Crows as clever as apes?

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Interesting article from National Geographic, erporting on a study to be published in Science magazine:

Crows as Clever as Great Apes, Study Says

They say that, while having very different brain structures, both crows and primates use a combination of mental tools, including imagination and the anticipation of possible future events, to solve similar problems. They base their argument on existing studies.

Emery and Clayton write, "These studies have found that some corvids are not only superior in intelligence to birds of other avian species (perhaps with the exception of some parrots), but also rival many nonhuman primates." Increasingly, scientists agree that it isn't physical need that makes animal smart, but social necessity. Group living tends to be a complicated business, so for individuals to prosper they need to understand exactly what's going on. So highly social creatures like dolphins, chimps, and humans tend to be large-brained and intelligent.

"These studies have found that some corvids are not only superior in intelligence to birds of other avian species (perhaps with the exception of some parrots), but also rival many nonhuman primates."
LOL ! I can agree with the first part, but not on the second one.:)

those crows sure are some clever creatures... to be sure.

heck... we were playing a little game of chess just the other day and they managed to check-mate me in 8 moves. stupid crows.... next match, i'm going to employ a different defense and see how they like that.

:D

Back