What are the common Easter traditions in your country?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
What are they, which do you celebrate/follow, which do you ignore?

So for my and generally in america the boiling, dying, coloring and hiding of Easter eggs is a thing. As are the sale if easter baskets,.candy, chocolate bunnies, peeps, and hiding and finding them.

Putting on your best Sunday go to meeting clothes for church is imperative.

Dinner was often ham, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs...

As a kid we followed all the traditions, and for my kids we did the same.

What are they, which do you celebrate/follow, which do you ignore?

So for my and generally in america the boiling, dying, coloring and hiding of Easter eggs is a thing. As are the sale if easter baskets,.candy, chocolate bunnies, peeps, and hiding and finding them.

Putting on your best Sunday go to meeting clothes for church is imperative.

Dinner was often ham, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs...

As a kid we followed all the traditions, and for my kids we did the same.

You forgot about the annual Easter Egg Roll at the White House!

I don't celebrate Easter, but a tradition among Ukrainians are the elaborate dyed eggs as well as certain foods that are served throughout the Lenten season and Easter.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Reactions: RJM
Usually ham, corn, and biscuits for dinner. Almost always dressed up nice and went to church. Going to see my parents and family, normally. This year was a big family video chat instead because we’re all locked inside.

In my country (Germany):

Chocolate eggs, lambs and bunnies, and decorated hard-boiled chicken eggs, get hidden for the children to find, ostensibly by the Easter Bunny.

Vases with budding branches of willow or hazel, hung with decorated, hollowed-out eggs.

In some regions, fountains on town square are decorated with green branches and eggs.

Bonfires on Easter Sunday are popular in some regions, in a few cases with rather gruesome overtones ("burning of Judas").

On Easter Sunday: extensive family brunches and/or afternoon "Coffee and Cake" family gathering, often planned around the attendance of a church service.

There is a country-wide ban on public dancing (with very few exceptions) on Good Friday, and in two federal states on Easter Sunday. This is hotly debated each year.

"Easter Bread": sweet wheat loaves, often with raisins and sugar covering, sometimes braided like challah.

In my family:

In the Catholic branch of my family, it is customary to for the person who got up last on Palm Sunday morning (the Sunday before Easter) to be called the "Palm Donkey".

Sweets for the children was always part of Easter weekend.

Chocolate eggs, hot cross buns and church services. With HZ in complete lockdown the services have been virtual rather than actual, the chocolate and hot cross buns have been excellent.

Reactions: wil
Chocolate eggs, hot cross buns and church services. With HZ in complete lockdown the services have been virtual rather than actual, the chocolate and hot cross buns have been excellent.

The chocolate and hot cross buns were actual, not virtual, eh? <(^x^)>

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Easter Sunday 2020. Daughter #2 came over for lunch, we had cheese pizza. Skyped with daughter # 1. Watched movies, Daughter #2, wife and self walked the dogs. Daughter #2 went home. Wife & self relaxed, watched movie, had dinner and. went to bed. We awoke next day.

Reactions: wil
I so like hearing others traditions!

I have a friend who's family has Easter egg battles. They dye and decorate.their hard-boiled eggs and then hold them in their hands to "peck" at other eggs, cracked shell loses, they each try and compete till there is the winning egg.

This year she was with her mother and Skyped to siblings families...and the two of.them battled with eggs representing the "distancing" family members. So cute!

Back