My First Post : Teaching of Gautam Buddha

Discussion in 'Buddhism' started by gustavobarese, Dec 3, 2014.

1. gustavobarese

gustavobarese New Member

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves."
    The Buddha

2. wil

wil UNeyeR1 Moderator

Namaste and Welcome... a nice first post...

Stephen Covey said, “Seek to understand first, then to be understood.” Easily said, very difficult to do; you must labor to understand the “other” person’s perspective. I say if we seek first to understand, we often lose the need to be understood.

And yes, when you feel anger rising, let it cease. That blood boiling does not allow you to think straight, we'll often say hurtful things we don't mean and block access to value.

Listen to others, understand their perspective, and you will have more peace. Be more concerned with being happy, than being right....lessons I always need.

Looking forward to your future contributions and discussion.

3. Nick the Pilot

Nick the Pilot Well-Known Member

I agree that it is important to not be "hotheads" and to learn how to be calm in the face of anger, foolishness, and extreme selfishness.

But there another side to this. We must also learn to be in touch with our feelings and not always suppress them. Buddha taught that we must follow the middle way. This means that we must avoid being too good. People who always stifle their emotions are headed for trouble.

The key here is to follow the middle path, just like Buddha said.

4. wanderer

wanderer New Member

Rightly said, actions taken in anger are often regretted later, so it is best to
    take a break, reflect on our thoughts and then proceed.
    :)

5. gustavobarese

gustavobarese New Member

Thanx Wil
    Anger is one of the main reason that relate one to other heinous acts.
    I am hoping to learn more from all the members.
    Thnx Nick
    What you said is true. Buddha passed on this teachings for this specific purpose.
    I agree with you Wanderer