Origins of Universal Salvation

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Ahanu, May 7, 2019.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

That bad, My God, I've got nontrinitarians living next door! Actually, I've got 'em under my roof!

Cino likes this.
  2. Ahanu

Ahanu Well-Known Member

Philo supported annihilation too. It is certainly a preferable stance that stands in stark contrast to eternal hell - a doctrine that holds sinners will be liquefied in the flames for trillions and trillions of years. What kind of God creates such a pointless torture chamber?

So you're telling me Augustine accepted annihilation? That's news to me, and I think John Calvin would be shocked by that tidbit since he relied heavily on Augustinian thought and didn't accept annihilation.

Evil was not created by God so, yes, it goes into non-being. Human beings, however, are created entities and, therefore, cannot cease to be since the Creator willed them into being in the first place. God, says Origen,

Irenaeus, according to Ramelli, shares the same belief (that is, non-being for created beings is impossible):

"Neither the substance nor the essence of what has been created can be annihilated […] But when the present state of things passes away, and humanity has been renewed and flourishes in an incorruptible state, so to preclude any possibility of decay, there will be a new heaven and a new earth, in which the new humanity will remain forever, living with God" (AH 5.36.1).​

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 7:33 AM