i don't know. ;)

ISFP said:
hey Persona-

i wouldn't be surprised at all. studies have linked good posture and the practice of spirituality with increased alertness at work. not just 9-5 work, but any sort of work. i've heard some companies now offer their workers posture and meditation lessons.

whether or not the lessons are covered by company insurance, well, i don't know. ;)
lol eheheh that made me laugh out really loud ))

hey- :D

for sitting, i tend to sit on the floor or ground, legs crossed, spine not too rigid but not too curling (don't want any scoliosis). i usually pray silently or with prayer beads.

Quakers usually follow meeting house format when praying in small groups, but i don't imagine there are any restrictions on an individual's prayer posture.

how about you, Persona?

Namaste ISFP,

thank you for the post.

ISFP said:

i'm friends with some Friends.. however, we don't get into the specifics all that much. thank you for the information.

i understand, i think ;)

when the discursive intellect is engaged, our wandering thoughts tend to still of their own accord.. we don't have to do anything "actively" to make this happen, other than engage our attention fully.

back when i was much younger.. i used to enjoy running, jogging, if you will. i'd run for miles and miles and it was during those times when i found my consciousness was most intune with suchness... almost as if i were flowing along with the flow of the universe, if that makes much sense.

Vajradhara said:
back when i was much younger.. i used to enjoy running, jogging, if you will. i'd run for miles and miles and it was during those times when i found my consciousness was most intune with suchness... almost as if i were flowing along with the flow of the universe, if that makes much sense.

Vajradhara-

thank you for your reply! i completely agree with you here...sometimes the most fruitful prayer positions we can take are those required by our everyday activities.

thank you Vajra, and peace!

Originally posted by Vajradhara
That is exactly how I am with dance (my personal form of worship except when I'm saying the memorial prayers for my parents)! I'll admit that, for the time being, I'm not exactly practicing (a minor mishap with a kerb. :eek: :rolleyes: ) I haven't tried it at a rave, but I have a feeling the results would be the same.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Sitting by a lake, standing with my hands in the sink doing dishes, walking, folding clothes, looking at a beautiful sunset, these and many, many more are the positions I might be in when I become aware of the Divine and my connection to It. I can be anywhere, doing any activity, or sitting doing nothing and be praying. For me prayer is very informal and doesn't depend on any position or ritual.

:)

Back