Which part of Jesus's life...

brian

Administrator
Veteran Member
Reaction score
If we travel through the Gospels detailing the life of Jesus, which event would you have most liked to have been present at?

Perhaps we should open this up to anytime actually - would you have liked to see Jesus as a child? As a teen?

Whatever your reason - may I ask why?

Is it the miracles you want to see to strengthen faith? Are you looking for the God or the Man?

A starter for discussion. :)

I guess the birth part sticks out for me with being a woman and all. Or maybe its because that first moment of life is so important for anyone. If there were no angels and shepherds and music that would make the whole event somehow specially humbling, as I guess any birth is.

I would like to know what Jesus was like as a teenager and in His early 20's. I've no doubt the miracles would be powerful, and hearing His actual words in full context would be marvelous, but I have evidence of that (besides, it'd probably be way to crowded for me!).

In the second chapter of Luke, it's made clear that Christ knew He was the Son of God when He was 12. That section also contains the last canonical mention of Joseph. What happened in between? How did Jesus reconcile the boy from a hick town with the Saviour? Last fall the Straight Dope Message Board had a rather lively discussion about what Christ was like as a teenager. I'm curious.

I have an understanding of the God aspects of Jesus which is sufficient for me. I also realize Great, All Powerful Deities(tm) are a dime a dozen, cheaper on Sundays (or the sabbath of their choice). What keeps me Christian is that this particular Great, All Powerful Deity(tm) actually took the trouble to live for over 30 years as a full human, complete with, I assume, head colds, muscle aches, crankiness, orneriness, horniness, and having to go to the bathroom at inconvenient times. There's a scene in the movie Dogma where the Voice of God tells the lead character (Mary?) what it was like breaking the news to a teenaged Jesus about what he was going to have to do. It's a rather powerful scene, at least in my opinion. The whole movie's very good in my opinion, because it does present an interesting take on religion. Of course, it was also filmed in my part of the world, so that's another point of bias.

CJ

i'd rather know about his whole life, but if i had to choose just one moment, it would have to be when he decided to become the prophecied messiah.

Indeed, my personal curiousity is for the political realities. The whole period is so volatile that a non-Christian like myself sees other possibilities - that in themselves cannot be substantiated, merely specualted about.

maybe eating mandrake root and tripping out with jesus or drinking wine that was once water are pretty cool times he had and not unlike morden times , but the main question i have is the last super :i would like to be there to see if judus was evil or if like it says in the bible his only true friend

Namaste all,

hmm... interesting question..

i suppose... that i would like to be able to travel with him into the desert after his baptism by John when the Holy Spirit decended unto Him.

i'm very interested in what he did during those days... did he do walking meditation or sitting meditation or....?????

Assuming there was a historical Jesus, I would have liked to have been there at his ascension.

Isaiah 6:1-13 In the year of King Uzziah’s death, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. 2 Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings; with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one called out to another and said, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory.” 4 And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke. 5 Then I said, “Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.”

or the,
transfiguration,

The story of the miraculous transfiguration of Jesus at the top of a mountain in the presence his three closest apostles with Israel's two most important prophets, Moses and Elijah.

I would like to have seen Jesus and his interactions with Mary Magdalene.

Why? Because I want to know whether they were close; where she ranked among the disciples; how Jesus treated women, let alone female disciples; what Jesus was like in his private life.

I would like to have seen what he looked like. Because it says He had no form nor comeliness or any reason to attract us by his looks. I don't believe He looks anything like the pictures because those look more like Zeus or Jupiter. Also in the Hiram Key, they claim to have come across an old Roman wanted poster and he was short with a slight huncback.Which I don't know if he did, but it fits more with scripture. I don't believe he was a divine being, but a man. Or He couldn't have been tempted. I would like to find out if he lived His whole life without sin (1 John 3:4) or if it was just from a certain age of accountability.

brian said:
If we travel through the Gospels detailing the life of Jesus, which event would you have most liked to have been present at?

Perhaps we should open this up to anytime actually - would you have liked to see Jesus as a child? As a teen?

Is it the miracles you want to see to strengthen faith? Are you looking for the God or the Man?

A starter for discussion. :)

I would have like to have been at one of those meals where he was having discussions with the Pharisees. It would have been interesting just to sit and listen.

I would like to have seen how Jesus behaved towards the children. I do not know why, other than it would signify something important to myself, without being able to communicate precisely what I mean within the frame of words.
I would also have liked to have been present at the birth. Somehow the Luke account is not as comforting as a plain born babe in a plain born place with a plain born announcement through the lips of Mary and Joseph. I find Jesus more accessible the more mere human he is.

What event in Jesus life I would like to see.

brian said:

My response:

To me the most important event in Jesus' life would be hearing His teachings known as the "Sermon on the Mount"... to me these teachings are the essence of His message and represent one of the greatest challenges to mankind.

- Art

I said:
Good reply - and welcome to CR, arthra. :)

Brian,

Thanks for the welcome and I like the way this Forum is set up and will look forward to learning from others here!

I've also commended the Forum to my friends to visit here...

- Art

p.s., I've added an attachment which in Arabic means "Allah'u'Abha" which means "God is Glorious" which is the Baha'i greeting and salutation.

No problem - and feel free to use your signature link privilege to add your own personalised message with every post.

The signature feature can be found in the "USER CP" here:

Images are not permitted in signatures, but your very welcome to use text and links in it.

:)

What would you like to ask Jesus ?

Wow is this a difficult one!

What really gives me the biggest buzz was when he got the better of the religious hypocrites with some amazing statements that surely no carpenter let alone rocket scientist could have uttered - render to Caesar the things that a Caesar's and to God the things that are God's, let him who is without sin cast the first stone, you whitewash the outside but inside you are full of dead men's bones, I could go on and on.

But lets not turn back time, as it doesn't exist anyway, I look forward to seeing him soon.

Perhaps I could be so bold as to pose and secondary question:

What would you like to ask Jesus when you meet him in paradise/heaven

My question is: "Why did you die for me?"

I would have liked to have been there, with full knowledge of previous events, the day he showed himself resurrected.

Kindest Regards, El Grecko, and welcome to CR!

"What would you like to ask Jesus when you meet him in paradise/heaven (?)"

Have I been a good and faithful servant?

Back