What Constitutes Proof of God?

...what would be proof positive that God exists?

I know you are asking the others. But IMO the only proof one can be satisfied with is that which is shown in a very direct, personal way. That's what happened to me. Interestingly though, I got my proof (and it's solid, for me personally) after I converted to Christianity.

I'm going with your first statement, NJ. Can neither be proved nor disproved. Bummer.

no one has to prove it to me, I am on the path and have been for many years and have no doubts that he lives in me the worst of times and the best of times. HE IS MY INNER TEACHER.
madera

If a person's faith/philosophy works for them that is fine, providing they don't force it on others and accept that there are different ways of looking at things. What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Frost and Madera, you're inner beliefs are the way to come to an understanding of God(s). If one believes, no 'proof' is needed. If one does not believe there is no proof available that will convince one to change their opinion.

Thus my statement Madera quoted. God(s) for whatever reason, made sure that there had to be a leap beyond proof to reach them. Why they would do this I do not know.

If one does not believe there is no proof available that will convince one to change their opinion.

Absolutely. It necessarily requires a direct, personal, effectuating experience initiated by God.

Thus my statement Madera quoted. God(s) for whatever reason, made sure that there had to be a leap beyond proof to reach them. Why they would do this I do not know.
Matt 13
10 Then the disciples came and said to him, "Why do you speak to them in parables?" 11 And he answered them, "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given."

It seems clear to me. Grace is a gift. The Father and Son ultimately decide who receives the gift.

Absolutely. It necessarily requires a direct, personal, effectuating experience initiated by God.

Matt 13
10 Then the disciples came and said to him, "Why do you speak to them in parables?" 11 And he answered them, "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given."

It seems clear to me. Grace is a gift. The Father and Son ultimately decide who receives the gift.

In that case they aren't choosy about who receives this so called 'gift', some of the most obnoxious people I have met in my life claimed to be 'spirit filled' Christians!:eek:

In that case they aren't choosy about who receives this so called 'gift', some of the most obnoxious people I have met in my life claimed to be 'spirit filled' Christians!:eek:
And the 'policeman' who knocked at my neighbour's door turned out to be a burglar ...

Quirky we got it. We really, truly, absopositutely got it. You don't think much of Christians. You don't think much of their religion. You don't think much of their God.

I think it is safe to say that you have made this more than abundantly clear.

What's my point?

How about giving us something new? Like how 'bout giving us reasons for your beliefs. Why do you think that people act the way they do? What is it that you perceive about Christianity that makes Christians act the way you say they do?

What does that mean?
It means I don't assume all policemen are bad because there are rotten policeman, or men posing as policemen who are not.

Take Harold Shipman, a doctor who murdered over 250 people ... I'm not calling for the NHS to be dismantled, or saying the Hippocratic Oath is a terrible thing.

It means I don't assume all policemen are bad because there are rotten policeman, or men posing as policemen who are not.

Take Harold Shipman, a doctor who murdered over 250 people ... I'm not calling for the NHS to be dismantled, or saying the Hippocratic Oath is a terrible thing.

I never said ALL Christians are bad, as there are some very good ones too, who aren't judgemental and have a live and let live approach to others.

I never said ALL Christians are bad, as there are some very good ones too, who aren't judgemental and have a live and let live approach to others.
OK. But you are being somewhat judgemental in your 'writing off' the God of Scripture as being 'orrible.

But I think GK has said it: WE GET IT ... You don't have to keep reminding us.

Now .. can we move on to something more constructive?

OK. But you are being somewhat judgemental in your 'writing off' the God of Scripture as being 'orrible.

But I think GK has said it: WE GET IT ... You don't have to keep reminding us.

Now .. can we move on to something more constructive?

The god of the Bible is depicted as an evil entity!

Back