The "Dreamtime" in a Nutshell

Adam and Eve are the archetypes of first humans. You take the Bible literally but it is a mistake IMHO.
Many biblical literalists consider Adam to be the first man, but if you actually read what's written, human life existed prior to Adam and Eve and that aligns with Aboriginal beliefs. See post #5.

my friend, that is my point! I read what's written then I take it with a healthy dose of skepticism.

So what's the latest on the budding romance?
A couple weeks ago he came clean to his mom and me and brought his gal to dinner. He was scared to death when he announced his intentions, but he sucked it up and spoke his mind. Even my less than open minded uncles were impressed. You should have seen his face though when we told him we knew all along!

A couple weeks ago he came clean to his mom and me and brought his gal to dinner. He was scared to death when he announced his intentions, but he sucked it up and spoke his mind.
Well good for him. I'm glad everything worked out. Have you met the girl's parents yet?
You should have seen his face though when we told him we knew all along!
You do enjoy tormenting that little guy.

Have you met the girl's parents yet?
I have. Nice people too. They run a little tourist shop just outside town. Their daughter is an only child which is quite unusual in Aboriginal culture. Equally unusual, both parents are high school graduates.
You do enjoy tormenting that little guy.
It's been quite a while since you've seen that, "little guy" he's taller than both of us now.

I have. Nice people too. They run a little tourist shop just outside town. Their daughter is an only child which is quite unusual in Aboriginal culture. Equally unusual, both parents are high school graduates.
Well I'll be. Is that one of those shops where you can buy authentic Aboriginal artwork made in China? I didn't realize finishing school was such a rarity among Aborigines.
It's been quite a while since you've seen that, "little guy" he's taller than both of us now.
Wow! You're right. I'm still picturing that mischievous little kid.

Well I'll be. Is that one of those shops where you can buy authentic Aboriginal artwork made in China? I didn't realize finishing school was such a rarity among Aborigines.
Their shop has mostly handcrafted things. Nothing like the crap you find at the duty free. Formal education is not a priority among most Aboriginals. As modern society is forced upon them though, more and more are attending. That's a good thing I suppose, but the pitfalls of modern society are on the increase as well. Alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse.

As modern society is forced upon them though, more and more are attending. That's a good thing I suppose, but the pitfalls of modern society are on the increase as well. Alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse.
I guess it's inevitable. I've watched the same thing happen in Fiji over these many years. Such a shame.

Last edited:
Their shop has mostly handcrafted things. Nothing like the crap you find at the duty free. Formal education is not a priority among most Aboriginals. As modern society is forced upon them though, more and more are attending. That's a good thing I suppose, but the pitfalls of modern society are on the increase as well. Alcoholism, domestic violence and drug abuse.

Sounds like the same sh!t happening with the Native Americans/First Nations here in the Western Hemisphere (I'm including those in South America as well as North America even though I'm not sure if I have the facts "in the first place"/at all.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

In the dreamtime story, The Time Before There Was, there was only God in a universe without form. Nanna Gymea likens it to a flat piece of paper, explaining how the planets and the stars could only be seen from above and below. Viewed sideways they were virtually invisible. Suddenly and without warning the corners of the page came together forming a ball.

Simultaneously, all was revealed for the first time, but only from inside the ball. God, who remained outside the ball, could not be seen. That's when a great plan was devised for God to enter the ball and life as we know it began.

I try to distance myself from stereotyping ancient cultures in recently colonised lands as being privy to special wisdom, that is just colonialism in a roundabout way [edit: l mean, it is patronising when a trust fund brat does this, not that anybody here is like that, l'm just saying] but I really think Nanna Gymea is right about this and it concurs with modern physics. Too much to write about here so l'll say no more but yeah! This was probably the best thing l've read on this forum so far.

Last edited:
Many biblical literalists consider Adam to be the first man, but if you actually read what's written, human life existed prior to Adam and Eve and that aligns with Aboriginal beliefs. See post #5.

From a Baha'i point of view, Adam was the Spiritual awakening of man, it is a metaphor about the human condition in relation to the spiritual reality.

I have a poem written from my experience with an elder aboriginal and his struggle with the materialism that was permeating the younger generations.

Biography - Rolly (Mpunywithal) Gilbert - Australian Dictionary of Biography

He was a wonderful aboriginal elder who became a Baha'i just prior to passing away, he gave my eldest son a tribal name which meant Pelican (He used to smile and say my son had a big mouth as he was always talking, they had a special bond)

In Memory of Grandad "Rolly Gilbert"

Dreamtime Part 1 (A poem in 3 parts)

Old man Elder, sitting by the fire, drinking billy tea,
reflecting on bygone years and His Races history.
There's a lump in His throat and tears in His eyes,
as He gazes through the fire, knowing of His Cultures demise.

Young men sitting by the fire, drinking alcohol,
minds poisoned by drink, no longer able to be told.

Old Man Elder, His heart begins to tear,
unable to tell those men of His great despair.

The tongues of flame leap high, the fire crackles,
Old Man tilts His head to the ground weary of the battle.
When will these men turn back to their Lord
and give up drink of their own accord?

Old Man Jumps to His feet,
while their is life in Him, He won't be beat.
He starts dancing stories of the Dreamtime,
His feet pound the dusty soil, His voice echos in rhyme.

Young men in awe, drop their alcohol,
witnessing the power of the dance and the story being told.
They rise, slowly to their feet,
joining the Old Man and adding to the beat.
Old Man Elder smiles, with wisdom in His eyes,
He knows they stand a chance, while the Culture is alive.

Sun slowly rising like a flame across the sky,
It's up to the young men now, if the culture is not to die.

Old Man Elder and young men sitting by the fire drinking billy tea,
they've come of age. learning about their Culture and History.

A Bristow-Stagg B.E. 148 (1991)

Dreamtime Part 2

Old Man Elder has passed away,
no longer able to have His say.

Dreamtime fades, nearly forgotten,
Old Mans Spirit makes memories begotten.

If there is a chance, though small,
may the race awake and so not fall.

Young men arise, time is nigh,
help Old Man Elder's Spirit fly,
remember the stories told by dance,
passed down by generations, not by chance.

The Culture is written upon your hearts,
only shrouded by the recent past,
written upon the stones and earth,
well before your time of birth.

Culture revival is already planned,
if not by yours a Mightier Hand.
Old Man Elder may have passed away,
but His Spirit still will have Its say.

A Bristow-Stagg BE 154 (1997)

Dreamtime Part 3 The Final Say

The years vanish into the past,
memories of Old Man Elder did not last.

Sitting by the fire, memories reflecting,
dwelling on an ancient cultures neglecting,
are the young men growing old and grey,
wishing they'ed done it in their day.

Stories nearly lost, Dreamtime fading away
culture no longer on display,
Hope! not all is gone,
greying men move on.

Filled with memories of Old Man Elders Dreams
spurred on by His Spirit, or so it seams,
they arise to their feet
and once again dance the beat.

Hopefully the story now will end,
on the future generations we now depend,
to connect with the Spirit and with no surprise,
Old Mans Memories and Culture will have survived.

A Bristow-Stagg B.E. 155 (1998)

Regards Tony

Back