Your thoughts on Zoroastriaism?

Postmaster

Reaction score
I had this religion in the back of my mind and it wasn't until I was researching Alexander the Great that opened my eyes. What draws me to it, are the similarities of Zoroastrianism to Christianity and as I'm a practicing Christian it amazes me of this earlier religion that Christianity got some or even a lot of its influence off. However, this doesn't in anyway put me off, it actually goes to show how there is universal truth in religion. What are your thoughts on Zoroastrianism? Just say anything on your mind about it, would love to be filled in.

I can only agree with you.
Many of the roots of Christianity can be found in Zoroastrianism...
so can reference be made to ancient Egyptian religion with the worship of Aton...
and there are other influences at work outside of the so-called 'prophets'.

I think, just as a quick comment to start us off, that there is little in Christianity that doesn't find possible sources in older religions... especially in the Middle East.

What this says about Christianity is up for discussion and debate, I think, as you suggest, but it could be far-reaching.

It seems to me that Zoroasterism had a lot of influence, not just on early Christianity, but on Islam and even Judaism. From what I've read, before it came along, it seems there was an attitude that "other people have their gods" and that those are just "different names of forms for our god/s". In other words, it seems things were more tolerant.

But Zoroasterism was somewhat unique in its time for thinking itself the "one true" religion and all others as false religions - the "our way or the highway" approach. It seems that Zoroasterism lent this trait directly into Christianity and Islam.

When one considers that religions before Zoroasterism were more inclusive, that Eastern religions unaffected by Zoroasterism also tend to be inclusive, and that new age religions cropping up today tend to be more inclusive, then it seems that this is actually the norm or "typical" course of religious development.

So, the idea that religions are generally intolerant of others, or view them as wrong while they are the "one true" path, may actually be an unusual anomaly in religion. It could be that the opposite impression only seems true to so many because this one root religion had such an influence on two that would turn out to be so major later on.

Dear PM

Everything evolves out of something else, be it religion, science, politics, medicine, philosophy. There are some excellent points made above. Very little is unique because the basic truths are the same from my view.

Blessings in abundance

Sacredstar

Zoroastrianism merged with Judaism, influencing the Jewish religion
friend, i think you should moderate your language. this is not a fact, but an assertion. it actually sounds like you're just repeating something you've heard somewhere (and not somewhere very fond of judaism, either). i'm not aware of much evidence of zoroastrian influence per se on judaism. obviously the jews in babylon were living in a society influenced by zoroastrianism, but as far as we are concerned - and based upon our documents from that time (the gemara and midrashim) all the impact there really was came in the fields of popular superstition; in fact, it was zoroastrianism as the jahiliyya of the context that provided much of the material for texts on idolatry, from our PoV. in the gemara they are generally the people being referred to as "chaldeans" (kasdim), "fire-worshippers" and "worshippers of stars and the zodiac" (ovdei kokhavim u'mazalot). nowhere, as far as i am aware, are they actually influencing either jewish belief or practice in any meaningful way.

b'shalom

bananabrain

i really don't know much about Zoroastrianism, but i'm truly impressed that it's still around at all. most of the books on comparative religion i read don't even give a mention!

there seems to be some debate as to how influential Zoroastrianism was on later monotheistic faiths... but many of the beliefs, especially concerning a messiah figure and a judgement day (when the dead will be raised and judged) seem to have definately influenced later faiths.

why the controversy?

>>why the controversy?

I echo this question.

Where was it stated that Z... merged with Jud... ?

DrewJMore said:
>>why the controversy?

I echo this question.

Where was it stated that Z... merged with Jud... ?

In the portion of Friends post that was removed.

The religious system founded by Zoroaster was set down in the Avesta. It taught the worship of Ahura Mazda in the context of a universal struggle between the forces of light and of darkness. It was influential in promoting a monotheistic concept.
As such it is generally considered to have influenced development of Judaism, Islam and early Christianity.

Brian also has this in our archives here:

zoroastrianism

Founded around 1000 BC by Zoroaster (aka: Zoroastra, Zarathrusta, Zarathrushtra), his philosophical and moral teachings – concerning the endless war between good and evil - are preserved in his Gathas, or 'hymns', written in Avestan, a sister language to Sanskrit. Zoroastrianism was once the faith of the Persian empire, but today it is the smallest major religion in the worl, its followers mainly living in northeastern India and Iran.

The Gathas

Zoroastrianism was founded around 1200 BC by Zoroaster (Zarathrusta), his philosophical and moral teachings – concerning the endless war between good and evil - are preserved in his Gathas, or 'hymns', written in Avestan, a sister language to Sanskrit. Zoroastrianism was once the faith of the Persian empire, but today it is the smallest major religion in the world, its followers mainly living in northeastern India and Iran.

It is of note that the Jewish Scriptures refer to Cyrus, probably a follower of the Zarathushtrian creed, as Messiah. The Christian Scriptures depict wise men from the East, commonly thought of as Magi, giving tribute to the young Christ-child. The Quran recognizes the Magus as People of the Book and many Muslims(not all..) consider Zarathushtra as one of the Prophets preceding Muhammed. The close ties between Zarathushtrianism and the Vedic traditions must also be noted. Ancient Zend Avestan laguage is very close to Sanskrit.

Back