Pope Francis says baptism is for all, even Martians

Discussion in 'Science and the Universe' started by Nick the Pilot, May 13, 2014.

1. The Adept

The Adept Well-Known Member

There are no Martians.

Any aliens will have a quite different collection of religions.

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Now that would be interesting eh?

What they came up with....

How many there were...

Or did they never create a god....

or did G!d never talk to them?

of course that discussion would contain as much conjecture and imagination as the ones we have here!!

3. The Adept

It is interesting.
    I presume they would have started with names for the Sun god and sky god, a sex goddess and pastoral pan god of music?

No moon goddess unless their planet had a moon and even then it could orbit as differently as they are.

Images of the gods of the sky, forces of nature and the voice of thunder; idols a plenty and pagan rites. Then the drift got cleaned up by the great teachers, who's religions fell into error such as anti-sex, and so they had to have Adepts come along and re-correct the corrections.

They also get a different zodiac.

Their Adept teaches them that the gods do not exist.!
    'Great is The Adept' they say; 'I see you have one too.'

4. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Interesting to me that we assume any intelligent life elsewhere in the cosmos must a priori create religions. I see no reason to assume that would be a given. And, following from that, no reason to assume they would create Gods.

It would pose a fascinating experience though. Just for the sake of discussion, imagine we meet a space faring civilization and they have Gods. But it turns out their Gods are not our Gods. And their One True God is not the One True God that many Earthlings insist is the Only One True God.

So here we have two intelligent forms of life. Us and them. Our God and Gods are not the same. How would our (and their) religions cope with this I wonder. Well, except for the time honored tradition of simply saying they are wrong just because we say so.

5. BigJoeNobody

BigJoeNobody Professional Argument Attractor

I'd say it would be much more interesting if they had a God, and the message (and maybe even name) coincided with those of a religion here. what would that produce. Imagine a world that when first discovered says: "There is no god but Allah and Mouhammed (PBUH) is his messenger". I don't expect to find new life anytime soon, but that would be a hell of a sign.

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

And if they said that, but told you that the Bahaulla or Haile Selassie or Joseph Smith was his latest messenger?

Would that still be a sign? Or blasphemy?

7. BigJoeNobody

BigJoeNobody Professional Argument Attractor

I think it would be a fairly clear sign... but we are way off in what if land...

8. Devils' Advocate

I don't expect to find intelligent life from another world any time soon either, for better of for worse. But what a fascinating experience it would be if religion was a completely alien (no pun intended) concept to them.

Of course the first thing that would happen is we would start trying to convert them!

9. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

If they came 3000 years ago...say during Ezekial's time....they would be thought to be G!d.

[​IMG]

10. Devils' Advocate

Cue Also sprach Zarathustra!

11. EdgyDolmen

EdgyDolmen Well-Known Member

When I was a child my Grandmother would not sweep anything out of the door after dark so I asked her why. She told me it was bad luck. I said, I had no idea you were superstitious. She replied, "I am not. I just figure it doesn't hurt to wait until morning."

Well if the Pope said that about baptism I reckon I can now pad my odds. I could never answer the questions correctly. Believe I will now get Baptized per the Pope. Couldn't hurt. ;)

12. The Adept

The linguistics would be different and the arbitrary code:

"There is no god but Zodes and Zamdanger is his favoured'
    Face away from the idol of Zodes upon Planet Kasamo.
    Clap three times and bow.
    ?
    or perhaps more like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAMpqjnr-5A

13. The Adept

Early attempts at rationalization of the unexplained forces of nature.

Ancients humans did not look up at the Sun and hear the thunder and say
    'Ball of Fire and electricity...can't wait until we know what electricity is.'

14. Devils' Advocate

Agreed. That is what primitive humans did. That does not mean an alien species would treat the unknown as primitive humans did.

We can not even know what senses an alien species might have developed. What if they developed organs that could 'see' sound waves, for example. Their reaction to external stimuli might be based on completely different criteria.

Which was my point in the beginning. Presumptuous of us to think that an alien species must create religion just because we did.

15. Nick the Pilot

Nick the Pilot Well-Known Member

"When I was a child my Grandmother would not sweep anything out of the door after dark so I asked her why. She told me it was bad luck. I said, I had no idea you were superstitious. She replied, "I am not. I just figure it doesn't hurt to wait until morning."

--> Superstitious people never admit they are superstitious.

16. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

See soundwaves... don't we just call it hearing?

Whether the analogy is correct or not I am not arguing...what I am contemplating is what we do. It is my understanding we don't 'see' or 'hear' anything... we have organs that take in light and sound information transmit it to electronic signals (are we binary?) and then corresponding points in our brain reconnect the signals into ??

17. Devils' Advocate

I agree, Wil, we don't actually see or hear - we just call what we see 'seeing' and what we hear 'hearing'. We can only function if we supply definitions to our perceptions.

That does not mean we can 'see' hearing. We cannot 'see' sound waves. Well not without special mechanical tools anyway.

A being who could see hearing would be looking at sound waves similar to the way we perceive light waves. Their perception of reality through their brain centers would be completely different from our perception.

Heck I'm not sure we even need to leave the planet for potential examples. Creatures that rely on sound waves as their primary form of perception, from bats to dolphins - are they 'hearing' the returning signals of their echo location? Or are their brains wired to form a visual image from the sound patterns that come back to them.

To my knowledge nobody really knows the answer to that question. Though admittedly I have not done any serious research into the subject.

18. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

19. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

20. donnann

donnann Well-Known Member

good for him