Children of Abraham

Gunner

Reaction score
Hi, i am currently writting a scolarly paper, and i've been searching through the Qu'ran, for quite sometime, for any quotes about Muslims being the true children of Abraham, and claims of fallacies (or misinterpretations) within the other 2 monothestic texts, and belief. Anyone got anything?

Hi Gunner, and welcome to CR. :)

As for claims of being "the true children of Abraham" - have you looked much at the subject iof Ishmael and Hagar?

As for claims of fallacies and misinterpretations within the other texts - I'll make a point now that I don't encourage links posted to anti-Christian and anti-Jewish sites, (or anti-Muslim sites either, for that matter) which do exist in unfortunate number - but any relevant quotes from the Quran or Hadith on the issue would be most welcome. :)

Gunner said:
Hi, i am currently writting a scolarly paper, and i've been searching through the Qu'ran, for quite sometime, for any quotes about Muslims being the true children of Abraham, and claims of fallacies (or misinterpretations) within the other 2 monothestic texts, and belief. Anyone got anything?
Salaam for all.

In the Noble Quraan Allah Almighty explain the story of Abraham and Isma'il (Peace upon them ) in Macca , part of this story when he said :

2:124 “And remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain commands, which he fulfilled: He said: "I will make thee an Imam to the Nations." He pleaded: "And also (Imams) from my offspring!" He answered: "But My Promise is not within the reach of evil-doers."

2:125 “Remember We made the House a place of assembly for men and a place of safety; and take ye the station of Abraham as a place of prayer; and We covenanted with Abraham and Isma'il, that they should sanctify My House for those who compass it round, or use it as a retreat, or bow, or prostrate themselves (therein in prayer).”

2:126 “And remember Abraham said: "My Lord, make this a City of Peace, and feed its people with fruits,-such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day." He said: "(Yea), and such as reject Faith,-for a while will I grant them their pleasure, but will soon drive them to the torment of Fire,- an evil destination (indeed)!" .

2:127 “And remember Abraham and Isma'il raised the foundations of the House (With this prayer): "Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us: For Thou art the All-Hearing, the All-knowing.” .

2:128 “Our Lord! make of us Muslims, bowing to Thy (Will), and of our progeny a people Muslim, bowing to Thy (will); and show us our place for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.”.

2:129 “Our Lord! send amongst them a Messenger of their own, who shall rehearse Thy Signs to them and instruct them in scripture and wisdom, and sanctify them: For Thou art the Exalted in Might, the Wise." .

2:130 “And who turns away from the religion of Abraham but such as debase their souls with folly? Him We chose and rendered pure in this world: And he will be in the Hereafter in the ranks of the Righteous”.

2:131 “Behold! his Lord said to him: "Bow (thy will to Me):" He said: "I bow (my will) to the Lord and Cherisher of the Universe."

2:132 “And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons, and so did Jacob; "Oh my sons! Allah hath chosen the Faith for you; then die not except in the Faith of Islam."

• Deuteronomy 33: 1-4
This is the blessing that Moses the man of God pronounced on the Israelites before his death. He said:
"The LORD came from Sinai and dawned over them from Seir, he shone forth from Mount Paran. He came with myriads of holy ones from the South, from the mountain slopes. Surely it is you who love the people; all the holy ones are in your hand. At your feet they all bow down, and from you receive instruction, the law that Moses gave us, the possession of the assembly of Jacob.

This verse refers to the fact that the word of God was received first from the Sinai, the place where the Prophet Moses spoke to God. Seir is a place in Palestine where the Prophet Jesus received divine revelation. Lastly, God delivered his word in the final form from the mountains of Paran (near Mecca in Arabia) where Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon them all) received Divine guidance. Muhammad was known for his compassionate and trustworthy nature, and received his first revelation in the mountains of Paran. Afterwards later in the Islamic movement, he migrated from the South of Arabia in Mecca with a lot of his holy companions North towards the city of Yathrib. Muslims are the only community in the world who regularly bow down to their Lord in prayer.

· Prophet Muhammad traces direct lineage from Ishmael, the son of Abraham through Hagar, and the brother of Isaac. Genesis 21 tells of his story where God says to Abraham:

"I will make the son of the maidservant into a nation also, because he is your offspring."

and further when Hagar put the thirsty and crying Ishmael down on the ground:

"God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation."

Further, we know from the next passages that the boy was living in Paran where all of this happened:

"While he was living in the desert of Paran, his mother got a wife for him from Egypt."

The only 'great nation' to come out from the desert of Paran is the Islamic one.

God produced a well of water to quench the thirst of Hagar and his son. This well is still present in Mecca and is known as the well of Zamzam. The miracle of this well is that no matter how dry the season is, it has never stopped flowing for hundreds of years, and also provides thirst quenching sustenance to thousands of pilgrims to Mecca every year. For more information about the true location of Paran and of Mount Sinai, refer to this website, and to this one.

· Deuteronomy 18: 17
The LORD said to me: "What they say is good. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account."

Prophet Muhammad came from the linage of the 'brothers' of the Israelites, the Ishmaelites. The Koran that was revealed to him, and dictated through him to the people, is the direct word of God addressed to humanity. It reads in the context of God addressing humanity as well. This verse does not refer to Jesus as according to the Christians because it refers to a Prophet like Moses, and further in the bible, it says:

Deuteronomy 34: 10
Since then, no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face, who did all those miraculous signs and wonders the LORD sent him to do in Egypt -- to Pharaoh and to his officials and to his whole land.

Which states the fact that the prophet is not an Israelite and therefore Jesus is not this prophet that is being foretold since he was an Israelite. Muhammad is a prophet who has similarities in many ways to Moses: He knew God face to face when he went on his ascension to heaven (the Meraj), his biggest miracle was the Koran and the Arab people accused him of being a wicked magician like they did to Moses, Moses and Muhammad were both driven out of their lands only to return back years later as the religious and secular leaders.

Thanks to all

I said:
Hi Gunner, and welcome to CR. :)

As for claims of being "the true children of Abraham" - have you looked much at the subject iof Ishmael and Hagar?

As for claims of fallacies and misinterpretations within the other texts - I'll make a point now that I don't encourage links posted to anti-Christian and anti-Jewish sites, (or anti-Muslim sites either, for that matter) which do exist in unfortunate number - but any relevant quotes from the Quran or Hadith on the issue would be most welcome. :)
Salaam for all ,

I think we have evidances both from your's holy book and from our holy book Quraan , one of the related verses is the following verse ( In Surat Al Hajj # 22) .

22:78 "And strive in His cause as ye ought to strive, (with sincerity and under discipline). He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Messenger may be a witness for you, and ye be witnesses for mankind! So establish regular Prayer, give regular Charity, and hold fast to Allah! He is your Protector - the Best to protect and the Best to help! "
Peace to all

Gunner said:
Hi Gunner,

I think it is hard to answer your question because it asks for who is the TRUE child of Abraham. To me, Ishmael is just as much a child of Abraham as Isaac. The only difference being their mothers (Ishmael from Hagar and Isaac from Sarah). So your question doesn't really make sense to me.

However, if you were to ask me who I believed God's covenant with Abraham was passed onto, it was Isaac and not Ishmael. The covenant is perpetuated only through Isaac and NOT Ishmael:

Genesis 17:19-21:
19 Then God said, Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.
20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation.
21 But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year.

Also, the land was promised to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and not to Ishmael:

Genesis 50:24:
24 Then Joseph said to his brothers, "I am about to die. But God will surely come to your aid and take you up out of this land to the land he promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."

Salaam
This is a very important subject which need more investigations , as many claimed that the covenant of God's with Abraham was passed Isaac and not Ishmael.but the question is what does prevent the reality that Allah give his covenant to both side?, because both of them sons of Abraham .

Gunner said:
H|,
Ishmael and Isaac (peace be upon them both) are both the children of Abraham (pbuh). Both were given thier covenants. We believe in all the messengers. Some relevant verses from the Qur'an:
3:65. Ye People of the Book! Why dispute ye about Abraham, when the Law and the Gospel Were not revealed Till after him? Have ye no understanding?
3:66. Ah! Ye are those who fell to disputing (Even) in matters of which ye had some knowledge! but why dispute ye in matters of which ye have no knowledge? It is Allah Who knows, and ye who know not!
3:67. Abraham was not a Jew nor yet a Christian; but he was true in Faith, and bowed his will to Allah's (Which is Islam), and he joined not gods with Allah.
3:68. Without doubt, among men, the nearest of kin to Abraham, are those who follow him, as are also this Prophet and those who believe: And Allah is the Protector of those who have faith.
3:84. Say: "We believe in Allah, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Isma'il [ishmael], Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from their Lord: We make no distinction between one and another among them, and to Allah do we bow our will (in Islam)."
4:163. We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms.
Yusuf Ali's Quran Translation was used in the above verses.
There are many other similar verses.
Hope this helps.
And Allah knows best.

Tishrei,
God can do anything He pleases to do. If He chose to continue the convenant with Isaac and not Ishmael, does not mean that Ishmael did not choose to believe in The God.

According to the Holy Scripture Bible, in Galatians 4:24 there are two existing covenants:

"These things stand as a symbolic drama for these women mean two convenants, the one from Mount Si'nai which brings forth children for slavery and which is Ha'gar."

Muslims refer to themselves as slaves of God.

Back