was jesus really?

chucky

Reaction score
Can someone from this forum please answer this post?

[ADMIN EDIT by I, Brian - promo link removed]

Jesus himself refused to be limited by description.
"You, who do you say that I am?" (Mk. 8:29)

One can speculate, imagine, and logically deduce who or what Jesus was, but in so doing, one runs the risk of assuming a certainty that we just don't have. Pinning down the figure of Jesus to something comprehensible to our minds may well make us miss the point--Jesus is the conduit by which God offers us His peace.

So, I've just committed my own comprehension of Jesus to words, haven't I? Impossible not to. We need to have something to wrap our imaginations around, to give a human face to the truth of Jesus' teachings.

And maybe that's why Jesus replied with a question of his own when he was asked who he was. We've got to take the best evidence we have--the combination of Jesus' words as recorded, and the impact of those words on our own hearts--and discover for ourselves the Christ within us.

What shall we say, shall we call it by a name?
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin
Water bright as the sky from which it came
And the name is on the earth that takes it in
We will not speak but stand inside the rain
And listen to the thunder shout
I am, I am, I am, I am
--John Perry Barlow

Chucky,

He is whomever and whatever you want, desire and need him to be.

cosmo

Sorry about that - I missed a spammer. Now dealt with.

Maybe this question is difficult to answer because we spent too much time trying to answer it ourselves, rather than waiting for the answer to be given to us. I know I do.

BluejayWay said:
Jesus himself refused to be limited by description.
"You, who do you say that I am?" (Mk. 8:29)
Here's the version from the Gospel of Thomas:

13 Jesus said to his disciples, "Compare me to something and tell me what I am like."

Simon Peter said to him, "You are like a just messenger."

Matthew said to him, "You are like a wise philosopher."

Thomas said to him, "Teacher, my mouth is utterly unable to say what you are like."

Jesus said, "I am not your teacher. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring that I have tended."

And he took him, and withdrew, and spoke three sayings to him. When Thomas came back to his friends they asked him, "What did Jesus say to you?" Thomas said to them, "If I tell you one of the sayings he spoke to me, you will pick up rocks and stone me, and fire will come from the rocks and devour you."

Back