Human evolution according to Buddhists

Ryuuko

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This has probably been discussed in previous threads, and if it has, I apologize for this double posting, but I have been unable to find any threads relating to this question directly.

What does Buddhist dhamma say about the evolution of humans on this earth? Christianity has the story of Adam and Eve, but how do Buddhists view evolution? In other words, what would be the story of evolution, starting from the ape to homo sapiens sapiens, as we are today, and where did the soul come into play?

Namaste Ryuuko,

thank you for the post.

Buddhism, in general, has no particular issues with the ToE as it is currently understood. i would go further to say that, depending on one's view, evolution is part and parcel of Buddhist lingua franca.

the Buddhist understanding of the origin of the universe is that no beginning can be found when searched for, as our modern scientific observations tend to affirm.

sentient beings, not just humans, evolved from pure states of consciousness. now, we should understand that it is the laymans view that "evolution" means to progress from a lower to a higher form. the scientific understand doesn't posit it in this type of linear fashion.

remember.. there is no soul in Buddhism, so this is never really an issue :) we are stricly focused on consciousness, its' nature and how it works.

Thank you Vajradhara,

Can you explain how consciousness can materialize itself? In other words, does the consciousness of a frog "know" that it is fully realized and therefore passes on as another life form? If so, how does it do that? Perhaps I have it all wrong, but please let me know either way. :D

Also, if our consciousness has no beginning nor end, is there any explanation in the Dhamma about our reason for existence on this earth? The story of Adam and Eve, for example, explains that we are on this earth since we have fallen from grace.

Namasté,

Ryuuko

Namaste Ryuuko,

thank you for the post.

sentient animals are different in their capacity than humans are. the consciousness does not, typically, chose to be reborn, this is a working of karma that causes the being to arise in the next life.

this can be different for Awakened beings, such as Arhants, Bodhisattvas and Buddhas.

a "reason for existence" implies a purpose and, depending on one's view, also implies a being to impart such purpose.

from the Buddhist point of view, despite what you may have heard, the human rebirth is, in fact, the most excellent rebirth that a sentient being can have. it is in this form that we are endowed with a life of leisure and stress. the stress allows us to realize Dukkha and the leisure allows us the opportunity to practice the Dharma/Dhamma.

the other rebirths are not like this. take animals for instance. they do not have a life of leisure to practice the teachings, however, by being exposed to the Dharma the consciousness that is the animal can take a higher rebirth.

though... we are speaking generally here and being a bit loose with some of the ideas.

now... i suppose if we were to try to determine a specific purpose for humans, that would be a bit different than determining a specific reason for life, itself.

the interested reader is directed to this site for more information on Buddhist cosmology:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/loka.html

Thank you Vajradhara,

How can one expose the consciousness that is the animal to Dharma?

hmm... what i mean to say is that they are not in possession of an opportunity to practice, not that their consciousness cannot experience the Dharma.

generally speaking, a Buddhist with pets, would recite mantras and so forth whilst the pet is near so that the animals consciousness would be able to hear the Dharma.

it's actually a bit strange to talk about it with some folks since they often get confused by words and end up taking the words as the meaning, if you know what i mean.

for instance, we consider circumambulation to be a practice that carries merit, which is quite useful for beings that cannot generate any of their own. thus, you could circumambulate with a pet to help that consciousness attain a human rebirth.

which... and i hope that i've made this clear... is what we Buddhists consider to be the best rebirth.

there is, it seems, a great misunderstanding that sees Buddhism as negative due to how they misunderstand the Buddhist teachings Samsara and Sunyata and that, further, we think that human life is "miserable".

this is manifestly not so :)

Thank you Vajradhara,

Yes, your point is well taken--human rebirth is definitely the best rebirth. I believe that to be true, since our consciousness is naturally in a state to better help others and show compassion towards them. I know this is a bit off topic, but could human, through extremely bad karma, possibly be reborn as an animal, or is that impossible according to the karmic laws?

I personally don't believe that Buddhists see human life as "miserable", but I've had a friend that did. She told me she had been Buddhist once and that all life was suffering. Buddhism, to me, teaches that there is unfortunately suffering in life, but Buddhism teaches the path to cope with the suffering. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thank you for your time Vajradhara!

Namaste Ryuuko,

thank you for the post.

oh yes, there are only a few situations where a particular consciousness cannot move into a lower rebirth...however, for the most, part, yes... it can go from human to animal to hell realm to heavenly relam and back to human again :)

i've been working on a piece for an unrelated project... something for my own edification. basically, a listing of the various rebirths and the actions taken to provide the conditions for said rebirth to happen... it's in a table format...

i'll see what i can do to post it here... personally, i find that lists and tables help me keep track of certain things :)

..Sorry But I still could not figure out....
Ok here is my Question...

In say christanity, Jewism,islam ..... Man Origin is ADAM and EVE...
that they are the children of ADAM and EVE....
So what the origin of Man in Budhist philosphy.....??

aquaris said:
..Sorry But I still could not figure out....
Ok here is my Question...

In say christanity, Jewism,islam ..... Man Origin is ADAM and EVE...
that they are the children of ADAM and EVE....
So what the origin of Man in Budhist philosphy.....??
Namaste Aquaris,

thank you for the post.

the most simple answer to your question is that Buddhism says that if you look, you cannot find a beginning. thus, from our view, there is no "beginning" of man, per se.

regarding the arising of consciousness in these physical forms that we call humans, there is a process by which conciousness arises in these physical forms. this does get into some very esoteric aspects of Buddhist metaphysics which, and i apologize, that i've not taken much time to explain.

Back