World Bank and religious groups draft statement on ending poverty

arthra

Baha'i
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — A group of diverse religious leaders has issued a statement giving strong support and "moral consensus" to a World Bank-initiated effort to end extreme poverty in 15 years.

The statement, "Ending Extreme Poverty: A Moral and Spiritual Imperative", was released today at a media teleconference featuring World Bank President Jim Young Kim and representatives of the religious groups which drafted it, including Bani Dugal, the Principle Representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations.

"Ending extreme poverty will require a comprehensive approach that tackles its root causes – including preventable illness, a lack of access to quality education, joblessness, corruption, violent conflicts, and discrimination against women, ethnic minorities and other groups," said the statement, whose authors included representatives of the Baha'i, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim, and Sikh faiths.

"It will also call for a change in the habits that cause poverty – greed and hedonism, numbness to the pain of others, exploitation of people and the natural world," said the statement.

Read more at

Religious leaders and World Bank commit to ending extreme poverty - Bahá'í World News Service

A noble cause if ever I saw one. It will be an uphill battle; more like an up Everest battle. We live in an age where there is a new World Order of Royalty. It doesn't matter your race, creed, religion, country. The ONLY requirement to join is that you be rich. The more rich you are, the higher up in the royalty you are.

These people believe (or conveniently chose to believe) that they are the Chosen Ones. The ones that matter. And no amount of wealth is ever enough. One can always be more wealthy.

Giving wealth away for the benefit of the nonworthys is beyond their comprehension. Why waste it on the masses who aren't worthy? This is the ingrained belief amongst the powerful that will go to any length to stop any redistribution of wealth. Sad. But there it is.

And the worst thing is, the gap between the rich and poor keeps on increasing. This gap of money may raise other problems in the future.

Back